Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish University fees

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Scottish University fees

If I understand this:-
English students are treated differently from students applying from other countries in the EU?
EU students get the same cheaper access to Scottish Universities as Scottish students, yet English pay full rate.
Under EU law Scottish Universities must provide EU students the same basis and entry requirements as domestic ones.

26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Scottish University fees

Be very interesting to see the outcome of this.
Community Veteran

@Journeys, you are right.
I heard on the radio today that the Scottish Government is to talk to the EU to seek to have EU students treated the same as English students.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So ... isn`t England, part of the EU... or is it considered part of a country that belongs to the EU...  and therefore can be treated differently to a "whole" country that belongs to the EU. ? by the scots
tinto
Grafter

This is a real can of worms and it will indeed be interesting to see how it all pans out. 
Quote from: journeys

Under EU law Scottish Universities must provide EU students the same basis and entry requirements as domestic ones.

By the same ruling any EU student applying  to an English University is liable for any applicable fees, so where do you think they'll be heading for?.
Let's assume the SNP succeed in their attempt to make EU students liable for fees.  You then have a situation where Universities have the option of admitting students resident in Scotland, and whose fees are paid at a level decided by the  Scottish Government, or "foreign" students, whose (higher) fees are set by the Universities.  Which students are most likely to be admitted?
Are we about to see students resident in Scotland unable to gain access to Scottish Universities because of Government policy?

These are just two points  that come to mind, doubtless there are others still to surface.
Community Veteran

A can of worms I think Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So does this mean I can claim to be from the EU and get cheaper rates than if I declare myself english?
Seriously.. thats sick isn't it. Seems like we're guilty of a crime the way we keep being penalised down here.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2011/06/repentant-sinner.html
Now Cameron's disillusioned senior policy adviser backs calls to pull out of Europe

barky
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
So ... isn`t England, part of the EU... or is it considered part of a country that belongs to the EU...   and therefore can be treated differently to a "whole" country that belongs to the EU. ? by the Scots

heading towards it there ... think it's viewed as an internal matter within UK .... already been examined by EU twice & deemed OK let's not forget.
Its based on domicile, where you live ... Basically any eligible person who has lived in Scotland in the 3 years before they apply for a place would get free tuition .... no matter who they are or where they come from .... Scot's who've lived outside in other parts of the UK for the 3 years before they apply for a place would have to pay the fees
OK ....  it's all likely partly aimed at highlighting how unfair the Westminster government is raising tuition fees so much .... and give Scots living in Scotland a better chance of getting a university place which could otherwise be flooded by people taking advantage of Scotland's separate education system & it's lower costs ... despite typically taking a year longer to achieve
It's not about being english, scottish (or whatever) ... its about where you've been resident last few years
csogilvie
Grafter

TBH, this was the only reason I went to uni - because I could get it free Smiley Even if there was an almighty cockup the first year it was offered!
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: barky
[
It's not about being english, scottish (or whatever) ... its about where you've been resident last few years

As barky says, it's all about where you live.  Another example is Germany, a federal Republic of autonomous States, where each state sets its own fee level.  A rather higher proportion of Germany's population is in further education than in the UK, there are more places available, and their financial situation is somewhat better than in the UK, but even so there is still pressure on places in certain states
idlewis
Grafter

The SNP's and the Scottish Government policy is no tuition fees in Scotland and although they would like to include English people to pay no fees, the universities in Scotland have been crying out for more money and although the Scottish Government has gave them money from within Scottish Government funds, it will dry up due to UK government giving less money to Scotland and that tis why they made this decision.
Would anyone like to live and work in Scotland because the Scottish government would like Scotland to be better than England and will put policies in place to reflect that.  i.e sure start fund, lower corporation tax and future job fund to annoy the English as they were axed by the UK Government especially if they win the Independence referendum.
Community Veteran

We may soon reach a situation where more people in England want Scotland to be independent than the number of Scots who want independence !
idlewis
Grafter

What will happen if Scotland is a better country in the future in terms of employment and lifestyle than in England as we do not get Labour or Tories in Government in Scotland.  Will people leave England to live and work in Scotland?
Community Veteran

Most unlikely.
No way can you change the weather in Scotland or get rid of the midges in the countryside.