Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Cleaner

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Screen Cleaner

We've tried all sorts to clean our LCD television screen but nothing seems to work. Any ideas guys?

Back in my TV repairman days we used to have a foam cleaner for those nicotine stained screens we used to get. Worked wonders - especially if you gave it a quick cleaner whilst the customer was putting the kettle on, and came back in amazed to see a lovely clear picture after you had "just given it a bit of a tweak" with your magic screwdriver!

Perish the thought that they knew all you had done is wiped all that brown gunk off. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Screen Cleaner

Nilglass, without a doubt! Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Soap & water on a microfibre cloth, not too wet though, then dry with another microfibre cloth, simple...

Pete11
Pro

I use lens cleaning wipes from a poundland, works great. Smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman

You were a kind TV engineer cleaning a whole screen. We used to make sure the customer was near and only cleaned one corner showing them how to do the rest.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Spontex disposable dusters have done a great job on my TV since 2011.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Johnsons Baby wipes....

If they can clean a baby`s bum, then a tv screen will be no problem... dry off with Paper Kitchen Towel...

Often use them for cleaning my laptop, and my actual desktop surface ( plain pine surface... not polished ).. brings it up like new...

Community Veteran

All I ever use is a damp kitchen towel followed by a dry one.

My screens only get/attract the usual black dust.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Whatever you use avoid chemicals at all costs! LCD screens have a special non-glare coating which is about as hard as a HB Pencil so you need to be careful not to wear through it. Cleaning it too often or with the wrong product could actually make it look worse as you break through the protective layer.

I use a microfibre cloth myself moistened with distilled water to avoid streaking. Never let the Mrs use furniture polish!

@shutter

No don't use paper towels, they're far too abrasive! Stick with a soft microfibre or lint free cloth.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

nozzer wrote:

Nilglass, without a doubt! Thumbs Up

Not recommended, it contains PROPANOL which is a solvent which will remove the anti-glare coating in no time.

Glass cleaners in general are a bad idea as many also contain vinegar which is too acidic for such a delicate coating.

Community Veteran

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

BTW, if any of you do want a good 'FREE' cleaning cloth most opticians will give you one if you ask nicely. I found Specsavers were very generous and their cloths are a little bigger than some I've seen and being lint free they're even better. 

Probably best to go clutching a pair of spectacles if you do ask.

Community Veteran

MKSlinky wrote:

most opticians will give you one if you ask nicely

Walking past Scrivens the other week they had a table set up outside with goody bags.

Not able to resist anything free I grabbed one. Had the usual money off offers, sticky note pads, and of course spectacle cleaning cloths.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben

Job done! Thumbs Up