cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scart's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Scart's

I very recently had to replace my DVD/HDD recorder and am none too happy with the replacement. This too will be replaced very shortly. Prior to the purchase of the new recorder I thought long and hard about replacing the dud recorder with a PVR and seperate DVD player (I own not a single Blu-Ray disc but have a considerable library of DVD's)
I would prefer to connect all hardware using Scart leads; so what is the correct order to connect:
(I only ever use fully wired Scarts)
TV (has 2 Scart input AV1 and AV2  
Sky digibox 2 Scart AV1 and AV2 + aerial in and out to TV + Sky dish
PVR unknown number of Scart yet
DVD player unknown number of Scart yet.
TV (is currently sky box AV1 to TV AV2, Current DVD/HDD recorder AV2 to TV AV1)
(Sky digi-box is currently AV1 to TV AV2, AV2 to DVD/HDD AV1)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Scart's

Depends on how/if are able/you want to record to the pvr from the dvd/sky box.
You could connect the dvd to the sky box then to the pvr dvd->sky 1 sky2->pvr if it allows for chaining.
I know someone who has sky will be along and tell you how to do it  Wink
Last time I wired one of these up it was sky 1->tv sky 2->dvd other box to avi2 on tv but the other box wasn't a recorder. (but that was a couple of years ago and I may have the socket numbers wrong)

Fixes: 47

In the days when I used scart leads I did once have a situation where I had two different device's outputs on screen at the same time (DVD and TV from Video tuner) when they were daisy chained.
I swapped things around and all was well so I can appreciate the need to get things right.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes thanks guy's. With new hardware, they usually only show in their manuals how to connect their own equipment, its rare to find another box of any sort mentioned, although some will mention a set-top box but often not how its connected.
To answer the question I would like to be able to record from the Sky digi-box (I don't have and not likely to indulge in Sky+)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

One thing, amongst many, that I know nothing about is HDMI connections that one seems to need for high definition devices.
Community Veteran

Yes, I've just bought a new PVR and connected it to the TV via HDMI.  If I want to view HD programmes on the TV I have to select 'TV' as the input on the television as the HD channels aren't available via the HMDI input Undecided

Scart is very much a legacy connector now and found on less and less items.
nadger
Rising Star

Full HD TV we recently purchased does have 2 scart sockets - use one for Freesat SD box and the other for Thomson Freeview recorder.
I see that Freesat HD boxes include HDMI lead so assumed that had to be used.

My Samsung doesn't have room for scart sockets (too slim) but what it has supplied with it is a breakout cable with various sockets, including a scart attached presumably for backward compatibility.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
One thing, amongst many, that I know nothing about is HDMI connections that one seems to need for high definition devices.

Likewise nadger! Both the TV and the DVD/HDD recorder (the current one I don't like) have HDMI and are currently connected with a suitable cable (largely because I had a cable already and it seemed the "right" thing to do. And also with a Scart lead. Does this mean I don't need the Scart between them?
Both also have "component" input/output facility although I don't have a suitable cable for this.
Getting rid of some of the chunky Scart leads would be nice if I don't actually need them.
Then it could be Sky box AV1 to TV AV1
And Sky box AV2 to DVD/HDD recorder AV2.
TV AV2 would then be spare, if I should choose to go down the separates route (OP)
Does that all sound right?

I would say always use HDMI where available and then fall back to other types of connection where necessary.
nadger
Rising Star

Does HDMI connection override scart connections like scart 1 will do to scart 2?
johpal
Grafter

HDMI cables carry digital signals and should be used in preference to SCART cables (that carry a variety of analogue signals) if the option is available. SCART cables cannot carry HD information. Component outputs carry image information only, not sound.
My Humax PVR does not have an input to record from an external device. Presumably other manufacturers do?
@Petlew: In your OP, you do not state if your TV is 'HD Ready' (in which case, it will have an HDMI input). If this is the case, you could buy a blu-ray player and benefit from the improved resolution of new purchases and still be able to play your DVDs. These will also have the (disputed) benefit of being 'upscaled' and may actually look better.
Community Veteran

Thanks johpal (and all others who posted) Yes my TV is HD ready.
I have connected using that I described in post 10 with quite good results. No Scart between DVD/HDD recorder just HDMI So nadger I guess the answer is Yes!
In fact I'm a bit happier with the existing recorder (Samsung) than I was before starting this thread. But not entirely so, I didn't realise when I bought it that it is not twin tuner, so has some rather old fashioned "features" like, having to switch to standby to record, so it can't be used to record on HDD and play a DVD at the same time, as the previous Sony could.
However this wasn't the point of the thread.

Community Veteran

The PVR I bought was a Humax which has twin tuners which are useful.  The other one I looked at was a Sony but they are currently single tuner but the new Sony due out soon will be twin.  The one advantage I liked in the Sony though was that it had a DVD recorder built in so it was possible to transfer a prog you wanted to keep to DVD.