cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrap your landline phone

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Scrap your landline phone

I was at an INCA meeting yesterday to learn what was happening with the 5% of the UK consumers, farms, businesses  etc who'll not be on the Superfast Broadband scheme. At best they might be offered 2 mbps under a Universal Supply Obligation, though there was talk the UK Gov't would lift this to 10 mbps.  One of the small providers called B4RN (Broadband for the Rural North) provide 1 gbps FTTH for £30/month. If you are living in an apartment block? Then Hyperoptic will provide fibre to the flat with a minimum of 1 gbps from £30/month with a 15 minute provisioning time if they are already in your building.
The snippet of information which made me sit up was from the BT speaker. It is their objective to close down ISDN and PSTN by 2025. So nobody in their right mind will invest in new landline equipment for their home/business.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Scrap your landline phone

PSTN... isn't that the fancy name for a normal phone line? - Or am i getting confused with something else?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

are you thinking of POTS? (Plain Old Telephone Service)
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

PSTN (public switched telephone network) is the world's collection of interconnected voice-oriented public telephone networks, both commercial and government-owned. It's also referred to as the Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS).

And yes, BT do want to get rid but they will need Government approval.
Why? Well the cost of exchanges is very large and if every one was using VOIP or FVA (Fibre Voice Access) then the exchanges would be massively simplified so saving "loads of money".
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i long for the day when we dont need to have house phone to be able to use the internet  Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

do people really think this will end up cheaper for the end-user?
they'll just replace the current line rental with a different line rental.
it won't end up that you'll pay just for the internet connection.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: St3
... long for the day when we dont need to have house phone to be able to use the internet ...

You don't need to now ... if you're lucky enough to be on PNs FTTP trial.  PN will let you cease your copper line and you just pay £2.50 per month more for the Internet service only than if you had bundled Telephone and Internet services, so either £17.49 or £22.49 for unlimited usage depending on your package choice.  If you still want to use your existing phone number you could port it to a VoIP provider such as Voipfone.
Possibly something else to bear in mind regarding your questions in your FTTP for your parents thread.

Edit 1: corrected editing mistake
Edit 2: clarification
Community Veteran

did i read that right?
if you cease the line you end up paying £2.50pm more than if you still had the line and paid line rental on it?
so you are worse off if you remove the telephone line?
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: chenks76
did i read that right?

I'm not sure what you read, I noticed a typo and went back in to correct it and inadvertently deleted a chunk of the first line ... corrected now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

so you are worse off if you remove the telephone line?

Not worse off, no.  By paying £2.50 you're saving the line rental of £16.99, I make that a net saving of £14.49 but you may then need to subscribe to a suitable VOIP provider if you want telephone facilities.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

the post was edited after i said that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

But I bought my telephone, I'm not going to scrap it any time soon, especially not my rotary dial ones... Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I don't make many phone calls but had Anytime for £5pm in part because I didn't want to be hit with large bills when having to call 0845 (Yes I know that often one can find alternatives). Anytime just went up to £6pm and businesses are now forbidden (from next month for financial institutions) from requiring customers to use such numbers for contacting customer service.
I have just signed up with Three PAYG where calls to UK geographic and mobile numbers cost just 3p per minute which compares favourably with Plusnet's and others' rates for landline calls. I am now using my mobile for most outgoing calls. The £6 that I would have paid Plusnet each month would buy me a lot more calls than I expect to make. Line rental is now just part of my broadband charge.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not as cheap as paying Pulse8 £13 per month for the BT line rental and only 1p/minute for calls with per second charging and no connection fee!
Even allowing for the £2.50 increase in the monthly BB charge, a lot of Plusnet users could save by moving the phone to Pulse!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

do people really think this will end up cheaper for the end-user?

When I said save loads of money, I meant that BT would save loads of money. Not a chance of that being passed back to the customer. It will go in dividends and extra perks to the plc board.