Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Email?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Scam Email?

Got the following email today....

Many thanks for your recent purchase.  We truly value your custom and aim to provide the best customer service possible.

If for any reason you are unhappy with your item, please let us help you resolve the issue before leaving feedback.

I am dedicated to resolve queries quickly and efficiently.

Please contact me via email with your query including your eBay user ID to info3@  digiflex.co.uk ( EMAIL ADDRESS EDITED )

Best regards

Richard hughes
Marketing Executive
Digiflex Ltd
01702 562617

Thanking me for my recent purchase....... ( no mention of what it was )... so I am suspicious...
The company "DIGIFLEX" website is no help, either,...
they do not have a postal address, and say they are "a group of individuals"  and
" We have no definition of what we sell. We only sell things we like, things we've tested" 
the website also says they work from a warehouse in Hockley, Essex... the dial code 01702 is for Southend....  ( Hockley, is part of the area that uses 01702 dial code )
the website also says you can only phone them AFTER you have contacted them via email....
I have made a "recent purchase" on ebay,.... BUT... not from them... and the item I purchased is NOT LISTED on the DIGIFLEX website.
Having done a search for Digiflex, in Hockley, Essex... Yellow pages and Free index cannot find them ... except one firm of Web Designers in MANCHESTER... with the same name.
Needless to say, I haven`t clicked on the email address... the email was correctly addressed to me in the header... No SUBJECT line.... and no "salutation" at the start of the text.....  but I have not had any dealings with them in the past....
Has anyone else had this kind of email before?
11 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Scam Email?

Junk - perhaps, scam - no.  Looks perfectly legit (ie it isn't a phishing attempt and doesn't have a virus payload) to me.
Safe to ignore...
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

maybe its because allegedly Ebay had some accounts hacked recently .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27517907
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I got this circulated by a friend of mine today.
Not scam email, but of interest anyway, probably not worth opening a seperate thread for it.
It might be well known, but I haven't heard it before
        -
        "TAKE NOTE  AND PASS AROUND:
        Subject: VERY COSTLY NEW AREA CODE:

0809 Area Code:  We actually received a call last week from the 0809 area  code, The woman said 'Hey, this is  Karen. Sorry I missed you- get back to us quickly, I  have something important to tell you.' Then she  repeated a phone number beginning with 0809 We  did not respond, this week, we received the  following e-mail:

Do Not DIAL  AREA CODE 0809  ,0284, or 0876 from the UK

This one is being distributed all over the UK ...  This is pretty scary, especially given the way they  try to get you to call.

Be sure you read this  and pass it on.

They get you to  call by telling you that it is information about a  family member who has been ill or to tell you someone  has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have  won a wonderful prize,  etc..
        In  each case, you are told to call the 0809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes  these days, people unknowingly return these calls.
        If you call from the UK you will apparently be charged a minimum of £1500 per-minute, and  you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as  possible to increase the charges.

WHY IT  WORKS:
        The 0809 area  code is located in the Dominican Republic  ....
        The charges afterwards  can become a real nightmare. That's because you DID actually make the call. If you complain, both your  local phone company and your long distance carrier  will not want to get involved and will most likely  tell you that they are simply providing the billing  for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a  foreign company that argues they have done nothing  wrong.

Please forward this  entire message to your friends, family and colleagues  to help them become aware of this  scam."
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pwatson
Rising Star

It's nonsense - International dialling codes don't start with a zero!
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/0809-area-code-uk-scam-warning.shtml
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Please don't shoot the messenger....
But my friend now has to die a ghastly death.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: pwatson
It's nonsense - International dialling codes don't start with a zero!
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/0809-area-code-uk-scam-warning.shtml

https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/images/site_images/7582_Trading_Standards_Alert_25th_October_201... well they say your wrong, apparently the problem is that newer dialling systems will automatically add the second 0 to the start of the number which can mean you get connected though regardless,
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: nanotm
https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/images/site_images/7582_Trading_Standards_Alert_25th_October_201... well they say your wrong

They are wrong.  They've more or less quoted the hoax email word for word but they have at least reduced the predicted per minute rate from £1500/minute.
These viral alerts serve no purpose other than to clog up email systems as they are forwarded by well meaning recipients. Of course, in the last few years they also clog up social media and online forums.  Unfortunately police forces, and it seems trading standards, prove to be gullible and give these scams an air of legitimacy.
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp
http://www.area-codes.org.uk/0809-0284-0876-numbers-warning.php
http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1816
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10943131.Phone_scam_warning_from_East_Lancashire_police/?r... (See the comments section)

Quote from: nanotm
apparently the problem is that newer dialling systems will automatically add the second 0 to the start of the number which can mean you get connected though regardless,

This is nonsense.
Community Veteran

Returning to my original email content.... I have had some thoughts about "why" it was sent...
Perhaps the whole object is, something to do with Ebay being hacked,..... the email address is correct... so the next thing that "someone" sending this type of email, is..... CONFIRMATION.... that the email is correct.... so

Please contact me via email with your query including your eBay user ID

which is very similar to the bank scams, where they want you to confirm certain details by answering...
pwatson
Rising Star

You could just email the company (without your eBay id!) and see if they sent it? You could also look at the email headers and see where it came from?
Or you could just ignore it Smiley
Community Veteran

from the point of view, of taking any action on the content,.... I am not....  as I said in the O.P..  I have not purchased anything from them....
I am only posting on here, to inform others....  Wink
nanotm
Pro

I've had emails from digiflex several times when making purchases on play.com/ amazon and ebay, normally containing order details but never from info3@digiflex always from either info@digiflex or sales @digiflex,  so if you didn't order some small digital gadget off one of those sites I would either delete it without any further thought or if your email handler has the facility, then mark it as a phishing scam, if it was genuine there system will ignore your report, if it was indeed a scam then they will add the address to the blocked list
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you