cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scotlands hospital food nutrition may be legally enforced

Steve
Pro

Scotlands hospital food nutrition may be legally enforced

I reckon its about time something was done about it, after all your meant to be in there to heal and good food helps that process substantially. Go Scotland we can make history again Wink
Scotland could become the first country in the UK to legally oblige hospitals to serve nutritional meals to patients.
New guidelines on NHS catering have been unveiled by Health Secretary Alex Neil.
There will now be a consultation on whether the new measures should be legally binding.
Extra funding will be made available to help health boards improve food standards, and more inspections of hospital meals will be carried out.
Mr Neil said Scottish hospitals had made "great progress" in the quality of their food in recent years, but acknowledged there was still "more that can be done" to drive up standards.

link fixed
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Scotlands hospital food nutrition may be legally enforced

Incorrect link provided Sad
Fixes: 125

BBC.co.uk
I think it's a shame in the 21st century that legislation may be required in order that patients get a balanced, nutritional meal.
Maybe all meals should be made onsite and not by a profit-making company who are not particularly interested in anything else.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
Incorrect link provided Sad
Its fixed now artmo.
Community Veteran

In England James Martin did an excellent job in raising the quality of hospital food and did so without increasing the budget. He worked at one of our local hospitals and patients, staff and visitors all said food quality was excellent.
Steve
Pro

BBC is asking what peoples experience of the food is like on their facebook page link below.
https://www.facebook.com/bbcscotlandnews/posts/886884501335769
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's the car parking charges that wind me up. My local hospital used to be P&D.. not a problem for me.. I had my own ways of getting round that..
Then the barstewards got wise and decided to put in pay on foot parking barriers. £1 per hour. Not too bad except that every time i go for an appointment they're always running late.. and it's the patients who then pay for their incompetance. If they can't see that many patients during the allotted time then they shouldn't have so many short appointments. Yet in their appointment letters they're the first on the attack with threats of no future help if you miss the appointment.. yet they'll miss it themselves by 2 hours without giving a damn.
Anyhow the other day we were up there and I noticed that they DO care about the sick and their visitors... 7 day week pass... £12  Shocked Twelve flaming quid for the privilege of being ill thanks to their ongoing negligence?
Are they serious?
Luckily knowing a thing or two about the car parking industry I had a quick scout around the car park the other day and have already found two escape routes. Most outdoor barrier car parks have an unofficial escape route somewhere just incase something somewhere in the chain goes wrong and this was certainly no exception.
The next time they decide to diddle me I'll be diddling them.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

No P&D at my local hosp. But they have introduced new 4hour limits on 2 of the closer car parks. As to charging for people arriving on foot WTF where do they get their ideas from.
As to food. Last time I was in (an overnight for observation and forced sleep deprivation (esp if you are a light sleeper and a beeper keeps going off every 5 min) the breakfast included porridge. Lovely. Just had to ask for SALT instead of sugar. (Got a "real Scotsman then" from the server ;-))
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Unless I have misunderstood
Pay on foot is where you get out of the car to pay the parking charge before leaving the car park
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
As to charging for people arriving on foot WTF where do they get their ideas from.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
As OJ says, pay on foot means that you pay when you return to your car (on foot) instead of when you park. In other words it's a barrier system, you take a ticket when entering, go do your thang and then when you come back you shove your ticket in the machine which then tells you the tune you're being ripped off to. You then put your hard earned into the thing and fell bitter about it for the next ten minutes Wink
Or in OJs case we'll up it to 15 mins  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: 7up
Or in OJs case we'll up it to 15 mins  Cheesy
Most kind  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I wonder how you think hospital car parking should be paid for Undecided
Community Veteran

Ahh silly me, senior moment there I think ;-)
Used machines like that where you had nn hours free then an exorbitant fee if you went over by even a minute.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I wonder how you think hospital car parking should be paid for Undecided

I wonder how you think charging people for being ill is acceptable?  Undecided
Community Veteran

They are not charging the ill people per say. They are charging the visitors to them. So keep them locked up and alone and kicked out as soon as possible for maximum profit.