cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Independence.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Scottish Independence.

We have discussed this topic before on these forums but what would happen in the unlikely event that Scotland was successful ? Surely it would not be long before the Welsh and the Irish were asking for independence ? Even followed by a North or South of England ?
129 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Scottish Independence.

The english don't learn from their mistakes and history always seems to repeat itself for it.
Every other time we've tried to go our seperate ways, it has resulted in WAR when one decides it wants to rule the other.
Granted we're a bit more advanced now with technology and diplomacy (alledgedly) but I still think Alex Salmond is more dangerous to us than the Taliban.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
Surely it would not be long before the Welsh were asking for independence ?
Leanne Wood reckons Wales will be Independent In a generation.
Community Veteran

When Scottish voters vote against independence will Salmond and the rest of his cohorts do the honourable thing and resign?
If they try to hang on won't their position be impossible?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

He only wants independence, so he can sell the new aircraft carriers back to England, for the Royal Navy....
Hemm... does that mean there will be a Scottish Navy, Army and Airforce, (and marines) to protect them from the evil English neighbours? and the rest of the world...
Roberto0151
Grafter

The thing that interests me about this is that for about 300 years money and resources were, by and large, moving from south to north, yet as soon as oil is discovered in Scottish waters Salmond starts jumping up and down screaming "its all ours" Roll eyes
Community Veteran

as soon as oil is discovered in Scottish waters Salmond starts jumping up and down screaming "its all ours"

but they are UK.waters .. i.e. UNITED KINGDOM waters.... not Scottish waters....
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: shutter

but they are UK.waters .. i.e. UNITED KINGDOM waters.... not Scottish waters....

I believe that under the terms of internationally agreed treaties, should Scotland vote for separation the vast majority of the oil would lie in waters deemed to be Scottish
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
We have discussed this topic before on these forums but what would happen in the unlikely event that Scotland was successful ? Surely it would not be long before the Welsh and the Irish were asking for independence ? Even followed by a North or South of England ?

Whether it would be a success for Scotland is debatable, which is why the polls are as they are, but it would certainly be a success for wee Eck and the SNP
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
When Scottish voters vote against independence will Salmond and the rest of his cohorts do the honourable thing and resign?

Salmond should have agreed to the whole of the UK voting on this. That way he would be more certain of winning.
I'm all for Scotland going their own way. I hate bagpipes  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm all for Scotland going their own way. I hate bagpipes

This could be taken as a racist view/remark...... When I lived in Leicester, I applied to the council for housing, and they asked my preferred area, I replied, anywhere, except that I can`t stand the smell of curry.... the interviewer said that I had better beware, as they could dismiss my application on the grounds that I was a racist......  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Racist because you can't stand the smell of curry? You just need to look at someone the wrong way now and your done for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I'm all for Scotland going their own way. I hate bagpipes

This could be taken as a racist view/remark...... When I lived in Leicester, I applied to the council for housing, and they asked my preferred area, I replied, anywhere, except that I can`t stand the smell of curry.... the interviewer said that I had better beware, as they could dismiss my application on the grounds that I was a racist......  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sounds about right. They'd hate me then.. (or maybe love me?) I don't like many foods at all so they'd either throw the book at me. To think.. most of the stuff I don't like is british food  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Racist only by an extreme stretch of the imagination as curry and bagpipes aren't exactly single country specific.
So racist against who? Curry eaters, bagpipes players, they're not a recognised race.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
If they try to hang on won't their position be impossible?

Why should they fold up their tents and go? Separation is a legitimate political objective, and whilst I don't vote for them the SNP have always conducted themselves in an honourable and democratic manner.
But, talking of impossible positions, ponder on this.
We'd all agree that it would be an impossible position for the Scots, Welsh, or Irish Nationalist parties to try to govern at Westminster, separately or as a Coalition as they have no mandate outwith their respective countries.  However right now the the Government at Westminster is a Con/Dem Coalition which has:-
One Tory and five LibDems holding Scottish seats.
Eight Tories and three LibDems holding Welsh seats
No Tories or LibDems holding seats in Northern Ireland
In these circumstances can either party claim to have a mandate from Scots, Welsh, or Irish electorates?
As an aside, Scots, Welsh and Irish Nationalists hold between them fourteen seats at Westminster although none of these parties contested all the seats open to them at the last election. 
Having a devolved government, Scotland's schools and NHS for example are protected from the ConDem hatchetmen but we're open to their other excesses such as ATOS work assessments, and it's difficult to overstate the resentment these policies have created here.  Like most of the Scots electorate I'll be voting to stay in the Union in the upcoming referendum, but unless there's a meaningful delegation of further powers from Westminster to the Scottish Parliament thereafter, and possibly a review of how the UK is governed,  I can see us being back here in about ten years time, and if that were to be the case I believe Scotland would then vote to leave the Union.