cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam the scammer! Beware the Indians again.

KenA
Grafter

Scam the scammer! Beware the Indians again.

Well, I'm just off the phone from a cold call which I received as I was finishing my dinner. Being in the Telephone Preference Service doesn't stop overseas calls as this one was.
It was an Indian gentleman suggesting that he'd been notified by Microsoft that my computer had caught a virus...
I was aware of this type of scam, so I played along with the caller, and of course he didn't know that I sort out computer problems as part of my job. Anyway, I played along, and asked him how he had found out it was my computer. I eventually asked him to tell me my IP address, so that I could be sure he was referring to the right computer. After fluffing it for a bit, he put me on to a supervisor, who gave me an IP address that was invalid, and when I mentioned that, he hung up.
This was the second time they have phoned me, the last time, I also spun them along for a bit of fun.
However, beware!! If you haven't heard of this before, they try to persuade you to download some "checking software" from their website, which of course "proves" you have a virus, then charge you for their software to "remove" it again.
After the first time they called, I phoned my dad who is in his 80s, to warn him. He told me that they had called him this afternoon, but he had replied "it's all right, don't worry, I'll get my son to fix it". Ah well!!
2 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Scam the scammer! Beware the Indians again.

I had an sub continent non English last night, would I do a survey on how much Electric and Gas I use
I wonder what they do this for as I am sure that Ofgen can get those very same figures from the fuel companies concerned
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Scam the scammer! Beware the Indians again.

Cue offer for combined Gas/Electricity supply within the next few days.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.