Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrap perks for pensioners

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Scrap perks for pensioners

@wotsup 

I was being facetious I know about means testing, it is degrading as you say and it is a serious issue. 

I suppose one way would be to cancel the lot and just give it to those who are already in receipt of means tested benefits. I can see liitle cost in implementing this but maybe you are right, just leave well alone and leave the majority with what little extras they get. If we cannot let over 75s have a free televison licence for example, what does that tell us about the society we live in, or the government we have elected which has deemed it prudent to pass the decision over to the BBC knowing full well what the outcome will be despite any 'public consultation'. And bus passes for heavens sake. If it was not for those we could not afford to go into town more that once a week if that (£20 return for both of us) but having one allows us that and more plus, it gets myself and the Mrs out for the day in the summer rather than being stuck stewing inn the house.

And just how much fuel do they think that allowance buys us? I'll tell you, not a lot. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

PS. Best not to mention then that over 70s do not have to pay to renew their driving licence.

Shhh. Roll eyes

Highlighted
mort7890
Rising Star

Best not to mention free TV licence then for the over 75's

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote 

@7up I don't know where you live or what your circumstances and experiences are but you must be a liberal or labour voter.

@wotsup  the first clause does hold water, but writing that someone must vote for a certain party because of their view expressed here on a subject goes too far. I for one, who have generally voted one way, would be prepared to vote contrary to the norm, if a policy were obnoxiously unacceptable.

Some of us are not sheep

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Edit my last post.

Over 70s, not over 75s. 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

@Anonymous 

Pensionable age is when you get your pension and currently that stands if I am correct at 68 for both men and for women.

If we look at the gov.uk site in order to check our state pension age we will note that State Pension age and Bus pass age are seperate items - although granted, they are on the same page hence the confusion perhaps.

The state pension age is being gradually increased for people born after some date in December 1953.  Had my mum jumped up and down a bit carelessly around that time, I would have been born earlier and not had to work three months and a week beyond my 65th to become eligible for my state pension.

The Older Persons Freedom Pass used to be provided at 60, but as (bad) luck would have it, as I approached that milestone, the goalposts were moved so that it is not provided until you reach your state pension age.  The same happened with the winter fuel allowance.  Boris Johnson, who was mayor of London when the rules regarding the Older Persons Freedom Pass were changed, decided that Londoners should have free travel from the age of 60, and introduced the 'Boris Pass' or 60+ London Oyster photocard which at £10 was a bargain considering it covers all the years until you become eligible for the Older Persons Freedom Pass (you can even link it to your future Freedom Pass application so that you don't have to provide a new photo).  I notice the fee is now £20, but still good value.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Strat wrote:

The young criticise the 'benefits' that the old folk get.

I wonder if they will still criticise them when they are in their 70's.

*Strat puts on his tin helmet.

A good point @Strat !

You old folk don't like it when the young criticise your perks... but you older guys have no issue with criticising the young even though they have far less support and resources ?

Pot, Kettle...

For years the older generations have been slating the young but when the tables are turned the oldies can't handle the heat.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 317

About 50 years ago I was out of work for a few months (company I worked at was bought out).

I received £4.50 a week dole money.

The rent on my bedsit was £3.00 per week leaving me with £1.50 a week for electric and food.

I lived on cheap mince and rice.

I told the dole office about my financial situation and they told me to tell my landlady to reduce my rent as it was too high.

We were thrown out and the landlady sold the house.

I slept in the park for a couple of weeks (admittedly it was Summer) then got a job where I met my future wife.

So I know a thing or two about hard times.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@7up 

Show me a healthy 25 year old with no home and no job, and this "older guy" will swap places in a heartbeat.

No takers? Well no, of course not.

Like the previous poster I have been homeless, been through hard times and have come through with mortgage repayments at 17% interest, redundancy (three times in my case) a wife and family to care for and now, grandchildren to help out when I can - and all on a state pension with more 'perks' than I know what to do with?

How lucky are we but really, how really lucky are they.

Open to offers but bear in mind, for some we might never have had it so good, but for many of us, we'll not have it for so long - and that's a fact.

Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

@7up 

I don't know where you live or what your circumstances and experiences are but you must be a liberal or labour voter.

Nope but I see i touched a nerve there with you being a tory supporter.

@wotsup wrote:

@7up 

No, people on benefits may not lead a rich and fulfilling life but they get an awful lot of perks

Do you REALLY believe that? - ATOS assessments cutting off peoples survival, mouldy flats, numerous health woes, public transport instead of a car, lower standards of education and usually not enough money for food yet alone utilities.

Do you really call those perks?

@wotsup wrote:

@7up 

a woman I used to work with reported her neighbours because they were a big family on benefits but if anything in their house got 'damaged' ( ie they got fed up of it and wanted a new one) it was replaced - including TV, carpets etc. 

Councils and the DWP do not replace TVs, carpets or other things. You are either being fed completely false information or you're gullable. and will believe anything.

It is of course possible to claim for these damages on an insurance policy for accidental damage however guess what... those insurance policies are not provided for free by the state and most certainly are not a 'perk'.

@wotsup wrote:

They also had a holiday home in Wales.

I think you've been listening to far too much hear say / gossip / chinese whispers. Well done on joining a witch hunt though.

@wotsup wrote:

As Minivan said you can tell a poor house because they have the biggest satellite dish and a decent car but the garden is a tip,  just a symptom of not caring and not doing anything they don't have to do. 

You're disgusting. You can tell a poor house because they've got expensive satellite TV and an expensive car? - What's wrong with you? Do you really believe poor people have so much money to burn? You're actually delusional.

Yes some of these people may have untidy gardens. Guess what? So do working people. We both work - I spent years out of work for various reasons but now have a job (well two technically as I also do some self employed work) and guess what? - Our front garden is an over grown mess. Oh no... we must be SCROUNGERS!!! How sad that you judge people as being on benefits just by the state of their garden. You really are in a state of despair aren't you.

@wotsup wrote:

just a symptom of not caring and not doing anything they don't have to do.

Or maybe they're bogged down with health problems. Maybe they have family problems. Maybe they are genuinely lazy. Maybe they're the victim of those like you trying to start a witch hunt. Maybe they don't even have the tools to afford garden tools.

@wotsup wrote:

There are generations of families that have never been off the benefit system, it is a way of life, and despite what you say they have found that having kids is a way of staying on benefits

Oddly many of these people are known to live in deprived areas where there is not a lot of work. Oh dear, reality sets in again but as long as we can dress it up, attack them as being lazy scroungers and justify the nastiness, it's all ok!

@wotsup wrote:

I worked with a single mom ( she only had one boy, her partner died ) who would have been better off on benefits because a lot of her salary went on childcare ( her family lived a distance away in Wales ) but she was proud to hold down a job and not sponge on the system. 

You said it yourself right there. Read what you've written and see what you're saying. You'll see it eventually.

Sponge off the system - you really do hold a low opinion of those who are on benefits.

The single mum (note the u not the o - come on, you're perfect right?). How do you know she'd have been better off on benefits? - Did you go through all of her finances down to the last penny? I very much doubt it. You've formed your opinion already based upon your superior knowledge of what you don't understand.

I suspect you're an american who has no real understanding of how things work here but are happy to provide your extremely judgemental and negative attitude to vent your own frustrations in life.

@wotsup wrote:

I used to work in a design office in the centre of  town and had a good view of people out and about in the daytime,  I was shocked at the number of young women ( girls most of them) pushing kids around in buggies with another few being dragged along - there was hardly any difference in the kids ages. 

But you'd be okay with it if they were all working professionals right? - Even though they'd have no time for their own children and have to neglect them?

Or maybe you think child birth should be restricted to the 40+'s? - Where it becomes far riskier both to the baby and to the mother?

Young mothers have been existent throughout the centuries of time. If there was no benefits system to support them you wouldn't have an issue with it. But we DO have a benefits system and because of that, these are terrible girls that must be victimised for having children.

Guess what? You can't even be sure that those young mothers you speak of are even on benefits. Some may well work, others may have well off partners (or as you mentioned above, a deceased partner), others might still be living at home having lost contact with the father etc.

But again, YOU KNOW IT ALL.

@wotsup wrote:

The girls all seemed to be smoking and chatting on phones,  and with cigarettes £8 + a pack that was money well spent !

I'm not going to even bother trying to defend that. I can't stand smoking or tattoos - especially when there are little kids involved so for completely different reasons to yours, I'm leaving this issue alone.

@wotsup wrote:

In fact I was shocked at the number of people of working age wandering around in the daytime,  you expect it to be older people with free time.

Why? Because older people are supposed to be more respectable and the young are supposed to be working like slaves?

Are you serious? Even young people are entitled to something called "Annual Leave" if they work. Others might be between jobs through no fault of their own. I think you need to get a grip on reality before you turn into a dictator.

@wotsup wrote:

So you think its hard and stressful for people today,  didn't get much harder than the workhouse 

Going by your last comment, that's where you think the young still belong.

@wotsup wrote:

lets face it nobody is really badly off today

So why do we have food banks, evictions, soaring profits in the bailiff industry, celebrity bailiffs on TV, record levels of debt along with many other symptoms of the breakdown in society?

Come on, tell me.

@wotsup wrote:

my wife has a friend in USA who had to carry on working with cancer after her health insurance ran out,

Guess what? So do many people here in the UK. I have a colleague at work who has worked all his life but has to return to work after having major surgery to remove cancer.

Where is his perk? Oh, company sick pay - and that runs out eventually too. 

@wotsup wrote:

the treatment took all her savings as well - and she died - that would never happen in this caring country we live in,  

WAKEY WAKEY.. people DIE OF CANCER in this country EVERY DAY.

EVERY DAY people are forced to sell their homes to pay for care.

EVERY DAY people lose all their savings trying to survive through bad times / health.

Do you really not see the world for what it is?

@wotsup wrote:

but to give more money to people who have kids they know that cannot afford, nah, I don't think so.

Without a doubt there is a very small minority out there who do this however as previously mentioned it IS A SMALL MINORITY.

You've read about one or two stories, heard someone somewhere say "ALL THESE SINGLE MUMS AND THEIR KIDS" and translated that in your own little head into some sort of negative agenda / crusade.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up 

Show me a healthy 25 year old with no home and no job

They're in every town centre sleeping in doorways. You really haven't got far to look.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

And some much much older. 

Being poor and homeless is not a preserve of the young but for many, it is about choice. We scrap for resources for the young and old but where is the real inequality in this country?

Like the homeless in doorways @7up we haven't got far to look.

Community Veteran

I don't really understand how any younger worker would criticise so called perks of the older generation. After all at the end of the day they will be their perks as well.

This is similar to some women shouting for equality but then not so happy when it comes to pensions.

You would think by now that everyone would realise that government bean counters will usually twist things in the totally expected direction of money saving cuts.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben 

I recall being told we were paying for the pensions of the previous generation and that the next would be paying for ours, the trouble is I don't see any of today's youngsters getting any state pension in the years to come, not unless and as they shift the retirement goalposts, they live to a hundred. 

Equality for both women and men when it comes to retirement age is totally correct, and it should have happened years ago. The trouble is of course many women who expected to recieve a pension at 60 or even 65 were denied it without enough notice. That was wrong, and they deserve to be compensated. 

It's so nice when myself and the Mrs agree on something. Thumbs Up

wotsup
Champion

For me it was always a bit wrong that women got a state pension 5 years before men. For one thing on average women live longer, and another is that a lot of women did not work, or worked shorter hours  and did not pay NI. If women wanted equality then pension at 65 was a good start.