cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search engine?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Search engine?

Something odd has happened, my search engine has unrequested by me changed itself from Google to Yahoo!! I'm rather curious about this since, my browser (Firefox) during updates (including one yesterday) usually gives me the option to install the Yahoo toolbar, I am very careful to always decline.
So far my attempts to reinstate Google have failed...anyone else?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Search engine?

Do you mean you cannot open Google or you cannot set it as the default browser?
Euge
Grafter

I don't know about firefox but on IE8 it would be
tools > internet options > programs tab > manage add ons
The you should be able to see the search options listed on one of the tabs.
Like I say thats on IE, it might be similar on firefox  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 102

FF3.5 you just choose manage me search engines from the drop down on the search box.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

click on the little icon next to the search box
Community Veteran

Both Santiago actually.
I'm just going to do a restart to see if the normal resets itself. I was Googling happily this afternoon, and left the PC on, went away to do something else for several hours, forgetting it was switched on, returning a few minutes ago and by chance noticed Yahoo was in residence.
The only out-of-the ordinary is that I had a mains blow-out today while the PC was switched on (nothing to do with the PC I rapidly add) and just did a "as normal" restart. none to sure why that should effect it, not sure if the browser was open at that time...it might have been.
I'll let you know if anything changes after the re-start. Not really expecting to.
If the worst comes to the worst I can do a restore, apart from yesterdays Firefox update nothing much else has changed.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The same thing happened to me and that was yesterday as well so it looks as if yahoo has been a bit crafty.  I uninstalled it last night.
Community Veteran

Ok restart done and rather to my surprise it is fixed. The tab as described by adiewoo and Oldjim is now available, it wasn't before the restart. Very odd!! I'm aware of so going's on between MS and Yahoo lately, but I'm not sure they can alter your settings without your permission...or can they? I of course have IE (not sure which version) that I can't get rid of, but under normal circumstances I don't use it and never open it, its just there, stripped down to its minimum level.
But thank you guys, as usual you can be relied on to offer words of wisdom.

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
The same thing happened to me  I uninstalled it last night.

Uhmm! Over a period of time I've uninstalled Yahoo (toolbar) several times (through Programmes and features in Vista) but it has returned to the list just as often, I guess MS updates puts it back whether I want it or not.

Community Veteran

After yesterday's tie up between MS and Yahoo I guess we will have to be more vigilant in the future. Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or do what I do, M$S just notifies me, then I do a custom update and refuse those I dont want
Community Veteran

Good idea pierre, only problem is, a number of Windows updates are meaningless to the uninitiated (although I guess even I would spot Yahoo if it was actually called that) so generally I simply accept Windows updates en-bloc on the assumption they're there for a reason, not very scientific but easier than trying to decipher obscure titles.

Community Veteran

They normally classify their updates as 'critical' or 'optional'.  I normally accept the critical ones only.