cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Science says .....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Science says .....

According to our favourite ( OTT ) reporters .......

Sunday night could be the coldest night of the season so far with -8C possible in sheltered Scottish glens

In a further sign of the big freeze that could last until Christmas, snow showers are forecast on Saturday and Sunday, predominantly across the Scottish hills, according to the Met Office.

Here`s the fastest way to defrost your windscreen...  according to science.

However, it would seem that those instructions require you ot have the engine running, and it already warmed up... while the process is in operation....

Two points about that.....1.   Leaving a vehicle unattended whilst the engine is running, is illegal.

2. lt would probably also nullify your car insurance if it were nicked ! ! ! ..

so here is "shutter`s way to go"! >>>>....

before settling down to brekky..... Make up two hot water bottles.... place them on the dash board, lock your car...   and then go back in doors, have your brekky,... when you come out again... the screen will be free of frost.. it will also be warm, and your breath will not "fog" it up as you drive off to work... !

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Science says .....

@shutter

Good idea, my approach takes longer but defrosts all the windows plus a warm car.

I simply put a mains powered fan heater in my car connected to an extension lead, have my breakfast and 15 minutes later job done.

I am fortunate to have a drive to park my car on and access to a external power socket.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@gleneagles  I sometimes  do the same.... especially if it is an "early start"... i.e. before 9 am.... when the car is REALLY cold...as you say,  it also warms up the whole of the interior...

Of course, with it  being on an extension lead, you can , usually, lock the car for security....

Community Veteran

Heated front and rear screens are the answer. It only takes a few minutesSmiley

Just got home and the temperature has been dropping noticeably all afternoon.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I just park the car in the garage...
Community Veteran

@artmo

In some cases that might be correct but not all cars have heated front windows, oddly enough my honda has heated seats and wing mirrors but no heated front window.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just remember to not blast the windscreen with hot air or pour hot water over it when it's cold, otherwise you could end up with cracks running along it which would mean needing a new windscreen... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Things may have changed but, once only Ford's had heated front screens as they held the patent for them and refused to licence it to anyone else. Whether that has changed I don't know, but its not an option on Toyota's, if it was available I would guess they would fitted. Having had a number of Cortina's and Mondeo's over the years I can confirm its one of the very few items I really miss from them. I've been splashing warm water over icy windscreens for years without any problems whatsoever. However, if you use boiling water, you deserve everything you get.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

The ford patent ran out some years ago. Until other manufacturers fit them in the quantities that ford do, they will be an expensive option - catch 22!

Community Veteran

DaveyH wrote:
I just park the car in the garage...

There is so much, 'essential' junk in my garage I can hardly get in myself let alone a car.

Looking around at the number of cars parked in driveways or on the road where houses have garages I suspect I am not alone.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Actually, I think you'll find most modern cars (AKA 'Tonka Toys') won't fit in a traditional home garage because they are too 'fat'.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I doubt mine would - though I would have to get a skip in first to clear out the rubbish in mine.

I have a lot, including an old washing machine my sister left round.

So at least I have a spare if mine goes wrong .. think it still works, well it did around 6 years ago when it was last used Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Next y'all be worrying about engine oil heaters. We used to holiday over in Montana (USA) in November/December where the day time temperature would be about 10 deg F. Many of the motels would have electricity points in their outdoor parking bays where you could connect a cable to your (engine oil) block  heater to keep your engine warm overnight. It makes starting a lot easier.

Edit: added link to heaters.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.