cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrapping car, and what to do with the V5

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Scrapping car, and what to do with the V5

I got my son a new car and he's going to scrap his old one (it's being collected later today) but what do I do with the V5? As I see it we keep and send away the yellow part (Section 9) but do I give the remainder to the guy when he collects it? Is he a new keeper so that part get filled in? Confused.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Scrapping car, and what to do with the V5

you need to read this.. https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/scrap-your-car
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Thanks for that. But it doesn't say if I need to give him the V5. I am assuming I don't but I don't know for sure.
Fixes: 105

it says:
You’ll need to fill in section 9 (‘Notification of sale or transfer’) of your V5C registration certificate and send it to DVLA.

and get a CoD
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I know this, (and it's already been completed) as I said in my OP when I referred to the yellow section then did an edit to (Section 9) from your link. But it does not state that I need to give him the remainder of the V5C.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

No you only need to give the section 9 part. You then get a notice from DVLA that it has been scrapped and another from the scrappy to say it has been scrapped.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I nearly had to do this myself. I could be wrong (and I probably am) but I would have thought legally you have to transfer the vehicle to the person disposing of it so they have your consent to do so.
Community Veteran

Isn't that the point of Section 9 and of course my confusion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Section 9 is permanently scrapping, so you give that to the scrappy and they give you ££'s. Then when they have removed all the oils etc they send you a certificate of destruction (or why). And DVLA sends you a note saying it has been scrapped.
You don't have to do anything else.
I did it a couple of years ago.
Community Veteran

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that's confused. Doing the obvious thing I read the back of the Section 9, and it's states that I get it signed by the scrappy and my son then return to DVLA and give him the remainder of the V5C. So that clears that one up. I know what you're all thinking, but hey "I'm getting old" is the only defense I can offer!