cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schools & Computers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Schools & Computers

What are children taught about IT in school these days.
Do they have computers running windows or Linux or both ?
As you can tell I am not well up on this topic but in view of the stranglehold Microsoft has with windows are we likely to see more children remaining with windows or having enough knowledge to move to Linux once they leave school ?
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Schools & Computers

Ok. so I am well over 65.... Never had a computer at school.... never had one until about 1985... hadn`t got a clue... taught myself, by using windows, what I know, and how to get by....
kids at school today, most likely will have a windows based system .......because, most software runs on windows.... and the Linux alternatives just don`t measure up, or provide the same "facilities" that the windows version does... yes, some windows stuff you can get running on Linux, but you need a personal trainer to get it working... (see all my questions, queries, and problems)... which is the biggest problem that Linux has.... Not every kid can find the time to "prat around" with alternative software for Linux, that I have... and they will soon get bored with it, sticking with windows, .... why?
Because ... IT WORKS...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

or they have got  Apples or Tablets  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

When I was teaching YTS trainees we had Amstads running CPM+ what a blind alley that was. Crazy
Seriously though the guys and gals had enough computer knowledge to be frustrated. they all had PCs at home and enough rip off software and games which the couldnt run on the computers I had  Grin
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, you could be right about the use of Microsoft in schools.  They give very discounted prices on software so that would point schools in their direction.
Fixes: 105

My children's primary school have mac's and window's machines.
I suspect that software for the interactive whiteboard etc. is windows only.
I do have a concern that far too much IT is taught in school. With the standard for numeracy and literacy falling why do they spend so much time in front of PC's?
Get decent basic skills first before we let them anywhere near computers.
Will Moderate For Thanks
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran

Maybe I'm missing some point but I've never understood the over emphasis on computers in schools.
Is that all schools want to do, produce a long line of half trained office staff?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

When I worked for Edinburgh Council (about 10 years ago now) ALL the computers were either Apple or M$ based.  "BECT" (sp?) set the "standard" for things they could purchase, and negotiated licences (1000's££) with M$ for the s/w to run on them. There was ONE (out of 250+) school that had BSD running on some of the mac's (but that was down to the computing lead) most were sheep.
It may have changed now but I doubt it.  Crazy 1000's£'s wasted, kids don't need to know how to use M$ Office, they need to know how to use A Word processor/ A spreadsheet etc. Libre/Open office will do that for free,
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
A school that requires all pupils have iPads.

For that amount of money it would be far more useful if the final year students were given moped/scooter riding training. Then given one to ride to work on.
I expect schools have changed a lot since my days but I remember them stopping supplying pens, pencils, and paper. If would be better if schools went back to these basics instead of supplying what is probably looked upon by students as a flashy toy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've been in computing since 1970, but my experience at school almost prevented that in 1968. The method of input were data cards where the punch codes were marked with soft black (2B) pencils. The marked cards were then posted to a university computer "centre" for mark sense punching and then run on the computer. The turnaround time was about two weeks and the language was Fortran. I never did get the program to work. It is a lot easier for kids today.  Grin
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

When I worked in a design office in a small engineering company doing controls, schools were always "begging" for second hand computers, PLC (programmable logic controllers) relays, etc because they couldn't keep up. 18 months and the kit they had was obsolete  Embarrassed
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I've been in computing since 1970, but my experience at school almost prevented that in 1968. The method of input were data cards where the punch codes were marked with soft black (2B) pencils. The marked cards were then posted to a university computer "centre" for mark sense punching and then run on the computer. The turnaround time was about two weeks and the language was Fortran. I never did get the program to work. It is a lot easier for kids today.  Grin

I had a similar experience in the mid 70's except that we used BASIC and turn around time was approx 3-5 days. I think it was the ILEA computer that was used. IIRC I managed to get one program working but it was a frustrating experience.
What really got me interested was a project where we had to write a program for N!. Eventually I and a friend were given access to a terminal for direct imput. Having solved the problem I was hooked on computing...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I used to write programs in ALGOL, I put them unto a programme sheet, they were transferred to punch tape and you got back a sheet with your run errors on it. You kept this up till the day you got a printout of your results! Then down to the Union bar to celebrate - Huddersfield Polytechnic (now University)
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Ellis
Grafter

I started in 1986 on a Mainframe Terminal using Wordstar (an awful program for our purpose). Later in 1986 I was seconded to another job where I was my own boss (although theoretically still under my old boss). I realised that I needed a computer and printer for my job and bought a Sinclair QL which had a wisiwig wordprocessor. In 1988 I started a local branch of QUANTA (the QL User Group). We moved on to Amiga, Apple/Mac and IBM PC's. Monday Oct 10th will be our 23rd Anniversary and yes, we still meet every month.
I have been using Ubuntu/Linux for the last 5years. It is not a great difference from Windows except that it is much more secure (we have not yet found a virus that works with Linux). Unfortunately, the average computer user has no knowledge of how computers work, much less how to correct things when they go wrong. The result is that they spend a lot of money either on "Experts" to put it right or on a new computer.