cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search engine...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Search engine...

My preferred search engine has changed itself from Google to Bing. I think unasked by me - but who knows when downloads are being done -.

After deleting and selecting Google as the only one to use from the FireFox list of possible search engines, but Bin refuses to go away.

How can I get Google back and remove the unwanted Bing?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Search engine...

I am using Firefox 51.0.1 and Google is showing as my preferred search engine. Some time ago I had the same problem with Bing appearing as the search engine but it appears to have corrected itself.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I've had this and it's annoying - something to do with bundled programs that have been downloaded.

Cannot recall how I got it sorted but I did. Do an online search to find out how? Ironic I know.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@petlew I know you use the Mozilla forums and maybe this is the place to ask your question and get a definitive answer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@petlew  To set your preferred engine to Google.. ( on firefox ).

Tools > Options     then type in  www.google.co.uk   and follow instructions..

OR... call up Google  on your BING search box.... then when you have the google page open.... highlight/select the URL and drag and drop it onto the "House" or home icon... Or maybe right click and see if the option is there to make it your home page..

IF you have a look in Control Panel   .   Programs   you may find you have BING listed.... just "uninstall it " ...

Community Veteran

Thank you.

I've tried a number of these and other fixes, none of which work... so far any way.

My search box shows only Google as an option, everything else including Bing has been removed in 'options' but at this time Bing still overrides everything else.

I'm currently running a full malware scan on that computer and using a different one for this post. That could take sometime.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

PS. apparently the one that may work and the one I've so far avoided is a FireFox reset, but this may have other unwanted consequences.

Community Veteran

I doubt it is "malware"... it was installed, when you installed another program, probably, without checking what the pages on the install were saying..  some are very clever, and use an underlined link, to open a new page to stop an install of bing... and not the usual check this box type refusal..

Search on the "start" box  for Bing... and then when it comes up.. "open folder"  and delete every reference or files in the folder..

then do anothe search from the "start" box... and keep doing this, until nothing is found..

then run CCLeaner in Registry mode... to clear any references to bing in the registry...

You should be able to make ANY search engine your "default" search/home page from the Tools > Options >General page...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Pro Tip:
When installing downloaded software, don't just click nextnextnextnextnextnextnextnextnext, cos you'll end up opting in to allowing dodgy stuff to be installed which could be potentially unsafe...

Community Veteran

I have a FF app called "unchecky" that empties any tick boxes to blank. Very useful as you have to tick anything you may want rather than it creeping up on you. I don't recall seeing any recent reference to Bing, but as Shutter says it could have been buried.

@shutter, I tried the start button search but it didn't find anything at all, totally blank. Bing doesn't appear in the programme (control panel) list either. Nor in FF addons.

Community Veteran

@shutter again. Google is set as my search engine in the drop list and in "options" in fact its the only one showing. Bing still overrides it though.

Community Veteran

@petlew  OK... Tools> options>  Search ( in the left hand column)... make sure that Google is in the "default  search engine "box

And below, that in the larger box... delete all other search engines,   ( highlight/select and use the "remove" bottom right corner )....  except google...

Community Veteran

@petlew

Something further down on this thread might solve it...  it's almost certainly been installed as a default extension by something you have installed...

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Firefox/How-do-I-permanently-remove-Bing-as-a-default-search-tool/m-p...

Community Veteran

Its a bit difficult to check FF as the malware search is still in progress. @nozzer, I had already worked through most of the advice in that link and several others of the same type. @shutter, I had done all that previously, but it made no difference.

The thing I can' t answer for the time being is one comment in Nozzers link, about whether the Bing url is http or shttp. I also have another FF app that is supposed to search url's and change them to shttp if they're not already. Anyway when the malware search is finished I'll check for it.

The malware search probably won't be finished before I return to work so it'll be a while.

Community Veteran

@petlew

Second to last entry will probably do it..

Try to delete the search.json file and possible search-metadata.json and search.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder to reset the search engines to the default.

You can use this button to go to the current Firefox profile folder:

Firefox will rebuild the search.json file from the default built-in search engines that come with Firefox and the searchplugins folder in the Firefox profile folder.

If it's still there there's a small prog called SearchReset that "should" get rid of it...

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/rid-bing-mozilla-64941.html