Did you mean: 

School bans blind white stick

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

School bans blind white stick

Hi All
Just seen this:
School bans blind seven-year-old’s white stick... because she might trip people up

A BLIND seven-year-old has been banned from bringing her cane to school because she might trip up other pupils.
Lily-Grace Hooper from Bristol was informed of the school’s bizarre decision after it carried out a risk assessment and deemed her white stick posed a high risk to others around her.
“When the school told me she can no longer bring her cane into school, I just thought this must be health and safety gone mad,” said Lily-Grace’s mum Kirsty.
“She hasn't had any problems with any of the other students, and none of the parents have complained about it - in fact, they have all been very supportive.”
Read More here

Angry  Angry
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: School bans blind white stick

School staff nowadays have become so alien to real life they should be provided with visas as visitors from outer space.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Once again The nambys win  , unbelievably stupid Elfin safety 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Un-freakin-believable!  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro

I wonder if the HSE will step in to correct the madness here as it has done in other cases with school madness in the past
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Maybe they should ban the teacher-version text books too, you know, the books they use to guide themselves along in the darkness of education, see how well they can "teach" then without their own version of a white stick... Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro

wow out here in the sticks they use a single digital book via class room projector cos the paper stuff is too expensive what with all those teacher salary increases steeling from the books budget ....
must be so nice to still have individual books .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's been 14.5 years since I left school, back then we used pens, paper and books, not HDLP projectors, interactive whiteboards and iTowels... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is this not a case of discrimination ? Something I thought was illegal. ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
..., back then we used pens, paper and books, not HDLP projectors, interactive whiteboards and iTowels... Grin

I reckon some of the members on this forum were still using slates and slate pencils when they left school.  Wink
I wonder if this young girl is learning Braille at the same time?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

so.... what about the "health and safety" of this child...... by not allowing her to "feel" i.e. "see" her own way around... there is a "mental cruelty" involved in telling her she cannot bring her stick to school... the stick is also a way of building her self confidence, and her only way to "know" the world around her.  
I suppose they are more concerned about the " duty of care " to the majority of the other pupils, rather than the "duty of care" to the individual...
The swear filter on here prevents me from expressing my true thoughts about the person who made the decision to ban the white stick... as gleneagles said.. it s also a form of discrimination. against the disabled.  
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the situation is basically the duty of care to 1 individual can't override the duty of care to everyone in the school.
now, clearly they will be looking at alternate measures to assist the individual in question.
clearly the safety of everyone in the school has to be a priority.
if they have done a proper risk assessment and deemed it could cause potential problems then the correct decision was made.
how it's handled, of course, is another matter.
if your child was tripped up by the stick and smashed in their face whilst falling, i bet you'd be taking the school to the cleaners for not properly ensuring your child is in a safe environment.
Community Veteran

I wonder if the School Health and Safety bods have done risk assessment on the basis of anticipated pupil journeys close to the child x the probability of tripping. I guess there must be some detailed statistics to show how frequently kids are tripped up by blind people's white canes?  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I suspect the kids in the school are far more aware than the adults give them credit for - having got used to Lily-Grace having the cane it's very unlikely they will trip. Also they are very light and held in such a way that a child running in to the cane will knock it out of her hand before having an accident themselves.
They are also overlooking the very valuable lessons the other children are learning about accepting disability and how to take it in to account by behaving appropriately around her without making an issue of it.
So far all the school has taught the other kids is that disability is an issue.
Madness, utter madness!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: chenks76

if your child was tripped up by the stick and smashed in their face whilst falling, i bet you'd be taking the school to the cleaners for not properly ensuring your child is in a safe environment.

If my child was tripped up by the stick, because they were running about and not looking where they were going, and being aware of the blind child in their presence, then I would say to my child.... Serves you right ... you should look where you are going,  just the same as my parents would have said to me...
then... I would have taken my child to the hospital, (if needed)..

As spoon whittler has said... the other kids are probably all aware of her disablement... and being kids...will be very careful around her... it would not surprise me, if many of them want to be "friends" with her , and help her as much as they can in their own way..