Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Power, a phone call saved £492

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Scottish Power, a phone call saved £492

The Energy Supplier (Gas & Electric) on our main residence is Scottish Power.
We read our meters monthly, or when we change something, such as recently not having the CH on so much daytime.
So the latest reading were to hand.
Received an email from SP, requesting meter readings, entered OK
We don't use a lot of energy, being out of the UK quite a lot, especially this last year.
However, we did have quite a few guests over Christmas, which bumped up our normal usage for the last billing period.
So, having entered the latest readings, our Annual Consumption was calculated as being high.
I rang SP, to amend the DD details (Couldn't do this from abroad), and after a short conversation, at no point did I mention possibly switching supplier, the CS lady said let's see what we can do....
She came back with.... our new lowest Tariff comes into effect in April this year, I can put you on that.
Everything is less expensive, Standing Charge, Standard Gas & Electric Unit costs are all lower.
Standing Charge reduced by 35%, the greatest reduction. Gas down 8%, Electric down 3%
So, from our previous monthly payment of £93, which was increased to £121 after the meter readings, has now been reduced to £80 pcm.
Saving £492 for this coming year, to April 2016.

Now why don't they just tell us that without having to ring in ?
Of course, in a few months, after Winter billing period ended, I could have rung in and got a reduced DD due to less usage.
But I would have to ring in again.
So perhaps not £492 over the year, but even so, quite a substantial saving at the moment.

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Scottish Power, a phone call saved £492

A couple of points - I am with SSE - I automatically receive notification of new tariffs via email when they come into effect
You didn't save that amount - you just reduced your standing order so whether you will have a deficit or a credit at the end of the year is open to question
Taking the reduction of 8% and applying it to everything - standing charge, electricity and gas - the you saving over the year - based upon the new standing order is only £76.80 so you are kidding yourself if you think you saved that much. Of course if the majority of your bill will be gas the saving will be much less
Infinity
Pro

Appreciate that Jim.
The new Standing charge was amazing, a reduction of 35%, down from 31.56p / day, to 20.55p / day
(Actual reduced charges added)
I do normally also receive notification of new tariffs, this offer was obviously pre email, as it's not officially due to come into effect until April.
I take your point about the actual annual usage, hence my last paragraph.
Figures calculated by SP to show the same projected credit at the end of the year as previously.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Scottish Power have just been banned (by Ofgem) from selling new accounts until they get their billing and customer services sorted out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31728249
Community Veteran

I'd like to save that amount.
Though I suppose I would have to at least spend that amount first.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

I take your point about the actual annual usage, hence my last paragraph.
Figures calculated by SP to show the same projected credit at the end of the year as previously.

Whatever the final figures are for the whole year, it's still going to be proportionately cheaper post phone call tariff, than pre phone call tariff.
Quote from: nozzer
Scottish Power have just been banned (by Ofgem) from selling new accounts until they get their billing and customer services sorted out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31728249

The ruling relates to SP not sorting out some Customer Complaints
It came after the supplier failed to meet Ofgem's targets to clear up all outstanding Energy Ombudsman decisions regarding customer complaints.

I've always had really good Customer Service from SP.
No complaints at all.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it only applies to new customers, there not banned from selling products to existing customers.
also I just left them as there standing charge uprating increased my bill to almost double its prior levels, and went with a company that actually offers fixed prices on the energy and the standing charge, wont be making the mistake of going with them in the future !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

PlusComUK - all I can say with regards to SP's customer service is you have been lucky. I (and 3 others I know of ) all joined SP about 3 years ago, because they were (a) the cheapest by far,even given our disparate usage pattern, and at the time had great customer satisfaction results. However, they then decided to update their computer system, and that's when all four of us noticed a decline in service.
Meter reading request emails started to be missed, the estimated usage they used bore no resemblence to our actual, requests for them to substitute our correct reading failed and telephone wait times went through the roof.
We all switched suppliers, as our contracts finished around the same time, and getting final true reading invoices out of SP took one of us 4 months, and we all had to escalate our requests to CEO level before getting an acceptable resolution.
Whoever took the decision to instal the 'new, improved' computer system should have been sacked, because that's when all the problems started.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly agree with many of the points made about SP.
Was with them for a number of years and the last few years was paying them around £100  month in total for gas and electricity.
Moved to Extra energy and paying £70 a month but we have had a fairly mild winter.
What annoyed me most is that SP phoned me once they got a message about my transfer to another company and informed me they could offer me a much cheaper deal which would be around the amount EE were offering me.
Clearly there is no loyalty when it comes to existing customers and you only get offered a better deal when they know you will leave them.
In all fairness most companies have the same attitude to existing customers as those who take out car & house insurance know.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

She came back with.... our new lowest Tariff comes into effect in April this year, I can put you on that.
Everything is less expensive, Standing Charge, Standard Gas & Electric Unit costs are all lower.
Standing Charge reduced by 35%, the greatest reduction. Gas down 8%, Electric down 3%
So, from our previous monthly payment of £93, which was increased to £121 after the meter readings, has now been reduced to £80 pcm.
Saving £492 for this coming year, to April 2016.

Estimated bill arrived, on course for the whole £492 saving