cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School Class Reunion

Fixes: 47

School Class Reunion

A few years ago I had a chance encounter with an old school friend...he was driving the bus I boarded.

He told me about a school class reunion which was taking place including time and location, strongly advising me to come along......I did.

It rapidly became clear that there was a small number of groups of regulars and two or three newbies like myself.

I propped up the bar for a while where a few people came over and engaged me in small talk having recognised me....apparently I hadn't changed a bit.

I managed to evade queries about contact details saying I didn't use a mobile and was currently moving to a new build house so didn't have a landline number.

Shortly after I thanked the host and left vowing never to do it again.....I haven't.

Are you a regular at a reunion?

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: School Class Reunion

No way would I ever attend a school reunion.

I am still close friends with one school pal (45 years this year) and we both agree we'd not want to see anyone the class again.

Ironically, though, I can still recite the full class register from memory in alphabetical orderCrazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Never !... I would never go to one of those "gigs"....  not sure what the point is...... most of the kids formed cliques or secret groups of friends, and hated everyone who wasn`t in their circle... I was never in anyone`s circle... .... ( I wonde why ! !!!   Cheesy )  I did make a couple of friends, but they were only the kids I used to go to skool wiv an I wernt intrested in them after skool shut. 

The only reason I can see to make a "reunion" make sense, would be so that everyone could evaluate how well, their so-called friends had, or had not, managed to do, since they were at skool...

so that would only give you "bragging rights" on the one hand, or "total humiliation" on the other hand....

Yeah.... let`s do another one in 5 years time.........  Embarrassed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would never attend anything like that, in fact when I finished work I got a letter inviting me to a reunion of other retired members but never considered going, I was glad to be retired and the last thing I would want is to listen to people going on about the past.

Community Veteran

Noooooooo.................

PowerLee
Rising Star

I wouldnt have no interest in a school reunion.

22 years after leaving im only still in contact / go drinking with 1 person from the class I was in.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't be interested, and no one would be interested in me; a fair number could be no more by now.

Other half went to her boarding school's class year reunion's 60th last year, but it was of special interest.

The girls' section had been miles away from the boys', and had been sold for redevelopment, and the school made co-ed. The boys' school being quite prestigious and historic, she went along!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Never been to or wanted to go to a reunion, school was done, moved 100 miles away, never looked back, though sadly I'm now about 20 miles from it, so far I've not been recognised though... Grin

Would like to see some of the girls from the year I was in, the sorts that were living on their looks, see how much they've, ahem, "faded" over the past 15 years... Evil

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nope, I can't really say more than shutter said as he sums it up perfectly.

I have no interest in any of my former peers.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 121

Apart from my friend mentioned above I have no interest at all in my former fellow pupils at all.

I do know one is a well-renown professor and leading researcher of a particular disease but that wasn't a surprise considering his parental background.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

One of the people at my reunion told me he had flown in specially from Sidney for the event and had done so for the past 20 odd years since emigrating to a better life down under.

I think I was supposed to be suitably impressed.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I occasionally meet so old friends from school Smiley  we have a web page and a FB group .. mind you we are a wierd group

https://www.oldmasonians.org/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nadger
Rising Star

I've met up with several people who started grammar school with me in Sept 1946 - we started having annual meets a few years ago - I'm at young end of age range at 81 next month

Also went to 75th birthday of school a few years ago

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My old grammer school was so popular with the local council it was bulldozed 15 years after I left and replaced with a council housing  estate. It had survived 250 years before the Labour council managed to destroy it. Reunions are pointless for us.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

On reflection I would not mind a reunion with some of my teachers as I am convinced they hated children and I never understood why they ever went into teaching.

I Guess many had served in the last war and this may have had something to do with it, of course this was at a time when children were seen and not heard.