cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Power Customer Service - Totally Incompetent.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Scottish Power Customer Service - Totally Incompetent.

Well, I was going to switch to Scottish Power, after my previous thread about future proofing energy supplies.

I have been trying to contact their customer services, by their website. as I am hard of hearing and I cannot understand people on the phone... so I sent a simple message, regarding payment of bills "on demand" monthly... and could I do that, instead of paying by Direct Debit... 

Here is the sequence of emails that have been sent by the incompetent nincompoops that they are employing to give the company a bad name......

I would love to put their names on the replies, but I don`t know what the legal position is regarding publishing them on a forum...

What prompted me, was an email from my current supplier EDF telling me my current deal with them expires on July 31st 2016 and if I dont switch they will put me on the "standard tariff"...

14 JUNE 2016  ....... received EDF notification

16 JUNE 2016......... Sent the following message via the website, to Scottish Power...

Enquiry:
Hello, I want to have Scottish Power as my energy supplier, on Tariff name: Online Fixed Price Energy June 2017
However , it seems I must use Direct Debit to pay for my energy... I would like to pay my bills ON DEMAND and ON RECEIPT - Monthly.
Please advise if this is possible, If not then I will have to go to a supplier who can offer this service, ( as my present supplier already does).
Thank you.

I got the standard "Auto Reply"... 

Thank you for contacting our customer services team. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.

We currently respond to 95% of customers within 48 hours however please allow up to 5 working days.

Did you know? If you pay by Direct Debit you can view your energy usage and adjust your payments to suit your needs using our Direct Debit Manager tool.

All you need to do is register/login to your account online. You can also manage your account online 24/7 at www.scottishpower.co.uk/account/login

Kind regards,
Customer Services
ScottishPower

About 1.5 hours later, I received the following "reply" to my query...... 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

I would like to confirm that the Tariff - Online Fixed Price Energy June 2017 is available and also you can make payment via Direct Debit.

You can contact our Sales Team on 0800 400 200 (Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 7:00pm and Saturday from 9.00am to 1:00pm)

If you require further assistance please visit our website at www.scottishpower.co.uk alternatively you can contact us by telephone it's free from BT landlines on 0800 0270 072. We're open from 8:00am to 10:00pm Monday to Friday and 8:30am to 6:00pm Saturday. If you are calling from abroad telephone 00(+)44 141 614 0000

Kind regards

H xxxxxxx  Up xxxxxxxxxxx
Customer Services Representative
ScottishPower

___________________________________________________________________________________________

(Name of sender disguised by me)

As you can see, he, or she,... has not understood the plain english question in my original email, so I sent the following, to the named person.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello H xxxxx Up xxxxx....

You obviously did not understand my email.... I know that the Tarriff is available... and I know I  (could) make payment via direct debit....

Please re-read my email again, and see if you can understand what I said....... THEN... answer my query,....

Thank you...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and got the standard Auto Reply, as above...

In response to that email, I had a phone call from some lady, with a scottish accent, but I could not understand her, due to my hearing problems, and asked her to contact me by email, to which she said she would,.. ( this was about lunch time, so I was expecting a response sometime during the afternoon................ BUT.. none came... so I sent another email....

************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello, AGAIN,

I had a phone call today, from a lady in Scottish Power, but because I am hard of hearing, and use hearing aids, and an amplifier on the telephone hand piece.. it is difficult for me to understand what people are saying on the phone.... after a couple of attempts, I managed to ask her to send me an email, but so far, at 17:45 21 June 2016,  I still have no contact from her, nor have I any answer to my original email  ( see below ). regarding payment "on demand" "on receipt of the bill".. 

Please expedite a reply, VIA EMAIL ONLY...    I would use your "live chat" but it appears that it is not available.

Thank you.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

And I got the standard "Auto Reply"...

21 JUNE 2016.... 19:00    I receive the following email, from the same U xxxxxx Up xxxxx   person......

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

I can see that you are contacting us regarding your query. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by this matter and I will endeavour to clarify this for you today.

I would like to confirm that the Tariff - Online Fixed Price Energy June 2017 is available and also you can make payments via Direct Debit. 

If you require further assistance please visit our website at www.scottishpower.co.uk alternatively you can contact us by telephone it's free from BT landlines on 0800 0270 072.

We're open from 8:00am to 10:00pm Monday to Friday and 8:30am to 6:00pm Saturday. If you are calling from abroad telephone 00(+)44 141 614 0000

Kind regards

H xxxxx Up xxxxxxx
ScottishPower

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I am not being racist, but this person has a forren name, that looks like it could be Indian or Pakistani,  but it seems that this person is not very good with the english language, as he, or she, has failed twice to understand what the question is, and the kind of answer required, to that question....

And so... feeling a bit (?) frustrated with how long this is taking to get through to customer service, I sent this email.... to the named person...

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Once again.... you have not read and understood plain english.....

Just so you cannot fail to understand..... 

I  would like to pay my bills ON DEMAND and ON RECEIPT - Monthly.

Please advise if this is possible,

If not then I will have to go to a supplier who can offer this service, ( as my present supplier already does).

Thank you.

I hope that is plain enough for you . 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Yup !   got the Auto Reply message again....

22 June 2016       13:00    

I get the following message....  from a different person, who also has an Indian or Pakistani name........  which is unbelievable in its content......

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Thank you for your recent e-mal regarding your energy account

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the service you have received to date.

As per national data base we are not the supplier on your property.

Please contact EDF who is the supplier on your property. They will assist you further.

If you require further assistance please visit our website at www.scottishpower.co.uk alternatively you can contact us by telephone it's free from BT landlines on 0800 0270 072 or 0345 2700700 from your mobile. Charges from mobile networks may vary for 0345 numbers please check with your network provider. We're open from 8:00am to 10:00pm Monday to Friday and 8:30am to 6:00pm Saturday. If you are calling from abroad telephone 00(+) 44 141 614 0000

Kind regards

At xxxxxxx  Ku xxxxxxxx  Sh xxxxxxxx

Scottish Power                                   
www.scottishpower.co.uk

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Obviously, from the content, the person has failed to understand plain english... and has the stupidity to inform me who my current supplier is,  ( as if I did not already know ).... and even more stupidly, suggests I contact them for the answer to my questions about how to pay Scottish Power bills "on demand" ....

So, at 15:25 on 22 JUNE 2016.... I sent this...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh For God`s sake...

What is wrong with you people.....  I am making an enquiry about a future supply by Scottish Power... 

Surely you can read English,.and possibly elven understand it...  

NOTE .... What does it say in the first sentence. ? ? ? ?

Hello, I want to have Scottish Power as my energy supplier, on Tariff name: Online Fixed Price Energy June 2017

There is a clue there....   Yet you reply with...

****************************************************************************************************************

As per national data base we are not the supplier on your property.

Please contact EDF who is the supplier on your property.

They will assist you further.

***************************************************************************************************************

So.... according to your reply.... I should contact EDF to see if Scottish Power will allow me to pay my bill "on receipt" and "on demand"... ? ? ?

you cannot be serious ....   

********************************************************************************************************************

Surprise !  Surprise...  Even without the benefit of the "national data base" on my computer... I KNOW that Scottish Power is not my supplier ... Doh!.

And.....

You even apologise for the service I have NOT been getting,  ... Crikey me.... If this is the level of  Customer service I can expect, then I am seriously thinking of going to another supplier...

All I want to know, is in the original query I sent.... In case you missed it...   here it is again...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

> Enquiry:

However , it seems I must use Direct Debit to pay for my energy...

I would like to pay my bills ON DEMAND and ON RECEIPT - Monthly.

Please advise if this is possible,

If not then I will have to go to a supplier who can offer this service, (as my present supplier  already does).

Thank you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is now 23 JUNE 2016.... and I still have not had the question answered.... so I thought I would go to Google, and see what other people thought of Scottish Power Customer Service ......

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.scottishpower.com

Having read the first 6 or 7 reviews, I am DEFINITELY NOT GOING WITH SCOTTISH POWER... .... if you were considering them as a supplier... you only have to read this, and other reviews, to decide

You Have Been Warned.....

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Scottish Power Customer Service - Totally Incompetent.

I used to be with them years ago but I found them pretty shambolic in keeping me up to date with any changes. They even tried to surcharge me for moving to another supplier saying this charge was clearly stated in my "contract".

In the end they were forced to back down (OFT) as my only "contract" was the acceptance email which showed nothing of the sort.

maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@shutter

Why not stick with EDF. You can change your product anytime even if you are still on a fixed price contract, without any exit fees. They frequently update their fixed price contracts, and on occasion the change can result in a reduction! 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I had dealings with scottish power years ago.

Enough said!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

looking at your replies it's no wonder you haven't had any further replies.
they've probably decided (quite wisely) that they don't want your custom due to the tone of your replies (and the clearly racists undertones).
Community Veteran

Clearly NOT racist undertones....  Clearly .... the message I sent was in Clear English Language... yet the respondents FAILED to understand it.. ..

I pointed that out to them... that they had not understood plain english... which, if you had responded in the same way as they had. I would say to you... 

I mentioned the "forren names" as a pointer to members of this forum, as I did not want to publish the respondents names.  

So,... according to your thinking... If I said, i did not want to deal with BT because they had Indian call centres, I would be a racist  ? ? ?  

Get real...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The best deals will always be paid by DD monthly.
The tariff you quoted MAYBE this ONLY. I don't know I am not with them and haven't checked the small print, usually in the tariff details.

I switched to NPower using the Tariff team switch but again it is DD and monthly payments. Any particular reason you don't want to pay by DD?
If they have to bill you and wait for payments every month then the cost will be higher due to the admin overhead, compared to a fixed DD every month reviewed every nn months.

Personally I go for long term fixes, same DD every month and I know I don't suddenly have to find £100's to pay the bill, this makes budgeting easier for me.
Community Veteran

maranello wrote:

@shutter

Why not stick with EDF.

As it happens, I was going to go with Bristol Energy.... but reviews on them are sketchy, because they are a new energy company, run by Bristol Corporation.....have no customer reviews on Google,... so decided to do another comparison, and have gone for the EDF 2 year fixed until July 2018...

Certainly, they do send me emails every month for the meter readings, and they do accept me paying "on demand" and "on line"   so it is pretty good..... ( even get a meter reader every 3 months ! ! )...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yes that would a very good definition of being racist.
And it's foreign, not forren.
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker

I don`t like the idea of a big company, taking money from my account, especially if THEY decide I should give them (say) £60 a month of MY money, when the bill is only £40... and they get the interest on the difference, cos it`s in their account... OK.. so you say it balances out over the year... BUT.. it may not, and you end up still having to pay extra or they increase the DD to increase the difference in your bill...

By paying monthly "on the bill"  "on demand"... I know where my money is going... I have been doing this for many years, so I am in control of my bank balance...

To me,.. DD is just an excuse for big companies, to make millions for doing nothing, except steal (borrow  ? ?  ) money from their customers... you may say , well its only £10 or £20 a month... but multiply that by the thousands of customers, and it becomes a nice little earner for them.... (even if it were only a £5 a month .....)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I find it the opposite, I find I can SAVE £nn by paying the same every month, this lets me keep my meagre income under control.
I pay virtually everything my DD including my road tax now.
They have to inform you in advance of any changes to the amount and if they take a wrong amount then they have to refund the money,
Community Veteran

@chenks76    You start of saying.... "looking at your replies........ " then accuse me of being a racist... I have just reviewed my post.... and find nothing in those replies that indicate any racist nature.

The question I put to you, is....Look at the replies from Scottish Power ....   If you had got the replies from them that I have posted... what would your reaction be..........., bearing in mind, that you are not racist... and you can understand english perfectly well, and sent in a perfectly simple question that needed a simple answer.

Presumably, you would have said. OK.. I`ll accept your reply, and I will sign up right now, even though you haven`t answered my question at all...

Yeah.... Right... 

Community Veteran

@shutter

Hard to know what company to deal with these days, if the person who is dealing with you cannot see the answer on the screen in front of them or fails to understand what you are asking they are likely to say we will get back to you in x time and either not do so or reply in a way that clearly shows they did not understand what you asked.

Clearly I have been lucky with Energy suppliers, was with scottish power for years and had no trouble with them, unlike thousands of other customers, changed to Extra Energy who are a lot cheaper, they are rated as poor for customer service but so far have had no problems, when my current annual dual fuel deal was coming to an end they informed me in advance of the options available which included a further fixed deal for 12 months but if I failed to respond I would automatically go on the standard rate.

If your current supplier can offer you a good fixed deal I would go for that

Community Veteran

Must admit I go with Hairy McBiker on that one, paying in advance gives me more control over my budget but I do take the point Shutter is making.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

So,... according to your thinking... If I said, i did not want to deal with BT because they had Indian call centres, I would be a racist  ? ? ?  

chenks76 wrote:
Yes that would a very good definition of being racist.
And it's foreign, not forren.

Whoa chenky old pal, thats not racist. Plenty of companies are avoided because of indian call centres because people feel they cannot communicate properly with people overseas who do not understand the urgency of some situations.

Avoiding a company because of its call centre is not racist. Insulting the indian person on the other end of the phone by calling them offensive names COULD BE if those offensive names were to do with race. If it was calling them a silly billy because they stuffed up someones bill then that isn't racist - you could say the same to an english call centre operative.

As for picking up on shutters spelling, he's being light hearted. Just like some people call ladies wimin. Attempting to pick on another board user because of his spelling played a large part in another member being permanently banned a year or two back (it happened repeatedly). He was relatively new like you and seemed to get pleasure out of giving people hassle. Don't go down that same road. You and I got off on the wrong foot (your declaring you hate everybody equally didn't do you any favours) but believe it or not, you are a valued member here on this forum.

As for shutter... he can be a bit grumpy sometimes (and I know him well enough to know he'll be a bit miffed for me saying that but at the same time he'll also not deny it) but he's not one to go around picking on people because of their race. If he was, he wouldn't have been looking at using Scottish Power in the first place.

I can't make you apologise to him but I would like to recommend it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!