cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Parliament update

idlewis
Grafter

Scottish Parliament update

I will Keep updated with the news on what the SNP Government is doing in the Scottish Parliament.
The first news since the SNP won majority at the recent election is that they are introducing a new bill which will mean five year jail term for sectarian disruption at football matches or online.
12 REPLIES
Epyon
Grafter

Re: Scottish Parliament update

That will hopefully put people off.
idlewis
Grafter

There is an addition to banning sectarian songs at football grounds and online and that is there will also be bans for before and after football matches with offenders receiving five years in prison in Scotland if they offend.
Community Veteran

It'll be interesting to see them arrest 60 000 Rangers and Celtic fans in one game  Crazy When the whole stadium is singing who do you single out?
idlewis
Grafter

I think there will be no single anyone one out.  If there are 50, 100, 500 or whatever amount who are singing sectarian songs there will all be in the courts and possibly be in prison.  I will let the forum know for more details about how it be policed etc.
Community Veteran

So a couple of hundred policemen are going to arrest a few thousand fans.  That's something that should be worth seeing, and no doubt we will, it'll make good TV.  As with all laws that try to legislate for morality, it's doomed to failure.  CCTV will be the only evidence available (and a good lip reader presumably, and since lip reading is all about context, there should be a good opportunity for reasonable doubt).  Then you'll have to find an unbiased jury, that agrees with the law (or they'll just let everyone off anyway).
It's a nonsense law, that is unenforceable (and law that's unenforceable brings all law into disrepute)  The only way to get rid of sectarianism is to change attitudes, and make it unacceptable.
idlewis
Grafter

I know the sectarian bill is not a good one but the SNP will review it and as time moves on and learn from it but they had to introduce strong measures in time for the new football season after what happend when a manager got a parcel bomb through the post, two rivial managers squared up to each other and hundreds of foootball fans were arrested for sectarianism at one old firm football match. 
There was talk about a sunset clause where to come back in Parliament after a year to see if it has worked or not but I will keep people updated.
idlewis
Grafter

Good news for Hulls.
The sectarinsm bill is being delayed to undertake full Scottish Parliament scrutiny.  MSP's found that there were flaws in it and it was too rushed so delaying will mean that the bill will be done properly and thought through.  will keep people updated.
Community Veteran

Please don't mis-understand me, I'm against sectarianism.  I grew up in Belfast and saw at first hand how destructive it can be. I would also agree with laws that could be enforced along the lines of current discrimination legislation (although how often have we seen that misused and abused!) but the idea of arresting an entire football crowd is just daft and a recipe for rioting and mayhem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Will they ban people whistling sectarian tunes?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
idlewis
Grafter

English students will need to pay a maximum of  £9000 per year to attend a Scottish University, but Scottish students pay no fees.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and neither do any other non UK EU citizens
idlewis
Grafter

But the Scottish Government will try and work their way round EU law so that EU students pay some fees.