cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scientists have unlocked the entire genetic code of two ofthe most common cancer

Community Veteran

Scientists have unlocked the entire genetic code of two ofthe most common cancer

"Scientists have unlocked the entire genetic code of two of the most common cancers - skin and lung - a move they say could revolutionise cancer care.
Not only will the cancer maps pave the way for blood tests to spot tumours far earlier, they will also yield new drug targets, say the Wellcome Trust team. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8414124.stm

Looks like another wonderful news story on cancer. I seem to recall a few others this year.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Scientists have unlocked the entire genetic code of two ofthe most common cancer

Great news but shame it hasn't come around soon enough to save someone I knew who died a couple of weeks back. If only the governments would put more effort into trying to solve these dreadful diseases the world could be such a better place
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Scientists have unlocked the entire genetic code of two ofthe most common cancer

If as much effort, and funding, was put into finding cancer cures as is put into fighting wars then the world would certainly be a better place.
People like Cancer Research UK have to rely on people making donations to fund research  Sad
That said the NHS does a great job of giving priority to treating people with cancer - here I do speak from personal experience. Once I was diagnosed things really started to happen and the level of care was excellent.
I was fortunate in that the radical surgery I eventually had appears to have been a complete success.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Have you seen the interview with one of the team?, will probably be on the 10 news.  He said that they have a long way to go, the Lung one had 23,000 mutant variation, one for every 15 cigarettes they smoke
edit corrected maths