cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scottish Football Referee Strike

Fixes: 47

Scottish Football Referee Strike

I hear that referees are planning to strike having become upset at criticism directed at them Undecided
Pardon my blissful ignorance of all things football related but doesn't criticism go with the job Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
4 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Scottish Football Referee Strike

I’m presuming you mean football ref’s strat? I think some of their reasoning is the total lack of respect shown to them by the players. I’m no football fan but I’ve seen items on the news that have a ref being pushed, shoved and shouted at by the players because they disagree with the decision; presumably only because it was against their team!. Contrast that with Rugby or Cricket. I was at Twickenham recently to watch the All Blacks game and bought a ‘Ref’s mike’, a radio that allows you to hear the ref talking to the players. The only conversations I heard, and you can hear players close to the ref through it, were when the captain of the penalised team asked for a detailed explanation of the decision in order to avoid getting penalised again; and very often ended the conversation by calling him ‘sir’   
Community Veteran

We're a rugby family, and whether you agree with the ref or not, he is always referred to as "sir", he always explains the reason for his decision, and although players may moan afterwards, they will always accept his decision.
Issues are always reviewed afterwards, and it's accepted that over the season the bad decisions even out.
One of the best examples I remember involved Delaglio, he was pinged for being off his feet in the ruck, and said he wasn't off his feet.  The ref said something like, "In the split second I have to make my decision, it looked like you were off your feet, that's my decision.  If I'm wrong I apologise."
Delaglio responded, "I was on my feet, you were wrong, I accept your apology!", and promptly moved back to allow the opposition to take their penalty. I've no doubt that the referee later gave Wasps the benefit of the doubt to even it up, but that's how the game works.
You will never see players crowding the referee - he talks to the captains, and specific players if need be, and if anyone makes too much noise about a decision, he simply moves the penalty, scrum, etc 10 yards further upfield! He also communicates with his line judges and asks their opinions if he needs to.
Football could learn a few things.
John
thisoldman
Grafter

bringing in foreign refs will prove to be the sfa's biggest mistake. History has repeatedly shown the results of these actions.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
Football could learn a few things.

A few!  Grin  Cry
(and certainly from Rugby)