cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrappers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Scrappers

Watching that scrappers program the other night which was a pointless way to spend my time but could not help but notice the number of cars in the yard that appeared to have bodywork that was ok.
My main problem with cars (usually 8 years old +) was the bodywork rather than the mechanical side of things. I Wonder if a lot has to do with people wanting the most recent model available ?
Of course there is a good used car market but I wonder if there is a point both in years or price where people would say they would not buy a car that was older than say 7 years or below a certain price say £2,000 ?
I am aware that bodywork on a car can look good but hide a multitude of problems through the skilled use of fibreglass but I still think many of these cars bodywork looked ok.
The engines were being sold abroad, for scrap or reconditioning ? Whatever why were they going abroad ?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Scrappers

Bodywork is secondary in my opinion. It's the running gear that is the most important thing to me. Bodywork can be worked on in the future but if your running gear is shot you're going nowhere.
As for sending the engines abroad, many reasons. In the UK, many cars are scrapped prematurely as the badge snobbery gets worse. In europe, many of our older cars are still holding their value and thus second hand engines will still be in demand. Also the chinese are hungry for metals to add to the melting pot hence the price of metal being quite high at the moment.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I got my current car from a scrapyard as a CATD write off. It had had a rear end shunt and the insurance had declared it a total loss.
The rear bumper had a gash in it but once removed, the shell behind it had no damage at all. To top it off, it still had 6 months MOT and a genuine 63K miles.
Not a brilliant car by any stretch of the imagination but I'm on my 4th year with it now and it has cost me around £1200 over those four years for the car, maintenance and MOT's
Community Veteran

Quote from: DomS
I'm on my 4th year with it now and it has cost me around £1200 over those four years for the car, maintenance and MOT's

In fairness thats pretty good .
Community Veteran

Much as my car annoys me, the total I've spent on it since I bought it equals around £600. My hairdresser was telling me how her new (to her) Suzuki had just cost her £600 for a new gearbox and clutch despite having half the miles of mine and half its age. It has just passed the MOT with an advise that a tyre is getting close to the limit and a pinhole in the CV boot.
Community Veteran

Do you do your own repairs on it or use a garage?
I tend to do my own repairs where possible, granted somethings like wheel bearings i can't do as I don't have a press but ball joints, engine removals / overhauls, wishbones, shocks etc I try to do myself where possible.
Community Veteran

Yup - I do all the work myself.
I've done the front shocks/springs, exhaust, new timing belt/water pump/tensioners, head gasket, battery, new bumper at the back and some other bits and bobs.
Oh and ECU / Immobiliser / EGR valve / MAP sensor / Crank sensor / full service every year / aircon compressor repair / new engine and gearbox mount / lambda sensor.
All of the above in the £600 I've spent on it  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It can be far harder to work on modern  cars due to the lack of space in the engine compartment compared to the cars of years ago.
Complex electronics even using code readers can be tricky to fix and with some modern cars even changing light bulbs can be a problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

that explains the low cost - at my age it has to go into the garage with significantly higher charges
Having said that I haven't had a major expense since the exhausts (two) needed changing at about 10 years old plus 4 new tyres
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I used to do my own repairs, including wheel bearings, and shocks, and bodywork, even to respraying  a whole car, using aerosol cans !... Likd OJ.. I am too inflexible, to be squatting down by the wheels, doing brake shoes , or crawling around upside down underneath... so...

I get "my man" to come and do the work.....
He is excellent...  charges me for parts at Cost Price from the factors.... comes to the house and works in all weather... if he has made an appointment,.. he is on time, and does a first class job... well he should do... he has a BSc in engineering. and does research on the car problem, so he knows how to do it...he also keeps up to date with current MOT regulations.. and advises me when things need to be looked at/fixed in a future appointment...