cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrabble values

Fixes: 123

Scrabble values

Scrabble: Should letter values change?
All Scrabble players know that Q and Z are the highest scoring tiles. You can get 10 points for each, in the English language version of the game.
But according to one American researcher, Z really only deserves six points.
Lewis is not the first to propose an updated version of Scrabble, says John Chew, co-president of the North American Scrabble Players Association. He says he hears from people once or twice a year saying that the tile values are incorrect.
In fact this has been happening ever since the game was invented in 1938 by the American architect Alfred Butts, who calculated a value for each tile by measuring how frequently each letter appeared on the front page of the New York Times.

So could Scrabble tiles really be changed to adapt to our evolving vocabulary?
No, according to Mattel, the company which manufactures Scrabble in Europe.
"Mattel has no plans to change Scrabble tiles. It is not a game where fairness is paramount, it is a game of luck and changing the tile values wouldn't achieve anything," says Philip Nelkon, Scrabble's UK representative.

Even if they did change I would still use the current values as I know them so well.
How many of us can remember the number of tiles for each letter and it's corresponding value without looking? I know I can Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Scrabble values

Don't forget, the Americans 'over-use' the letter 'Z' (where an 'S' ought to be) so in their language the 'value' would be different.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Also a Q needed a U to follow it which makes it more difficult to use Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We've a Francophone version which we use (in english)

Letter distribution A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ?
            Frequency 9 2 2 2 15 2 2                  2 8 1 1 5 2 6 6 2 1 6 6 6 6 2 1 1 1 1 2
                Value 1 3 3 2 1 4 3 4 1 8 10 1 2 1 1 3 8 1 1 1 1 4 10 10 10 10 0
Gives us an unfair advantage playing with 'french letters' Roll eyes
edit:- couldn't get the colums to line up
kmilburn
Grafter

one way to get text to line up is to change the font to monospace, the other is to use  a table.
Fixes: 123

I've tried using tables before but failed miserably  Embarrassed
Are there any instructions as I couldn't find them?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Had tried inserting a table before I posted, messed around for 30 minutes and got nowhere, so lined everything up carefully and still got it wrong Cry
Was trying to remember an example of a table somewhere in chit-chat (to insert and copy text)
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
Are there any instructions as I couldn't find them?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Table
Not young enough to know everything