cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School memories

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

School memories

Do you have good or bad school memories? Unlike children today it seems, my twin brother and I could both read and write (joined up) before we went to primary school. Our mother made sure of this. I was a little more advanced than my brother and was regularly reading (children's) novels. We were also able to know our way round times tables. But this was by no means unusual in the 50's when parents were much more likely to achieve this at home. To be fair, mothers were probably less likely to be holding down full time jobs in those days and could spend more time with their offspring.
However, I don't think I particularly enjoyed my school days much, and was only too pleased to leave at the first opportunity. Subjects I enjoyed were English, geography and music. Excelled in the handicraft subjects of metalwork and woodwork classes. Hated advanced maths, history and religious subjects. But since being schooled through three Church of England schools there was little choice with that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: School memories

I have some nice memories of school - the Junior School I went to was only just built when I went so no playing fields but we would go lovely nature walks through the fields [apart from when the nasty boys put tadpoles down our backs!].  My sister is 11 yrs older than me and she taught me to read and write before I started school too [in 50s also!] and she was always very pleased with herself for having done so.  I still have friends from those days.
At secondary school I enjoyed history, geography and english but hated maths, games/PE and science [did not like cutting up bulls eyes in biology at all!] and my favourite subject was art.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Do you have good or bad school memories?

Generally good, still meet up annually with a bunch of old about 20 classmates from secondary school, though several of us had been together from age 5!
Sadly one is being buried today.  Cry
Fixes: 125

Thursdays at grammar was always sausages and mash with the best apple crumble I've ever tasted for pud Smiley
Like Petlew I was reading and writing before I went to junior school and had a reading age of 12 when I was 8 - boy, what went wrong since Cheesy
I hated junior and primary school - was bullied. This continued into grammar but I was able to escape through music.
I thoroughly enjoyed maths, music & physics and hated history and geography with avengence. English language was good but not literature.
Our school was very strict which, looking back, was a good thing - discipline being what it is today, and I still remember sports days performing what was called the 'table' to the Blue Danube.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still