cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Independence

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Scottish Independence

Sorry, but there's an awful lot of claptrap on this thread.
Quote from: 7up
Time and time again england and scotland have tried to go it alone

"Time and time again". How long since the last time? (Hint: there hasn't been a last time).

When Alex Salmond first came up with this pathetic idea Cameron agreed they could have the vote on condition that it was ONLY a vote and nothing came of it.

Where did you get that from? Once Salmond & Cameron had signed the Edinburgh Agreement, it was always going to be a binding vote. What would be the point of having a referendum if London could ignore it?
Quote from: RichAllen
There might be a few people that want it, but total independence = won't happen, the Scottish government can't afford it.

Scottish taxpayers have been subsidising the rest of the UK for years. As to "can't afford it", that's a matter for the people of Scotland to determine, both before and after the referendum.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
I wonder how they'll feel when they realise their kids are not automatically British Citizens in their passports, new visa arrangements to be agreed to other countries.

Why would they want to be British Citizens (sic) if they're citizens of their own country? As to passports and visas, Scotland will continue to be a member of the EU, and the Common Travel Area will also continue. Do you think Brussels and London would be so unrealistic as to make things more difficult out of spite? They're realists, when all is said and done.
Quote from: artmo
Salmond thinks he will be welcomed into the EU as well. Spain has already said they will oppose the move as it will cause trouble with their autonomous areas.
And what currency will they use? He will have no right to use the Pound.

Spanish PM Rajoy made it clear that his remarks were not intended to refer to Scotland. As to currency, they have every 'right' to use the Pound. It's an internationally tradable currency, and Burkina Fasso, Tajikistan and Vanuatu could all use it if they chose; it's not for the BoE or anyone else in London to say they can't.
I like Scotland and visiting it the people are generally very warm compared to some regions of england. I fail to see why I should need a passport to go there as was recently reported in the DM.

Well if you depend on the Dully Mule for your information, it's no surprise you think that. What the hell makes you think that you're going to need a passport to go to Hawick or Loch Lomond? The scaremongering from the 'No' campaign takes its readers as being idiots. They may be correct in that assumption at times.
If you want to see the side of the argument you won't get from the Mule, or any of the London media (or most of the 'Scottish' ones for that matter), I recommend http://wingsoverscotland.com/, where they regularly demolish the fearmongering and lies of the so-called 'Better Together' campaign.
(For the record, I'm neither Scottish nor resident there, but hope that they'll go for it if only to give the rest of us a chance to shake things up)
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Minor correction
If they wish to join the Common Market then it is pre-condition that they have to join the Euro so they can't use the pound
Highlighted
Grafter

No.
They would have to commit to joining the Euro at some stage in the future. That's all.
In any case, as I said before, Scotland will continue to be a member of the EU, so nothing will change in practical terms.
As I also said before, the people in Brussels, Strasbourg and London are realists. They would quickly come to terms with an independent Scotland because it would be in their best interests to do so.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

There has been several very clear statements from the EU that they would not remain a member but would need to reapply
Highlighted
Grafter

Sorry, but wrong.
There has been no 'very clear' statement from any EU official of the sort.
The EU have made it plain that they won't make any statement on the matter (one way or the other) unless London (as the current member government) ask them to. London has (for reasons we may guess at) refused to ask for such a statement.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independent-scotland-would-have-to-reapply-to-eu-1...
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/27/scottish-independence-spain-alex-salmond-eu
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25856657
Actually it is all irrelevant as it is almost certain that the Scots will not vote for independence
The fact that there hasn't been a clear and definitive statement that Scotland will need to reapply in no way allows you to claim that they will remain a member
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Highlighted
Community Veteran

You beat me to it Jim, but great minds........ Wink Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: thejudge
Sorry, but there's an awful lot of claptrap on this thread.

Having read your reply to me a lot of it is coming from yourself!
Time and time again england and scotland have tried to go it alone

"Time and time again". How long since the last time? (Hint: there hasn't been a last time).

Not in our lifetimes but it has happened. Not my fault you can't handle history.

When Alex Salmond first came up with this pathetic idea Cameron agreed they could have the vote on condition that it was ONLY a vote and nothing came of it.

Where did you get that from? Once Salmond & Cameron had signed the Edinburgh Agreement, it was always going to be a binding vote. What would be the point of having a referendum if London could ignore it?

It was all over the news last year  Roll_eyes
Quote from: RichAllen
There might be a few people that want it, but total independence = won't happen, the Scottish government can't afford it.

Scottish taxpayers have been subsidising the rest of the UK for years.

You're joking right? - Us mugs south of the wall have been financing your freebies for years. Good luck with that if you lot up north go indy.
I like Scotland and visiting it the people are generally very warm compared to some regions of england. I fail to see why I should need a passport to go there as was recently reported in the DM.

Well if you depend on the Dully Mule for your information, it's no surprise you think that. What the hell makes you think that you're going to need a passport to go to Hawick or Loch Lomond?

Clearly you don't follow the news do you. Continue on in your dreamworld judge, you've already judged what YOU think is reality so you stick it Wink
(For the record, I'm neither Scottish nor resident there

I find that hard to believe.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@thejudge
Please don't waste any more of your time with this lot regarding this subject, every time this debate Is brought up the English on here get more twitchy than the Scots and some even get personal about It. Let them believe what they want as they seem unwilling to budge from their Naivety on this subject.
Regards
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Oi!
Thats me you're talking about matey!  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

An old Glaswegian mate of mine used to say "Be careful what you wish for, as some might grant your wish."  That's how I see this Scottish Independence thing, wished for by some, but consequences viewed through rose tinted glasses.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

it will all end in tears if they vote no, if they vote yes they will end in bloodshed after a decade or less as the newly not so independent nation fails to feed itself and suffers from hyper inflation followed with cross boarder raids and finishing with all out war.....the fact that an independent Scotland will have a standing armed force will bankrupt them as they don't have enough income to pay for it without slashing welfare system and starting to charge for all that is currently free (prescriptions/GP & dental appointments/education placements to name a few) they will also find it rather more difficult to fund going forward things like the transport system (road repairs and emergency works are all paid for from the Westminster DoT budget not TfS) personally I don't care if Scotland moves for independence but if they go that road then I do hope they vote in some political leaders who have an understanding of how to run a country clearly the SNP clowns haven't been able (despite having several years of planning to figure it out) to devise proper strategies of governance nor have then been able to produce anything other than half baked ideas on how they would be able to fund anything and continue replacing what is currently a failing infrastructure
as inclusions under various treaties, a simple UK revision treaty would allow them to remain under our various agreements (like NFTA/EFTA) without requiring the fledgling state to jump through such hoops on its own, I do however think that the coalition have missed a trick, they could of refused to help Scotland through this winter so the population could see exactly what to expect in the future if they vote for independence, of course being able to come to the rescue once a 7 day period as needed, it would of provided a far more realistic vision of the future for the Scottish people, as would turning off the funding tap that's been getting used to plug there underfunding, instead they have been granting bigger budgets to the SP year on year which seems rather detrimental to the whole idea of allowing people to make an informed choice .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you