cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish MPs should not vote on English tuition fees - discuss

Community Veteran

Scottish MPs should not vote on English tuition fees - discuss

Hi
Am I the only one who thinks that Scottish MPs voting in the present debate is at best two-faced, and at worst simply rubbing salt into the wound?  Roll eyes
John
36 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Scottish MPs should not vote on English tuition fees - discuss

Same with the welsh as the WA has said students wouldn't have to pay higher fee's.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

This vote should be for English MPs only. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Completely agree.
The problem is trying to seperate the 3 countries has historically led to war time after time.
Nah.. its all in my head. They're doing it in my best interests. I'm 100% sure parliament will send me a christmas card this year.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Agreed, always thought that only English MPs should vote on matters than concern England only.... but I would extend it further to have an England only Parliament. Why should other countries MPs have valued debating opportunity on matters that do not affect their country?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well every other country seems to be running England so I don't see why the Welsh or Scots shouldn't have a say as well.
nadger
Rising Star

What about the Northern Irish vote?
Whilst, to me, it seems fair that only English constituency MPs should vote I can see it opening up a real can of worms if it was made the rule.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

21 majority to increase fees
Community Veteran

Nick, Nick, shame on you, shame on you for turning blue Wink
nadger
Rising Star

All politicians make promises that, because they don't expect to be in power, they won't need to keep. They just hope that those promises will win them votes.
The Lib Dems are now finding out the reality of sharing in government especially with the mess left by Brown.
Community Veteran

Yup, they're also now finding out that along with the tories they'll stand no chance in the next election. So.. who does get the vote?
CLARKSON!
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
The Lib Dems are now finding out the reality of sharing in government especially with the mess left by Brown.

They'll be wiped out at the next election. Cameron won't have to worry about them any more and should be able to get on with sorting out Clown Brown's mess.
Community Veteran

1.  It's a disgrace the Scottish MPs vote on English issues, scandalous!
2.  If students want to go to university they should have to pay appropriate fees and pay it back with the money they get from the higher salaries they get with the benefit of all the extra education that has been provided. If they don't want to pay for they should quit whining and get a job.
Community Veteran

Yes but have to pay so much? - That kind of debt is CRIPPLING.
Britain was once a Great country... Now its not. We have nothing left, no industry, no armed forces, no engineering or sciences... just banks, politicians and legal people.
All they care about now is turning the rest of us into slaves.
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
They'll be wiped out at the next election. Cameron won't have to worry about them any more and should be able to get on with sorting out Clown Brown's mess.

It's a long term plan (tin foil hat time).  Labour knew the odds of Brown winning an election were poor, they knew that the Conservatives would have a majority or an outright majority which would make it unfeasable for Lib Dem to join with Labour and be able to claim a democratic victory.  With that in mind they had a goal, cause as much trouble for the government that follows as possible, spend above their means, max out the credit cards, basically poison the well as it were.  What we're seeing *now* is the reaction to the changes required because of Labours policies, students demonstrating because of an absence of money, whose fault is that?  Labour.  Who are the students going to blame?  Lib Dem / Conservative.  This government is in a position where it has to make really hard choices which affect everyone badly.  In 5 years time, Labour will bring the "wasn't it better under Labour?" mantra out, people will still be suffering and will wish to go back to the bad old days meaning Labour get a landslide victory, Lib Dems lose the student vote and are, as you say, wiped out, Conservatives are soundly thrashed by Labour giving Labour a mandate to do whatever they want to because they will have a huge majority and the difficult choices would already be taken.
You may remove your tin-foil hat Tongue