cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Independence

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Scottish Independence

I thought that this was  absolutely hilarious http://news.sky.com/story/1201211/scottish-independence-46-percent-dont-mind
Some 46% of those outside of Scotland asked to imagine waking up and finding the country independent from the rest of the UK said they "wouldn't mind", while 34% said they would be dismayed and 11% said they would be delighted.
When adults in Scotland were asked the same question, there was more evidence of the task facing Alex Salmond, the leader of the Sottish National Party, and the Yes campaign - with 46% saying they would be dismayed and just a quarter saying they would be delighted.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Scottish Independence

I personally think Alex Salmond is a trouble maker.
Time and time again england and scotland have tried to go it alone and it always ends up in war between us both with lives lost.
Those at the top must surely be aware of this too and they must surely know that this is inviting history to repeat itself.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I personally am against it. But with the amount of publicity they will give it over the next year + they might just manage it.
Quote from: 7up
Time and time again england and scotland have tried to go it alone and it always ends up in war between us both with lives lost.

Hmm since we have been an entity since the 18th Century I doubt most even think about it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When we last discussed this topic I said the biggest mistake that Alex Salmond made was to allow the residents of Scotland to vote on this issue. What he should have done was to allow everyone in England to vote on the issue and he might then have had more chance of success.  Smiley
Joking apart I agree with 7up and just think Alex Salmond is an attention seeker.
Community Veteran

Theres another thing to this I don't understand too.
When Alex Salmond first came up with this pathetic idea Cameron agreed they could have the vote on condition that it was ONLY a vote and nothing came of it.
Now it's turned into a full blown voting campaign with a definitive result that depends on it. What happened to the vote only for the opinion but nothing happening?
Community Veteran

An interesting poll and an interesting interview with Salmond.
I think the vote in September this year will be 'No'. It will be interesting to see what Salmond does then.
Community Veteran

It certainly will!
I hope it is a No vote too. I like Scotland and visiting it the people are generally very warm compared to some regions of england. I fail to see why I should need a passport to go there as was recently reported in the DM.
Seriously I think Salmond is a power and food hungry arrogant MP who simply doesn't know how to make a real difference to peoples lives. He's clearly only doing this because he wants some control over something of his own and I think that makes him incredibly sad.
RichAllen
Grafter

There might be a few people that want it, but total independence = won't happen, the Scottish government can't afford it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wonder how they'll feel when they realise their kids are not automatically British Citizens in their passports, new visa arrangements to be agreed to other countries.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Salmond thinks he will be welcomed into the EU as well. Spain has already said they will oppose the move as it will cause trouble with their autonomous areas.
And what currency will they use? He will have no right to use the Pound.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What about the NHS... will the scots have their own?
Community Veteran

The NHS is already devolved in many ways. We have NHS England, NHS Scotland and NHS Wales.
Community Veteran

And they can use whatever currency they want, but won't have any control over it.  Wink
Sterling notes issued by Scottish banks will be effectively valueless without some agreement with the rest of the UK.
I've noticed places that used to happily take them starting to refuse, as they used to years ago.
RichAllen
Grafter

Scottish notes are not legal tender in some parts South of the border.
Community Veteran

I think you'll find Bank of England notes aren't either in the commonly-accepted sense if you actually look at what "legal tender" really is.  Wink
http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines