cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Scam calls

I was listening to Moneybox (R4) about a lady who was scammed out of £12k by a telephone scam.
What surprised me was she had £12k in a current account ready to transfer.
I came to the conclusion that this scam had to have an "insider contact" supplying the scammers with details of customers with > £10k in current accounts.
Can't see that the scam would work on an overdrawn account.
26 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Scam calls

Scam callers are getting worse and worse. Just today the police alerted my area after scam artists calling people claiming to be health professionals and asking if you are home alone wanting to book appointments with them( scary stuff ) I worry for my neighbours most of them are old and I'm not sure how clued up they are on stuff like this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I would love to have 12K never mind just in my current account. But yes the scammers are at it again. I love my little CPR call blocker, 99% of the calls are blocked anyway and if one gets through just press the button and they are blocked as well.
Paid £40 a couple of years ago and it has proved well worth the money, esp. given that the call option would have been more than than and ongoing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't answer the phone, so they don't bother me... Grin
If people need to communicate with me directly, I have my mobile phone, the landline's just there cos it comes as a package with the FTTC... Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: journeys
What surprised me was she had £12k in a current account ready to transfer.

Santander, the bank involved, has a 123 account that pays 3% AER on balances of £3,000-£20,000 which is more than most savings accounts with easy access.
Today's Money Box Live further discussed this type of fraud..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068w1h0
Fixes: 125

Quote from: twocvbloke
I don't answer the phone, so they don't bother me... Grin
If people need to communicate with me directly, I have my mobile phone, the landline's just there cos it comes as a package with the FTTC... Grin

Didn't know you couldn't be scammed on a mobile phone Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

You can, but only if you give the number to dubious entities that sell data illegally, plus with my mobile it's far easier to block such calls with a few taps, unlike with a landline which requires additional hardware and a subscription to a service that costs too much... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

On my (mobile)phone I have an app called Trueblocker that will drop calls from numbers you specify, saves repeatedly killing them or letting your mobile ring out. There is a similar app for text messages.
Community Veteran

My phone has that feature built into it, annoying call from person A, add to auto-reject list, person A tries calling and doesn't even get to leave a message... Grin
nanotm
Pro

on three you can tell them about any text or phone call's and have them block them, the system hasn't worked since they bought o2 but then apart from adding the new iPhone to the product list they haven't added any handset's to the product lineup since befor easter and most of them are listed as out of stock, almost like they are planning to wind up one of both firms and introduce a new better firm (just like orange /tmobile moved into EE but if that is the case then I hope to god they don't make the same hashup of it as ee did /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

three are currently showing the 6S as coming soon and they've also go the S6 edge in stock. so where is this "no new hansets" claim coming from ?
yet another nanotm made up story.
nanotm
Pro

the galaxy was listed as available soon in april, the other handset in an iPhone derivative so please do try harder /
Community Veteran

Regardless of network or handset availability, a decent modern smartphone can block unwanted calls... Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: nanotm
the galaxy was listed as available soon in april, the other handset in an iPhone derivative so please do try harder /

ignoring the S6 edge then?
currently in stock.
nothing hard in pointing out bollocks posts from certain people, therefore i don't need to try any harder than i (and every one) does when it comes to your posts Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

Galaxy phone range.....