Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers at it again

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Scammers at it again

I have just received a phone call (allegedly) from TalkTalk. The person said they are sorry to inform me that my router was having "some serious issues regarding constant disconnections" and were offering £250 compensation. I asked them how they got my phone number to which he replied..."from your account". I told him that I was recording the conversation because I believe it to be a scam and the phone went dead.

Now, I thought, being as I am not with TalkTalk, how did they get my number? Don't worry PN, I'm not blaming you, but it does make me think that if scammers like this are using TalkTalk as a way in, how much longer will it be before using PN or any other ISP for that matter.

Be on your guard if the phone rings, you never know.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
24 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Scammers at it again

I am with Talk Talk and ever since that last major hack I have had these calls. Phone was silent before it!! BT8610 advanced call blocker phone has been a nice investment. Talk Talk give you OK privacy features for free but I can do more with the BT8610.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

They didn't get your number they just dialled all of them in turn until they got to yours.

Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Steve
Pro

In that last major Talk Talk hack I even had scammers tell me what my name is.

Pete11
Pro

The other strange thing is, he told me that my TalkTalk account number was ...blah, blah, blah etc. Ha, no chance of that cos I don't have an account with them. I think these people should get a proper job, like cleaning up sheep or cow poo.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Fixes: 47

I do wonder why I have a landline phone as scammers and cold callers have made it virtually useless.

I only answer calls which are in the phone's address book.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@Steve

One better than that, I had call on my new number asking for the Mrs by her first name -- the day after I had paid BT to have it changed because of nuisance calls!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

My mum gets them quite often, who is on PlusNet, but I am sure these are unrelated to PlusNet Smiley

The conversation went like this, roughly went as follows:

Scammer: "We're calling from BT. There is a problem with your interent connection"
Me: "Can you describe the nature of the problem, my ISP and my external IP address"
Scammer "I don't understand - ISP".
Me: "Internet Service Provider. Who is it?"
Scammer "I don't understand".

(Scammer hangs up).

Looking forward to the next one!

Steve
Pro

The last conversation I had with one of them before I got fed up was one of the scammers telling me someone else is using my Wifi. Funny that I told him as I don't have Wifi. I ended the call. I bought a BT8610. Only people in my phone book get straight through. Anonymous callers have to announce who they are and press # . I can accept the call or block it. It stores up to 1000 numbers to block. International calls I have blocked automatically and all withheld numbers get put straight to my answer machine.

Versus blocking ALL withheld numbers ( might be important ) and block up to 16 numbers with the Talk Talk free privacy features. 

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Alex wrote:

Scammer "I don't understand - ISP".

ISP

Community Veteran

That sounds good Steve, I worked at companies who didn't like CLID being used (don't know why), so at least they can leave a message and then you can tell if it a genuine call, and not someone saying you've been missold PPI.

Mind you my landline BT phones are 13 years old and have been playing up recently so maybe it is time I change them 😄
Steve
Pro

That is the way I have it set up anyway. I could block everything except my phone book but I feel that is too heavy handed. So far so good, nothing getting through and withhelds are not leaving messages Smiley

Community Veteran

Though the scammers are getting wiser, sadly as with what happens with everything.

I got calls from a number, about 6 months ago. Only lasted for three days. Can't remember the format, but something like 0123456789012. False, but would get around any blocks, unless you whitelist everyone you know, and blacklist ones you don't and withheld. So they can make calls to fool CLID, hopefully BT have fixed that now.

The trouble with that then is it causes issues if you're dealing with a legitimate company, I guess all you can do is listen to voicemail, ignore the fake calls and call back the real ones.
Steve
Pro

They are indeed, mainly getting around CLID I have all sorts of weird and wonderful numbers calling in the past starting 00. I don't mind calling anyone back who might be withheld and leave a message. Beats the other way of having to either answer them all ( while you are at home )  or block them all. In my opinion. Like you I needed a new house phone anyway Grin

Fixes: 124

Maybe I am just lucky as I rarely get scam calls. I think I have just had one in the last year. I get a few cold calls for insurance and the like but they don't bother me as I just ignore unknown numbers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still