cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrap perks for pensioners

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Scrap perks for pensioners

A group of conservative peers have called on the government to scrap perks for better off pensioners.

The money saved to be spent on the young.

Whatever your view on this, if it goes ahead it could see the end of the conservative party, this in my opinion was one reason they lost so many votes in the last election.

64 REPLIES 64
jab1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Re: Scrap perks for pensioners

Just so long as they scrap perks for MP's too - as if that would ever happen.Ticked off

And no - I'm not a well-off pensioner - in fact I'm quite a badly-off soon-to-be pensioner.

John
wotsup
Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

A group of conservative peers have called on the government to scrap perks for better off pensioners.

Whatever your view on this, if it goes ahead it could see the end of the conservative party, this in my opinion was one reason they lost so many votes in the last election.

There is enough money spent on young already,  when I was in school it probably cost 3d a week to educated me in classes of 40+,  now it costs eye watering sums for each child, Read an article the other day where councils spend average of £27K a year to some 'unregistered' schools to take in their excluded kids, and the number of kids being excluded is rising at an alarming rate..

Yes, good old Theresa took it upon herself to upset her core voters just before the 2017 election,  would not listen to other party members - being a difficult woman is one thing, but being a politically naive and stupid woman is quite another....

Baldrick1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

@gleneagles wrote:

To get a bit of balance, the version I read said that it is a cross party committee chaired by a Tory, not just the evil Tories attacking the elderly who, having collected all their perks, have come up with this.

It will be a bold, or suicidal party that would carry it through. However considering the quality of the incompetent shower in parliament and their advisors, who knows! 

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Carousel, as in Logans Run ?

agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 2

If those peers want to reduce perks for pensioners maybe they would like to offer to forego some of their benefits.

£350 per day attendance allowance, paid whether they are there for a whole day or just a couple of hours. Subsidised restaurants with fabulous food at bargain prices and subsidised bars with very cheap drinks. It is no wonder that there are frequent sightings of peers fast asleep during sittings in the House of Lords.

The same subsidised food and drinks benefits are available to MP's who get their salaries and expenses with very little accountability of their attendance levels in the House.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I am a pensioner. Personally, I'd be quite happy to see some of the perks mean tested eg Winter Fuel Allowance, Xmas bonus BUT previously I've been assured that means testing after the benefits have been awarded, would cost more to implement than the amounts saved. You would have to do it with new state pensioners -imagine the outcry of unfairness!!

Can't see the fairness in the triple lock -as long as the SP increases in line with wages seems fair enuf to me.

As to abolition of the OAP bus pass ? Seems a retrograde step when we are being encouraged to use public transport -imagine all those 80+ drivers getting their cars out, increasing congestion and causing mayhem in car parks just to go to the local supermarket.

Free over 75 TV license ? Thought the Govt. had passed the ball to the BBC ?

The NHS is firmly against abolition of free prescriptions as there is evidence that older people would stop taking medication to spend the money elsewhere ,similarly abolition of free eye tests.

Luzern
Aspiring Champion

@wotsup wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

There is enough money spent on young already,  when I was in school it probably cost 3d a week to educated me in classes of 40+,Are we seeing the benefits of that generous spending here?  now it costs eye watering sums for each child, Read an article the other day where councils spend average of £27K a year to some 'unregistered' schools to take in their excluded kids, and the number of kids being excluded is rising at an alarming rate..A lot of exclusions arise from league tables, OFSTED, and parents not wanting their darlings to learn to cope with those, who are different. Education is not like a game of football, nor is politics

Yes, good old Theresa took it upon herself to upset her core voters just before the 2017 election,  would not listen to other party members - being a difficult woman is one thing, but being a politically naive and stupid woman is quite another....With the core as it seems now, nationalistic, jingoistic, gradgrind mean, I'm considering moving my voting intentions, but certainly not in the direction of @wotsup 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A bunch of berobed buffoons out of touch with the real world.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I can add little to most of the previous comments as I fully agree with most of them.

Whatever a government wants to do it would seem sensible to keep quite about things like this until you get into power and then implement them.

I accept it's a cross party of peers looking at this but common sense should indicate you look at this after a election and not before...perhaps this is a case where honesty does not pay !......and that general election....getting closer by the day.

Corbyn stands no chance ? They said that about Trump.......we move closer to the edge each day...

Baldrick1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

@davidj66 wrote:

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see some of the perks mean tested eg Winter Fuel Allowance,

There's nothing to stop any-one who feels this way from giving their unwanted benefits to a charity that supports young people.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@davidj66 

"The NHS is firmly against abolition of free prescriptions as there is evidence that older people would stop taking medication to spend the money elsewhere ,similarly abolition of free eye tests"

What, like buy food, or petrol for that car to go and get it from the supermarket? How outrageous! 

Sure there are many pensioners that are doing quite nicely and could do quite nicely without those so called perks, but I bet you a pound to a miserable penny they are in a minority. Most of us manage well enough and in my my case, only because of those extras over and about my basic State pension. 

We have not all retired to the sun in Spain y'know. Some of us are still in the UK trying to keep warm. Maybe we should be more grateful for what we receive that is being given with reluctance?

8BKA
Aspiring Pro

wrote Corbyn stands no chance ? They said that about Trump.......we move closer to the edge each day...

And Diane Abbott as Home Secretary you could not make it up

Also working OAPs to pay NI contributions more of the suggestions below

https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2019/04/25/lords-call-for-working-pensioners-to-pay-ni/

https://www.ftadviser.com/state-pension/2019/04/25/pensioners-reliant-on-state-benefits-reaches-all-...

Brian A

Luzern
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@davidj66 

"The NHS is firmly against abolition of free prescriptions as there is evidence that older people would stop taking medication to spend the money elsewhere ,similarly abolition of free eye tests"

What, like buy food, or petrol for that car to go and get it from the supermarket? How outrageous! 

Sure there are many pensioners that are doing quite nicely and could do quite nicely without those so called perks, but I bet you a pound to a miserable penny they are in a minority. Most of us manage well enough and in my my case, only because of those extras over and about my basic State pension. 

We have not all retired to the sun in Spain y'know. Some of us are still in the UK trying to keep warm. Maybe we should be more grateful for what we receive that is being given with reluctance?

@Minivanman I admit to being, with two employer DBS pensions, 2 x state pensions, house and investments, we are more comfortable than many, but taking free bus travel as one example, it allows me to limit my driving ( may be to the improved safety of others), social intercourse, which in many reduces loneliness and depression, often a charge on the NHS. Such benefits cannot be costed in £p.

Prescriptions, the new charge is £9 per item for us £108 per month, or, thank goodness, commuted to roughly £17.50 with a Prescription Prepayment Certificate. Worse would be if every visit to the doc cost, as some would like.

IMO socially worthwhile matters are things to which all should contribute by the tax and other imposts they pay, and some should contribute more than others according to their means. For me means tests are out; one for their bureaucracy  and expense, two because they are a discouraging barrier.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.