Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screensavers

petlew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Screensavers

Being in a nostalgic frame of mind - idle with nothing else better to do in lockdown actually - I thought I would look to see if I could find screensavers that were around the time of Windows 3.1, some members may never heard of this operating system and its myriad of problems.

The screen saver I am looking for is the animated motorway, for those who remember it, it was an overhead view of I think three lanes each way of moving traffic, dead boring, every now and again something would happen such as a crash. But I can’t find it listed anywhere in any classic screensaver listings. I can find those other favourites of Win 3.1 Johnny Castaway, Pipes and a number of other classics.

To be honest, I don’t have a screensaver set on my computers, but I might just be tempted by Motorway, if anyone here can help locate it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Screensavers

My earliest were the energizer bunny, the fish tank, and best of all those sheep bouncing in time to the 1812 Overture where they would eventually start to explode as they hit the ground. 😋

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Cor, that's a blast from the past!

Never really used them at the time, my Mac Mini justs goes onto sleep mode after around 5 minutes which also shuts off the monitor. Of course no-one uses CRT's anymore.

PowerLee
Pro

I remember the pipes screensaver from my early days of using Windows.

Wasn't there also one called stacker train - animated goods train?
petlew
Community Veteran

I actually quite like Jonny Castaway. Sat on a tiny desert island under a palm tree fishing. Occasionally a coconut would fall on his head, he would catch fish, light a fire and cook it, or very occasionally a large shark with which he would have a fight with on the end of his fishing time. At other times he would be asleep, while a pleasure steamer (and possible rescue) sailed past.

You could watch this screen saver for weeks and not see all the possible options. Simple pleasures while trying to get floppy discs (the real floppies not those 3.5inch later ones) to read in their enormous machines, and grapple with the recalcitrant Windows 3.1.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Strat
Fixes: 505

Pipes Screensaver

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 87.0 (64-bit)

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@petlew wrote:
I actually quite like Jonny Castaway. Sat on a tiny desert island under a palm tree fishing. Occasionally a coconut would fall on his head, he would catch fish, light a fire and cook it, or very occasionally a large shark with which he would have a fight with on the end of his fishing time. At other times he would be asleep, while a pleasure steamer (and possible rescue) sailed past.

That sounds better than the average evening on the BBC, and presumably no licence was required.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.
petlew
Community Veteran

It might well be: Try this for Johnny Castaway, there are longer versions, this one in total is around 35 minutes.
https://youtu.be/5EKb9tlVVtw

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

I would never admit to the amount of time I spent watching this.....

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 52

+1 for Jonny Castaway Smiley
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!