cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaffolding

Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Scaffolding

In our street there is a block of two story flats owned mainly by the council. Three and a half weeks ago they were clad in scaffolding presumably for work to be done on the roof. A portaloo arrived in the street and since then nothing has happened apart from a van coming to empty the (unused) potaloo. Doesnt show much planning by the council to have it there unused for nearly four weeks. Hopefully the council is paying for it on a fixed contract and not paying for the scaffolding weekly!!!!Shocked

12 REPLIES 12
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Scaffolding

Hate to break the bad news, but you'll be paying for it as well.

Welcome to the world of Council Tax.

Don't get me started on my council, I would make a very long post and bore everyone to death.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If the portaloo is going unused, make use of it, after all, you're paying for it in one way or another... 😂

Seasoned Champion

@twocvbloke I think some of the kids in the street have been in it!! What they did while they were in there I dont think I want to knowThumbs_Up

Fixes: 489

Last year some scaffolding was erected on a nearby block of maisonettes by contractors working for the council.

For weeks no-one came officially to use the scaffolding which was soon used as a climbing frame by local kids.

I contacted the council regarding the kids' activities and someone came and put a fence around the base of the scaffolding which the kids removed to regain access.

Eventually the council came and replaced a tile on the roof of the maisonette.

Shortly after the contractors returned and removed the scaffolding.

Work was done from the scaffolding but at what cost to the people of Sheffield.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 84.0.2 (64-bit)

Seasoned Champion

@Strat Of course they are not allowed to work of a ladder and a roof ladder nowadays.....elf and safety and its not their money they are spending!!!!Roll_eyesHuh

Fixes: 423

@twocvbloke wrote:

If the portaloo is going unused, make use of it, after all, you're paying for it in one way or another... 😂

Yes, definitely give the council your penny's worth😉

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Strat wrote:

Shortly after the contractors returned and removed the scaffolding..

Surely it would have been cheaper to hire a cherry picker for the day!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 489

@TTman wrote:

@Strat Of course they are not allowed to work of a ladder and a roof ladder nowadays...

It was more the kids I was concerned about. They were climbing the scaffolding and getting onto the roof of the Maisonette, 30 to 40 feet up at a rough guess.

@7up absolutely but that's not the way councils seem to work.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 84.0.2 (64-bit)

Hero
Fixes: 30

Councils, corporations, ISPs - the bigger the size the less the logic. 🙄

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

It was more the kids I was concerned about. They were climbing the scaffolding and getting onto the roof of the Maisonette, 30 to 40 feet up at a rough guess.

Well, they're not allowed to climb trees and things, so they have to find something to climb that could potentially cause serious injury, we've all done it I'm sure... 😁

Community Veteran

@TTman wrote:

I think some of the kids in the street have been in it!! What they did while they were in there I dont think I want to knowThumbs_Up

In which case, yeah, best give it a miss then, they've probably hosed it down, but in the wrong way......... 😬

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep but when you're kids (quite a safe assumption as we all were once), you try things and don't realise the risks.

I done a classic around 3 months ago around my local pub. I had a few too many light ales (shall we say), and a standing up position chair I missed the rear of my body putting on the chair and fell to the floor.

Nice one Alex - that could have been very bad news for me of course.