cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary Email

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Scary Email

On Friday night... about 11.30 pm... I received a very scary email..... here is the text...

________________________________________________________________________________________

Good day.

You have set up my malware by chance.

The virus ciphers your information with Advanced Encryption Standard-192. Following cipher my malicious software may block your OS with no possibility to rescue files. Reserve copy will cause the freezing.

Clearly that its a cryptolocker.
In case if you wish to conserve your drives and files send me 139 usd in btc(cryptocurrensy). I take solely complete amount. After transfer I am going to provide you instruction which will support you erase my cryptolocker.

Here is mine BTC number - 1AriDwbQEdDtJaD5sYWFcvEebHftNn7A53

You have twenty hours since this moment.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Was quite concerned, about this, and made some "preparations" ...  just in case ....  having given it some thought later, I "kinda" thought it may just be a scam... 

At midnight last night i was watching a movie on Youtube.... and nothing happened. .... and here I am this morning... with everything as normal.... ( but a few slightly frayed nerves !! ! !  )..

I have heard about this "crytocurrency"... but have no ideas on how to obtain any, or it`s value, etc...  (I don`t think I am rich enough either ! ! )...

If you know anyone who MAY be vulnerable to this kind of email, then perhaps this thread, will be a way of passing on the information to them via yourselves. ...

If anyone knows of where I should report this, so that investigative action may be taken... then please let me know...

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

Re: Scary Email

You might want to start here @shutter

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

With the information you have they may stand a good chance of catching this person as it looks very amateurish, and who I note can't even spell Cryptocurrency!

Community Veteran

@Mook     Thanks Mook... will send them a copy of it..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's just a phishing email, hoping to catch a mug who thinks it's a genuine threat, it'd be more threatening if you got an onscreen prompt claiming such nasties that didn't come via email...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke  Yeah.... You know that.... I know that.... and so do a lot of people....but it is the first time I have seen this type of message...and it is always worthwhile putting this kind of thing on to the forum for those less informed, to be informed, so they do not get taken in by the scammmers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Although it is most likely a scam @shutter took the wise precaution of backing everything up but if it appeared other than in a email as @twocvbloke describes and you were using a Android tablet what would your best course of action be assuming the spelling was correct and you considered it may be genuine ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

If it were a genuine threat @gleneagles I would assume that an Android device does offer some form of backup, and maybe even Anti Malware software, there would no doubt be Apps available.

However, if you couldn’t remove the infection all that is left is to do is to let it run its course then factory reset the device and restore your archived content after the fact.

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

With the information you have they may stand a good chance of catching this person as it looks very amateurish, and who I note can't even spell Cryptocurrency

Mis-spelling is often deliberate, it get's past any blacklist of words or phrases.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Looks remarkably similar to one I also received on Friday...

Good evening.

You have installed my malicious software by chance.

The maleficent software encrypts all information with AES-192. Following cipher this maleficent software can freeze your system with no opportunity to rescue info. Backup copy will lead to the freezing.

Clearly that its a cryptolocker.

In case if you would like to conserve your hardware and information send me 99 usd in btc(cryptocurrensy). I accept solely full sum. After transaction I am going to send you instruction which will support you destroy my maleficent software.

Its my bitcoin number - 1PV4i7oJoA7YURXPLFzigkcdDygXC8nXi1

You have 24 h since this moment.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

Now this is a scary email that was probably quite profitable :

Sent: 19 Jan 2018 02:16

To: {Removed}

Subject: SGL: 19 Jan 2018 10:49:27 In fаct,this рrоblеm is еаsy to sоlve.

Whats up

During all your life u was notified to surf web cautiously, but you didnt. Whats happened?- You re guessing. Lets start with the fact that I put the malicious soft on a website with videos for adults (site with pоrn content) (u know whats up). Victim was watching video for adults and device began operating as dedicated desktop with keylogger function. The dedicated desktop helped me to find this e-mail, I thought that u will 100 percent check the work email. Furthermore all cams and screen instantly started recording. Then my virus got all ur contacts from messengers, e-mails and social networks. So whatsup? I created the double screen vid (first part-screen rec.(u have a nice interests lmao), second- camera record) and all your contacts. I think its not good news. Thus in my opinion two hunned ninety usd is enough for that little misstep. My bitcoin wallet - 156eSKJU22jHHUEr6zznqMiDyR1L7DFFPY

(address should be without "space" or this "=" digit) 

Ask internet how to use it. It isnt very hard. Just write "how to get btc" I give u 1 day after opening this letter(I placed a tracking pixel in it, Ill know when you open it). If I don't recieve my btc All your contacts will recieve video with you When I receive btc- the сompromising will be deleted.If u ask me to send evidence, reply + and Ill send this video to three contacts Ive collected from you.

Can go to cops, but for a one day they can not cope, im from Germany, so you will be shamed af.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Had that one as well....

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/You-caught-me-doing-what/m-p/1511483#M239133

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

I got something similar a couple months back, knew it was a fake when they claimed they turned on my camera, none of my computers (laptop & desktop) have cameras......... Funny

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Just wondering!Undecided I use File History which copies files to my external drive in real time. System is backed up with Macrium on external drive. Could a real nasty also infect that drive, it being constantly connected to the computer?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

If files can be seen they can be attacked.

it's important to protect the point of entry, your computer.........

Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:
it's important to protect the point of entry, your computer.........

Easy enough, just disconnect the router, unplug the computer from the mains, don a foil hat, and all's well... Grin

Or, just live with the fact that the 0.0000000000000000001% chance that something does happen to your computer, you'd still have better odds playing the lottery...Funny