Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrooge is alive and well

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Scrooge is alive and well

Currently, he has several "accomplices" working with him, in the largest broadcasting company in the UK...

Those "accomplices".. and Scrooge himself, are considering to cancel the FREE TV Licence concession, to the old and lonely, pensioners after the current period ends in 2020..

In other words, ... they want more money for their "bonuses" every year, and are going to grab it from the lower paid viewers who have to eke out their lives on a small pension, with little else in the way of "entertainment". by watching repeats of programs some as much as 40 years old, which have already been paid for, over and over again, and have garnered in more revenue from overseas sales.

The BBC is the one...  YUP.. !... they are trying to "justify" this cancellation, because the old pensioners spend more time watching telly, than anyone else, so they should have to pay more for it ....

Kinda stinks, don`t you think... ? ? ?  pensioners providing bigger bonuses for the bosses who show old programmes to old people Angry

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/bbc-reveals-plans-review-free-13225630

(Some "interesting" comments at the end of that report) ...

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

Re: Scrooge is alive and well

Maybe they should bring back Slot TVs...pay as you watch. Lips_are_sealed

I actually watch very little.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I think you still needed a tv licence to use them slot tv`s... cos they were "hired out" by companies such as "Radio Rentals".... not the BBC !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If the BBC closed down it would probably be weeks before I noticed. If I ever did.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Amazing how this most politically correct organisation is so happy to generealise about old people.  Can you imagine if they did that about any other group.  Perhaps they should watch some of their own documentaries; many old people get involved in the most amazing activities.  Some even run large broadcasting institutions, e.g. Sir David Clementi and Lord Hall of Birkenhead, age 69 and 67 respectively.  Granted, they do not qualify for the free TV licence yet, but they are past the normal retirement age.  The executive co-chairman of 21st Century Fox is 87.  I understand there is even a 92-year-old woman in SW1 who heads the country, and has done so since 1952.

Perhaps their next claim will be that the reason for the large number of repeats being shown is that older people ALL have poor memories and won't remember having watched the same programme yesterday.  The most frequent opinion I hear expressed by people of all ages is that "there is too much rubbish on TV these days" and nothing worth watching.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well if the TV Tax people were so adept, and could enter your property without your consent (P.S. you need a court warrant to do that). Then Noel Edmons might pay.

I don't suppose he is lacking money from Deal or No Deal, or as I like to call it Skill or No Skill. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@shutter wrote:

Those "accomplices".. and Scrooge himself, are considering to cancel the FREE TV Licence concession, to the old and lonely, pensioners after the current period ends in 2020..

The BBC is the one...  YUP.. !... they are trying to "justify" this cancellation, because the old pensioners spend more time watching telly, than anyone else, so they should have to pay more for it ....

Why should the TV licence fund the government social welfare programme?

Many pensioners have two pensions and done very nicely out governments eager to win their votes, as they are more likely to vote than younger people.

Watching TV isn't vital, people aren't forced to watch TV, the same as people aren't forced to drive a car and are required to pay vehicle tax and have insurance.

To portray pensioners as penniless & down trodden is far from the truth, just look at the multitude of ads on TV aimed at pensioners indicates they have spare money to spend.

As more & more TV slips behind a paywall do you think Sky, Netflix or Amazon are going to provide their services free to anyone over 75 ?

If the government can raise the age at which people receive the state pension it makes sense to look at possibly raising the free TV licence age to 80, also why should an entire wealthy household be granted a free TV licence just because they claim someone over 75 lives with them?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@shutter

I Suspect this is just the start, next things on the list will be free bus passes & the triple lock on pensions.

@christmas

Do not be to quick to support a end to the free tv licence as the government are not bothered if you are rich or poor, everybody loses it and..........one day you will be old yourself !

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@christmas  Now that`s an interesting "nom-de-plume" considering the title of this thread.....

Why should the TV licence fund the government social welfare programme?

The tv licence is supposed to fund the BBC.... and cover it`s running costs... those "running costs" include the salaries of ALL the staff, from the TOP MAN, who gets a big bonus every year, ( funded from where  ? ? ?  oh,  the tv licence..( in part, probably, ) so don`t  give me that it is funding social services.

On the other hand, TV could be classed as a "social service"... especially to those penniless and down trodden pensioners, who live alone in poor accomodation, scared to put the lights on, or have a warm fire, or central heating on during the winter, due to the fear of huge bills. To those pensioners, watching TV is their way of feeling as though they are in touch with the world,... News programmes, local and national, keep them informed, and my well be the only human voice they hear for days on end.  Socially, they interact with the "soaps" and become a "part of them" in their own way...

If TV /entertainment companies, see fit to charge for their services, then that is a commercial decision, of private companies, compared to the state demanding that the BBC be "free to air" as part of their remit. so your comparison fails at the first hurdle.

If your rich and upstanding pensioners can afford to watch those "hiding behind paywalls", then so be it... I have no objection to them spending their money on leisure activities. 

you said... " To portray pensioners as penniless & down trodden is far from the truth, "...

You have just posted an insult to myself, and many others, yes, even on this forum, who are exactly what you are denying is a truth.

Granted, there are many pensionable people, who have pots of money in the bank, who live abroad, and cream off the state... however, even at 75 years old, they have less time to live, and "enjoy" their retirement, than you have in front of you, given that you must be under pensionable age, to be able to post such a statement.

Personally, my wife and I, find it difficult to live on the state pension, but by very careful management, we manage to do it, with some dignity. We also know that there are many more, that are not coping as well as us.

The tv licence may not be of any consequence to you, and your lifestyle,... I bet you pay more for your phone/broadband/tv package per month, than we, and many thousands of pensioners pay for their food bill..

The £12.00 (soon to be increased) per month represents about £3.00 per week which would improve the quality of life of those " penniless & down trodden  pensioners" that you deride so easily.

You may be looking forward to your next holiday abroad, but the penniless and down trodden pensioners, will only be looking forward to the next episode of their favourite soap, or whatever programmes interest them... ultimately, they are looking forward to dying,....... probably, alone.

One day... you may be among their number, so I hope you will remember this post for the rest of your llife.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

I get the feeling this thread was started because of a vested interest either by someone in receipt of a free TV licence or fast approaching the age of 75.

What's insulting about pointing out not all pensioners are on their uppers and in need of free hand outs or charity.

Back in 2014 the Daily reported the cost of the free TV licences was already over £600m and by 2030 it would cost £1.2bn, that 4.3m free licences were issued that year.

Pensioners are healthier and living longer, this is recognised by the state pension having risen and due to rise again, therefore it makes sense to again at the age when someone qualifies for a free TV Licence.

Why should someone with hundreds of thousands of pounds have the right to a free TV licence?

Many pensioners are sitting a large asset, in London a 3 bed terrace house that sold for less than £80,000 in 1999 now sells for £500,000. Under the right to buy many social housing tenants have made a fortune at ratepayers/council tax expense.

I'm sure many Pensioners have children why don't they treat their parents to a TV licence.

Why should households with average or above incomes be able to claim a free TV licence for mum or granny who happens to live with them?

If pensioners (silver surfers) are paying for a telephone and internet access, then they can afford to pay for a TV licence.

No one is forced to watch TV, it's a choice people can make. If someone chooses to go fishing they well need a licence, drive a car and you will require a licence, the vehicle taxed, insurance and possibly a MOT.    

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

.@christmas

Do not be to quick to support a end to the free tv licence as the government are not bothered if you are rich or poor, everybody loses it and..........one day you will be old yourself !

If pensioners can't afford to live and are dependent on free this and that or hand outs, the question is why.

Is it because when they were younger they squandered their money or put money aside for later life?

Were they in receipt of low pay and could not afford to put money into savings.

Should the voters of the UK take the blame for electing politicians who cut taxes meaning pensioners aren't sufficiently provided for?

As for television, look how BT have manipulated the Champions League away from Free To Air. The US Open I believe was only available on Amazon. Similarly Eurosport will probably prise Wimbledon away from free to air channels.

ITV has the rights to horse racing, most likely because of the betting ads it attracts. I can see ITV and C5 saying why should they give away their best programmes for free as subscription or pay as you go becomes the norm. The broadcasters will still have the advertising, sponsorship, product placement plus the subscriptions and the potential to moneytise the viewing habits of their customers. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Somehow, methinks, @christmas has "lost the plot"... and consequently decided to take the route of "off topic" to disguise his obvous bias against poor pensioners. ...by talking about what happened to his favourite "freebies" being siphoned off to "paid for" channels.

Such a shame, he has  to pay for it, to watch it now.... ah well, he can probably afford it anyway. he isn`t a poor pensioner, after all.....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

If THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE BBC does decide to rescind the free tv licence to over 75`s,

'because they watch more television than other age groups'

then he will be BREAKING THE LAW .

this law..

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/work-learning/discrimination-rights/the-equality-act/

Which clearly states....

What is the Equality Act?

The Equality Act is a law which protects you from discrimination. It means that discrimination or unfair treatment on the basis of certain personal characteristics, such as age, is now against the law in almost all cases.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@christmas wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

.@christmas

If pensioners can't afford to live and are dependent on free this and that or hand outs, the question is why.

Is it because when they were younger they squandered their money or put money aside for later life?

Were they in receipt of low pay and could not afford to put money into savings.

You have simply answered your own question there !

Both my self and my wife worked all our lives, myself full time and the wife part time, there was no pension scheme where she worked despite it being a well known catalogue company so she now gets a old age pension based on NI contributions in other words she gets less than the full state pension.

In my case the wages were very low but at least the job was secure with a small pension at the end based on the number of years you got in.

First vehicle I could afford to buy second hand was a minivan when I was 26 years of age and only by having no annual holidays we were able to save up for that. During my holidays I got casual work at Manpower !

So I think the least the government can do is give me a reasonable state pension, indeed I would be happy to get the pension that some older folk get in the EU.

Once on holiday in Spain we were in a hotel where the state gave pensioners a free weeks holiday in a hotel, so I would settle for that rather than the TV license.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

My wife and I are certainly not the just about scraping by pensioners. We could well afford the licence fee. As for the free license we take the perk, because it is an entitlement, and I do not think it is for anyone to criticise people like us for accepting effective extra income. The use of it is ours to decide.

Personally, I consider it would be better for the pension to be raised for those of age to receive the freebie, (with abolition of  80+ insult). We plutocrats could then pay tax at whatever rate decreed due on our income.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.