cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score on the door

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Score on the door

When you get a take-away or have a sit-in meal, or just go food shopping, do you check the score on the door, before you order?

If so, do you use the local Council or the National Food Agency (https://www.food.gov.uk/) or a third party such as (http://www.grubbee.co.uk/) or an app?

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Re: Score on the door

Yes.... !   mostly... and mostly they are 5 `s.... so we have no problem .... If a food outlet had less than four, I would not bother going in.   4 is acceptable.> ( been on the other end of the inspections, so know what is involved ! ! )..

John_Hull
Rising Star

the problem is that it is not compulsory to display he score, so premises that get less than 4 don't bother to display it. It's also worth noting that, with local authority cuts, it may be that the business hasn't been checked for some time.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

We've had coffee and cake, or a light lunch at one particular cafe in Bournemouth many times over some fourteen years, and its customers were varied from oldies, families, police attending the conference centre. It never achieved more than a 2, but as far as I know it was never in the news, and what adverse opinions given on online reviews came from the obviously younger well heeled burger and junk chewers.

It closed, not due to customer illness, but because of the massive BH2 leisure complex . The names are well known, but for value, I'm not so sure.

As for any government scheme, I think that it is a bureaucratic tick box exercise, which tends to find the minor faults of small concerns, as such are easy meat (even in a veggie establishment, maybeFunny)!

I use my instincts ( could've written 'nose') rather than scores on the doors.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Having spent some time,  "in the catering trade"  and also "in the hospitality trade"... the inspection carried out by the "food police" are very thorough, and "getting a good result" is something like passing your MOT with no faults found.  It is a gruelling 2 hours ( or more for large establishments ), and very worrying, even though you think you have been doing everything "properly"... there is always something they will find, that needs attending to... Inspections are carried out, without prior notice, and can be done on a "routine" basis, or as a result of customer complaint.... ( I have been through both scenarios )... either way... the inspection is there, as a safety measure to ensure that the public can eat and drink in the establishment in a safe food environment. 

Saying that these inspections mean nothing, other than a "box ticking exercise" is absolute rubbish.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

There have been times where the problem lies with the supplier rather than the individual outlet.

Only when customers become ill is attention drawn to the problem.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles

Fair point...  

However, If a case was proved to be the suppliers fault, that should not affect the inspection result....

From the point of view of the establishment...the notice that is displayed is a "badge of pride"...  ....  a way of showing customers that the establishment has successfully passed the inspection, and is very proud of that fact.

If an establishment chooses not to display, due to a low score...  (or possibly has not been inspected). then that should be a warning to customers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

I didn't realise displaying it was not compulsory.

Well a fast food restuarant that scores a 0 or a 1 is hardly going to want to display it by their front door are they? Roll eyes

I personally don't look at them, though I know of a friend who does.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Never been near Mc Donalds for at least 20 years or more......anyone know what their score on the door is ?

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@gleneagles most MD's are 5 star for hygiene but have a look http://ratings.food.gov.uk/  

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

Having spent some time,  "in the catering trade"  and also "in the hospitality trade"... the inspection carried out by the "food police" are very thorough, and "getting a good result" is something like passing your MOT with no faults found.  It is a gruelling 2 hours ( or more for large establishments ), and very worrying, even though you think you have been doing everything "properly"... there is always something they will find, that needs attending to... Inspections are carried out, without prior notice, and can be done on a "routine" basis, or as a result of customer complaint.... ( I have been through both scenarios )... either way... the inspection is there, as a safety measure to ensure that the public can eat and drink in the establishment in a safe food environment. 

Saying that these inspections mean nothing, other than a "box ticking exercise" is absolute rubbish.

@shutter I'll withdraw my box ticking commnet, but I do wonder if inspectors can have personal over zealous attitudes. I am not limiting that comment to food.

Some years back we were searching for a nursing home for wife's mother. Whilst all could be called factual, some picked up on a resident not having a personal key. OK, it was a breach, but the person was demented and forgetful. There's always the realist vs, the martinet. I hope I can exempt you from the latter.Grin

How is the final score arrived at; 4+3+1 =  8 average 2.66 therefore 3?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern From my experience. ... having worked in small cafe/tea room, and larger 150 + cover touristy tea room/restaurants, as owner/manager, in several different counties of England, and a couple in Wales,. I would say that every inspection we underwent was "fair" and no bias or agenda, other than public health/food safety was apparent.  Most people who work in the food/cafe/restaurant service sector, take courses and exams, relating to food handling, food safety, cross contamination, and various other sectors, and, as with the "score on the door", on passing these exams, they are rightly proud of their achieving the standard set, or higher...

In one of our locations, in Wales, we attended a course for a week,  and at the end did the exams, and awarded a "Gold Award with distinction" and were very proud to display it for our customers to see.. The course, and the exams are set by "The Food Standards Agency"..

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter Thanks for your personal view. Smiley I'm sure they are not that bad to have a meal in, but three of the most frequented pub-restaurants, and a independent bakery around my area got lowly ones, yet in sixteen years' residence I do not recall any poisoning news about any of them.

If there were it would soon be known. With tech vs instinct IMHO instinct is more important.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Near where I used to live, there was a Chinese takeaway and the local Council Health Inspector ordered the special  Singapore fried rice and was shocked to find it included an undeclared ingredient.... dead maggots Shocked  It closed the very next day and never re-opened. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Where my parents live, we are full of takeaways.

In our high street you name it, we have it.

Strange thing is about a year ago, a Burger King opened right opposite a Maccas and a few doors down from the KFC.

I'm thinking "Well Maccas is really going to be happy about that one!"

It was only opened for a few months, and then has been closed with a notice on the window saying it was "Due to operational reasons, we are closed, we'll let you know when we can re-open".

Hmm - sounds like a forced shutdown to me. Like when restaurants shut down suddenly and say "We are closed for refurbishment".

Errrm - yeah right.