cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scamazon?

Hero
Fixes: 9

Scamazon?

I think there may have been a post about something like this on this forum before but I can't find it.

I've never had any dealings with Amazon at all but the other day I received a landline call, and when I said Hello, a recorded message thanked me for renewing my Amazon Prime subscription (or words to that effect).  I just hung up assuming it was some kind of scam, like press 1 and be charged £1 minute etc.

Anyone else had this unsolicited call?

8 REPLIES 8
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Scamazon?

There have been loads of these calls. They offer to renew you Prime subscription for the grand sum of £99.

Not an Amazon fan but I believe Prime subscription is only £79 per annum.

Hero
Fixes: 5

I've had them @Jonpe and they usually sound totally unconvincing, saying things like "Thank you for renewing your Amazon Prime for thirty-nine-point-nine-nine" with no mention of what currency they're trying to scam you in.

The funny thing is, whilst those pre-recorded messages are usually in an understandable Americanised foreign accent, possibly computer generated, if you press '1' (or whatever number they direct you to) to have a bit of fun with them, you usually get an unintelligible Indian sub-continent script reader.

I don't think pressing a number and being charged £1 per minute is possible (ISTR previous dismissals of that on the forum).

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 56

@Jonpe wrote:

I think there may have been a post about something like this on this forum before but I can't find it.

I've never had any dealings with Amazon at all but the other day I received a landline call, and when I said Hello, a recorded message thanked me for renewing my Amazon Prime subscription (or words to that effect).  I just hung up assuming it was some kind of scam, like press 1 and be charged £1 minute etc.

Anyone else had this unsolicited call?

As @RobPN and @agedgopher point out, there are loads of these scams - and the 'HMRC arrest warrant' and 'misused NI number'/BT 'closing your phone/internet due to illegal activity', and a few more favourites I can't recall off the top of my head.

These are all pre-recorded/VAR calls generated by autodiallers, and the only real risk you will get from them if you answer is even more of the same when your number gets on the 'live' list.

The best advice is to never answer a call from a number you don't recognise - unless you are expecting one - and within a reasonably short time, the volume of calls will decrease dramatically - there are only a small number of large 'scam centres' and they share data, so ignore two or three and you are marked as a waste of time, and your number erased from the program.

Since the scammers worked out the VAR calls were much more effective than having 'humans', if you can call the vermin that initiate these calls that, it has become easy to spot 'em - if you lift the phone and stay silent, the call will auto-disconnect after about 15 seconds. The other giveaway, to me at least are the obscure area codes they spoof, somehow I don't think Amazon have a call centre on the Isle of Skye, for instance, nor would they call you from spoofed mobile.

John
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 169

You would hope that anyone with a Prime account would be aware that Amazon keep your Credit Card details and are very efficient at taking money that they are owed without the need to contact you.

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 56

@Baldrick1 All very true, but there is a large minority of people who don't 'think', and sadly believe what they are told.

John
Hero
Fixes: 30

@RobPN wrote:

I don't think pressing a number and being charged £1 per minute is possible (ISTR previous dismissals of that on the forum).

Indeed, it's a persistent urban myth, spread until recent times even by police forces.

@jab1 is right - ignoring dodgy looking numbers soon cuts down the flow dramatically. I get about one every six weeks.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thanks everyone, I don't get many unwanted calls and I only listened to the first few seconds so I don't really know what the scam was, but I was pretty sure it wasn't a call from Amazon.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Never been a fan of AMAZON...but this page was pointed to in the weekly Moneysaving expert email....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Warehouse-Deals/b/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&node=3581866031&linkCode=s...

so if you want it cheaper, but with "maybe" a few scratches or dented box, or missing user manual.... you may be interested...

Might have a scan ... just to see what`s there... but ...............