cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School dinners - your memories

Fixes: 125

School dinners - your memories

Girl, 9, whose photo blog of her terrible school dinners became an internet sensation is banned by c... (I do with the Mail would keep their headlines shorter Cheesy)
Having read the article it brought back fond memories of my school dinners in the 60's and 70's.
Primary school is a bit hazy but I seem to remember that I liked most of it except the cheese flan which was always dry.
At grammar school we had fantastic dinners. There was always a regular daily main meal (I seem to remember Mondays was stew, Thursdays was always sausages and mash with crumble for 'afters' -still a favourite of mine today - Friday was always fish (often fingers). Can't remember the other days but there was always salad available and often something else along with sponges and rice pudding/semolina. The food was plentiful and seconds were frequently available. Occasionally we had brown or pink custard which usually tasted the same as the vanilla but was still palatable. The teachers had the same as us and were served by some of the pupils which was deemed a privilege to be chosen.
I liked some of the girls comments in her blog:
The mince pasta was the same as spaghetti bolognese but with different shaped pasta and more sweetcorn than last time. I don't know why they call it mince pasta and not just spagbol!

The good thing about this blog is Dad understands why I am hungry when I get home.

What are your memories of school dinners?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: School dinners - your memories

I hated school dinners and took packed lunches.  More and more pupils did the same in time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Maggot ball goulash -  meat balls incorporating boiled white rice in a paprika tomato sauce. Served with rice or chips. Tasted great provided you didn't think about maggots wriggling out of the meat balls.
That was about 45 years ago.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

At primary school (up to age 11) virtually all of us walked home from the village school for lunch (the school dinners were brought in from a central kitchen and were horrible)  - it was only half a mile each way
After that at grammar school virtually everyone had school dinners and they were generally excellent - cooked from fresh ingredients on the premises (there were a small number of boarders - about 40 I believe - mainly for those pupils who would have found it difficult to commute every day by public transport as they lived in outlying villages although also for the boys of service personnel)

I forgot to say that for both my schools the meals were freshly cooked on the premises. Perhaps that made a difference to the quality?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

jmd
Grafter

All I can remember of my school dinners is that most of them were horrible!  Solid semolina, dried up vegetables.  Put me off cabbage for life.  I think the dinners they get now look much more palatable.  We had no choice either.
I was always glad my Mum cooked a "proper" dinner each night when I got home from school!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

All I recall about school dinners is that they cost me (well my parents) Five shillings a week.
BryanP
Grafter

You must be around the same age as me because it cost my mother 5 shillings a week (25 new pence in today’s money).
I looked forward to dinners on Monday, Wednesday & Friday, the meals on Tuesday and Thursday for some reason were horrible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't remember what we (twin bro and I) did for dinner in primary and junior school, but don't think we had school dinners. In secondary we only lived a couple of hundred yards away and went home for dinner.
The aversion to school dinner (because that's what it was, was most likely because along behind our garden and those of most of our neighbours were the school dinner kitchens, and the smells from there every day was er! not pleasant.
Next door, lived our aunt (as was very common in those days, we seemed to be related to practically everybody in the road) who was a supervisor in the kitchens, and she evidently never brought home any left-overs, which speaks volumes.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Javert
Grafter

I always had school dinners at Secondary School - the food being cooked on the premises.  I was also elevated to the position of Server - which meant having our meals later - with the occasional bonus of “extras” (food left over in the kitchen).  It was there that I was also introduced to the delights of a Manchester Tart.
Community Veteran

Do you remember what the Manchester Tart was called Grin
Javert
Grafter

Sorry . . that's covered by the Official Secrets Act!
David_W
Rising Star

Primary school, only thing I remember about that is semolina and having a friend who couldn't eat ham for religious reasons, and of course passing on the rumours that if you ate the pip of a cherry (ohh cherry and custard) the cherry would grow inside of you - wait, might have been a plum, can't really remember.  Comprehensive I'd have a sandwich and 1/2 a pint of milk (that was in Wales) whilst in Cornwall I'd have pasty, beans and chips with milk, usually flavoured milk (chocolate).
After watching Jamie Olivers food revolution (the American one, part 2) I wish I'd never had the milk, luckily you can't really make a pasty with the pink sludge stuff they use to make burgers and what-not.

Quote from: David
...and of course passing on the rumours that if you ate the pip of a cherry (ohh cherry and custard) the cherry would grow inside of you - wait, might have been a plum, can't really remember.

I always thought that was for apple pips Undecided
Edit: Had the very same conversation with SWMBO yesterday as, after cutting up some apples for my crumble, she set about eating the core including the pips Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Apple pips are poisonous as they contain cyanide  Shocked