cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Alert Plusnet Involved

Phaeton
Rising Star

Scam Alert Plusnet Involved

Well it's not really a Scam just sharp practises which is nothing new to Plusnet I rejoined & was enticed by the £50 free prepaid credit card. Just tried to Activate it & cannot as I've left it longer than 3 months, so I'm stuffed, my fault I know, but why? 

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

Re: Scam Alert Plusnet Involved

@Phaeton 

Are you asking us why this could be interpreted to be a scam or sharp practice?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You admit that it's your fault and then call it a scam that plusnet are in on?

For years, gift cards and the like have been known to be a potential loss - you could lose it, the company could go bust... Why on earth would you leave it until after the expiry date to then try and use it?

I think the title of this topic is deliberately trying to shine a bad light on plusnet. Sure they're not perfect but when you then admit it's your fault it comes across as a bit daft that you even started this topic.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah I've never understood the point in Gift Vouchers, or Gift Cards as the PC name is for them now.

I could have a 'Gift Card' which is only valid in a number of shops, subject to them not going under of course and accepting them.

Or cash which is valid anywhere in the UK and can be exchanged abroad for any other currency.

Your starter for 10 - what one would I prefer?

Phaeton
Rising Star

The Scam/Sharp practise is that I am handcuffed into a 18 month deal yet they can escape their responsibility with having to wait 3 months before you can claim the 'Gift Card' which you HAVE to claim it isn't sent out automatically, then you HAVE to use it within 3 months. All this is hidden away in the small print & not in the HUGE £50 FREE GIFT CARD headings, yes it is a daft title, it's a daft thread, but if one person reads it & thinks, Fck I have one of those I best see when it expires & is able to spend it then it's done some good.

I've worked with these cynical marketing types, this is a deliberate ploy, it's built into the matrix, x number of people don't care about the £50, x number of people will forget to claim within 3 months, x number will like me remember to claim but never read the T&C's in micro writing that it has to be used within 3 months, so instead of being able to offer £30 or make the BB £2 a month cheaper, they con/scam/sharp practice it to £50 to get more suckers like me.

But if you don't like my ranting, you can just listen to Dione Warwick instead & Walk on by.

PS I don't need to shine a bad light on Plusnet they do that all for themselves, they are not the company they were in the 1990's the slope started well before BT took over before you come back with that one.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Alex wrote:

Yeah I've never understood the point in Gift Vouchers, or Gift Cards as the PC name is for them now.

Quite so.

I have some pieces of folding plastic in my wallet, inscribed with words

I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of twenty pounds, signed by the chief cashier of the Bank of England.

No such guarantees with gift cards, vouchers etc. 🤔

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

As I walk on by I can’t help wondering why someone who is aware of this ‘scam‘ didn’t make sure that they did not fall into the ‘trap’ and being fully aware that Plusnet is such a terrible ISP, decided to take on a 18 month contract.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Phaeton wrote:

The Scam/Sharp practise is that I am handcuffed into a 18 month deal yet they can escape their responsibility with having to wait 3 months before you can claim the 'Gift Card' which you HAVE to claim it isn't sent out automatically, then you HAVE to use it within 3 months. All this is hidden away in the small print & not in the HUGE £50 FREE GIFT CARD headings, yes it is a daft title, it's a daft thread, but if one person reads it & thinks, Fck I have one of those I best see when it expires & is able to spend it then it's done some good.

I've worked with these cynical marketing types, this is a deliberate ploy, it's built into the matrix, x number of people don't care about the £50, x number of people will forget to claim within 3 months, x number will like me remember to claim but never read the T&C's in micro writing that it has to be used within 3 months, so instead of being able to offer £30 or make the BB £2 a month cheaper, they con/scam/sharp practice it to £50 to get more suckers like me.

But if you don't like my ranting, you can just listen to Dione Warwick instead & Walk on by.

PS I don't need to shine a bad light on Plusnet they do that all for themselves, they are not the company they were in the 1990's the slope started well before BT took over before you come back with that one.

Seriously? - You've worked with people who are experts in marketing these promotions and yet you didn't dodge the bullet yourself?

You not only knew about it but also knew you were entering an 18 month contract for it!

Agreed about PN in general, they don't make themselves look great. We've used them since 2006 ish and even back then they were doing themselves no favours. So why did you sign up for an 18 month contract with that knowledge of their slippery slope?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Phaeton
Rising Star

LOL, you crack me up, 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

We aim to please.  🙂

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah I do understand the point in Gift Vouchers. It is hardly in my favour is it?

Don't know about you, but I have more faith in the the Bank Of England than a closed off selection of buinesses?

Whole point in gift cards is to exchange cash (valid anywhere in the UK and abroad) to a closed off selection of businesses. Then you have £20 or £50 (whatever the value is) to only spend there?

Of course you're going to have to spend the whole amount, otherwise you lose the rest. Unlike cash where ... errmm ... you get the bit you don't use back in change to use somewhere else later on? What would I prefer?

So you use the whole amount of a voucher and probably overspend, which means you're using a bit of cash anyway at that business which you may not have spent had you not had a voucher?

So switching cash for a voucher is essentially free advertising for that business.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

I suspect that as far as businesses are concerned that give out the vouchers the big advantage is that they can go to these retailers and, for example, say, "if you give me 20% reduction in the retail cost of your goods I will send a lot of customers your way". In this example they are giving away vouchers that cost them £40 that are worth £50 to the receipient. That's without the one's that never get cashed in time or because possibly none of the retailers selling anthing the receipient wants to buy..So it's a cheap way of offering what looks like an attractive incentive.

Longliner
Pro
Fixes: 4

My niece worked for a major retailer until Sir Philip Green got to work and destroyed the employment of thousands of people, including her. Before the multi-yachted one got to work she told me that at least one-third of gift cards/vouchers were never cashed, leaving clear profit for Sir Philip and his billionaire missus. Sorry if I sound cross -- but I am.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I once worked for an employer where £10 vouchers were handed out if you did a favour for the company.  There was a long list of retailers that would take the vouchers but none that I would usually shop with or whose products I wanted; the only thing I could buy with my vouchers was socks and I ended up with a year's worth of socks once when I got a number of vouchers.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah @Jonpe 

Not the most exciting thing in the world, but I suppose we all need them! 😐

I used to buy my aunt M&S vouchers for christmas, as I told by my family to get them.

Only other time I had vouchers, was back in the day (cor I feel like Uncle Albert now and nearly said 'During the War!' just then) was when my school had a prize evening and I had £6 in book vouchers. Oh well better than nothing I suppose and I won it twice.