cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam and obtaining a recording of phone call

Stu2
Hooked

Scam and obtaining a recording of phone call

Is it possible to obtain a recording of a mobile phone conversation where a scam is concerned, this is going back to January.

Any help please !

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 187

Re: Scam and obtaining a recording of phone call

@Stu2 

Not unless you or the scammer recorded it. 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nope - as above, unless you or the scammer recorded it then no. TelCo's don't record calls en-masse, they might if the police or other law enforcement need to monitor a suspect but that would be the only time.

For future ref, android no longer allows apps to intercept the call sound stream and record. The only phones that will do this are those where the manufacturer has chosen to rework android and include this ability.

Android 5.1 fully supported it so if you can find an android 5.1 phone you'll have better luck recording calls in the future.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I always use "Automatic Call Recorder Pro" on my old android phone. But as said I guess this app no longer works on newer versions of android. Probably one of the reasons they say download the free version first to test if it works.

Though someone in the reviews have said with a bit of fiddling they were able to make it work on their Samsung S10+

7up
Community Veteran

Some Samsung phones do support it - Samsung have tinkered with android to reintroduce it however this is not available on most other manufacturers phones.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Not the question asked but do the police have access to mobile phone data showing time and date of call and number it was made from ? or have I been watching too many police series ?
If someone did scam you and the caller was in this country then the police would be the ones to contact, if the scam was from abroad then you are likely sunk no matter who you contact.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I think you'll find the Police can obtain phone records plus copies of sms message sent etc. But the actual recording, you'd probably have to be on a wire(less) tap as part of a criminal investigation. And if its outside the UK, depends on the country as to how they co-operate.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
7up
Community Veteran

Yes they can obtain phone logs and regarding text messages my understanding is that these will usually be recovered directly from your phone - of if you have sync, your google / apple account. The device is the best though as they can recover deleted messages sometimes. Not sure if texts are kept by the network though.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

The police at times can use tactics in order to obtain the PIN number or password from a suspect, either by threatening to hold the mobile phone for longer than necessary, or by incorrectly warning the suspect that a direct refusal will result in further offences being committed. This is not the case.

It is only once the police office have applied and obtained a court order, under section 49 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (commonly known as a RIPA notice), that refusal to provide such information becomes a criminal offence.

Source 

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N