Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School kids have it too easy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

School kids have it too easy

Here's education in Sth Korea: http://aje.me/qaeaS8
A four week summer holiday and school on Saturdays.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: School kids have it too easy

And there is a really hard competitive exam for higher education - only the top ones get in
itsme
Grafter

Does education start and stop at school? Thought schools are to teach you to pass examinations not to educate.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
And there is a really hard competitive exam for higher education

I was reading about the Indian Institute of Technology (?), minimum entry requirement is 100% in the nominated subjects…………….. 99% is a failure
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Kids may well have it too easy but long term they are going to suffer for it and some of that is down to previous generations who tinkered with the education system so we ended up with children who can barely read or write, in fact some cannot even speak correctly. What chance do they have of getting a good job or any job. No chance of a House or pension and no chance they will be able to continue to expect the state to support them as the state is virtually bust.
Many of us had tough childhoods but there were more opportunities in the 50s & 60s than there are today so yes Kids may well have it easy at present but it ain't going to last.
Community Veteran

I was speaking to an Msc graduate (a nephew) going forward to do a Phd the other day. I suggested he did farm work (fruit picking) to finance his way through his Phd,
“BUT I’ve got an Msc (in some obscure subject) you don’t expect me to do manual work”.
I remember doing nightshift at a injection moulding machine at the Thermos flask factory, think that was in Brentwood, followed by a newspaper round, followed by a shift picking peas or potatoes or apples on a local farm (living in a tent)..............it was good to get back to Uni for the rest.
Two months hard work paid for a year of education