cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Independence

idlewis
Grafter

Scottish Independence

Everything is geared up for the indepence referendum as Uk and scottish governments argue over many issues which are happening in politics today.
How would you vote if there was a referendum tommorrow.
84 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Scottish Independence

This country (and Scotland) have a habbit of not learning from the past.
We've invaded them, they've invaded us and on numerous ocassions we've agreed to go it alone, then one tries to invade the other again...
Quite honestly I don't think its worth it. Sure, we might be more cvivilised now but deep down, instinctively we've still got the fighting, blood thirsty instincts which drive countries to war. I don't think we're ready for such big changes so quickly. If we can't have and manage a scottish and english timezone, then how the hell will two countries work with their own governments?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I voted for Status Quo as I've always liked their music Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I like Status Quo's music as well.  Much better than the Bay City Rollers Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: idlewis
How would you vote if there was a referendum tommorrow.

Who would be eligible to vote though?
Surely the whole of the UK should at least "have its say" though I don't think that's on Alex Salmond's agenda (or in his budget).  Crazy
idlewis
Grafter

It will be people who live and work in Scotland no matter what nationalty who he/she is to be allowed to vote in referendum.
Community Veteran

I suspect that a majority of Scots will vote for the Satus Quo and most of the rest of the UK would go for full independence given the option of having a say.  Grin
idlewis
Grafter

No! a Majortity of Scots in a poll wants Devo Max and another poll said there are more english people want independence than before.
Community Veteran

@HPsauce, I think you could be right.  I think Salmond has misjudged this issue. The Scots know they are on to a good thing at present and won't want to spoil it Wink
tinto
Grafter

@ HP sauce
Salmond is First Minister of Scotland and is well aware that as such he has no mandate to extend his proposed referendum to England. Likewise the PM and the Secretary of State for Scotland, Tory and LibDem respectively know their opinions are irrelevant in Scotland and despite their bluster they won't hold a referendum before him, because they fear a majority might go with Salmond just to make the point.
@artmo
Salmond hasn't misjudged the issue, now that he has a majority in the Scottish Parliament he has no option but hold a referendum.  Scottish independence is the sole reason his party exists and they'd boot him out if he were to renege.  By the same token if he thought he had even a 50/50 chance to win we'd have had a referendum by now.  His best hope is that the ConDems scunner enough of the electorate here to make independence the least of the two evils, and I wouldn't rule that out.
Community Veteran

Quote from: idlewis
another poll said there are more english people want independence than before.

Just to clarify I was saying that if non-Scottish parts of the UK were asked if Scotland should be independent they would say YES - "so long and thanks for all the fish"  as the saying goes (or good riddance many might say, though not me  Cool ) Grin
As for England, Cornwall, Yorkshire, Anglesey, whatever being independent that's not really a serious question at present and I wasn't in any way referring to it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
(or good riddance many might say, though not me  Cool ) Grin

I would Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It might be in the interests of the Conservative Party for Scotland to have independence as this would reduce the number of labour MPs and thus give the Conservatives a majority for many years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I’d vote for full independence.
Then for Scotland to align itself with Scandinavia.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bye-bye-england-snp-plans-closer-scandinavian-ties-aft...
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: HPsauce
(or good riddance many might say, though not me  Cool ) Grin

I would Wink Wink
Not like the Scots eh? Isn't that against forum rules? You must like everyone no matter where we are from, As a scot I find your post&HPsauce post rather offending, Please remove It. As for Independence, This could go on for a decade even after we get It. Lets Talk about It If and when It happens, Personally I reckon Scotland would be better of but only time will tell.
I also find the poll pointless so I wont vote