Say No2 Diesel... ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Say No2 Diesel... ?

Quote from: twocvbloke
Missuses are never happy

Enough said.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: twocvbloke
Problem with older buses is replacing them with shiny new ones

Yet the actual busses themselves are often ok (ok, minor refurb maybe needed) so i fail to see why they cannot simply fit newer cleaner engines to them.
People swap car engines over all the time, tinker, customise etc. Why can't this be done with busses and the like?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Why can't this be done with busses and the like?

Ask the accountants and the bonus-demanding bosses (also known as "Cost")... Grin
It is a good idea though, back in ye olde days (okay, 1980s & 90s), Leyland-built buses were having their engines replaced as the old Leyland engines were pretty piddle-poor (reliability, fuel economy, reliability, emissions, reliability, noise, etc.), they were upgraded with new Volvo engines, which improved the buses performance and reliability, even the Leyland-built Pacer "railbus" DMUs (class 141, 142 and 143) had their Leyland engines replaced with Cummins engines (same reasons as before, British Leyland syndrome!!), so it is possible to do, and I do believe some of the older Go North East buses round here have had new engines put in as they sound different and proclaim the euro-number things on the back despite being a 1990s model set of buses... Huh
But, there comes a point where upgrading old vehicles (considering wear & tear, chassis age, metal fatigue, etc.) isn't financially viable if the vehicle may be taken out of service in a year or two's time, and reselling them may not recoup the cost of the upgrades, so there's that obstacle to think of too, which is usually the work of the accountant to scupper sensible ideas... Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Here's a bus solution: http://www.capstoneturbine.com/prodsol/solutions/hev.asp
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Trams and trolleybusses, why did the UK decommission these but a significant number of European cities kept them?
Community Veteran

Trams are great, except you need coal, oil, gas and Nuclear power stations to fuel them, I think spent uranium is more worrying than a bit of engine exhaust... Grin
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Here's a bus solution: http://www.capstoneturbine.com/prodsol/solutions/hev.asp

Still got to burn something to do the job, and someone down the line in years to come will be complaining about the emissions from that too if it were to become the mainstay... Grin
At the end of the day, the piston powered engine is the best, most readily available source of instant power, yes it's outperformed by a lot of pure-electric vehicles in terms of get up & go, but, until the day when you can recharge batteries in minutes rather than hours, electric's too far off (plus you still need to burn something at the power station to generate the electricity, thus moving the pollution to somewhere else!!)...
"Hydrogen fuel cell!!" I hear certain people bellow!! Ah, no, you still need petroleum products to split the hydrogen from to obtain it as a fuel at a cheap enough cost for mass fuelling, but also generates a lot of carbon due to the nature of hydrocarbon molecules, splitting water requires far more energy to accomplish (ask a competent scientist with appropriate qualifications on physics and chemistry for full details), so would cost too much for so little output, yes the output of a fuel cell is water, but, it's still an unclean business to obtain the fuel and the material to make the cells...
If you really want people to give up internal combustion for transportation, there's always the Chuckle Brothers' pedal powered quadricycle... Grin
Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Be interesting to know the amount of pollution caused by jet planes per mile compared to the same mile in a modern Diesel or Petrol car.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@twocvbloke the DM last week had an article about how scientists / engineers have found a new way of creating hydrogen:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3050963/Hydrogen-fuel-breakthrough-Clean-power-genera...
Then Audi have managed to find a way of recycling pollution in the air to create new fresh diesel:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3059025/Audi-creates-DIESEL-air-water-fuel-future-pow...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Using catalysts are not new apart from in the minds of journalists  Wink
Both these technologies use electrolysis to dissociate water into hydrogen and oxygen. This has always been a fixation of the green fraternity. Personally I prefer the sulphur iodine process http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur–iodine_cycle to produce hydrogen from a nuclear power station for the quantities required  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Marksfish
Grafter

How is it if diesel is so dirty, the road fund license of my new(ish) car is only £35pa? As RFL is now decided on the emissions produced by a vehicle, surely this means my diesel jalopy is offering less pollutants into the atmosphere than "Jon 2 Jags" in the next lane with his 4 litre petrol car? Could it be they made a bit of a boob with the RFL reductions and now are reaping what they sowed?
Mark
Community Veteran

The RFL taxation is manipulated to get people to move between certain types of car based on what backhander fiddle the government received from whoever (petrochemical co's probably had a big load of diesel that wasn't shifting, said "Oi, Blair, make diesels cheaper or else you don't get this briefcase of cash and a cushy job with us when you're no longer PM"), and people went out and bought a load of diesels accordingly, and Cameron & his LD teaboy must have got the same deal to keep it going... Smiley
Community Veteran

My annual Vehicle Tax (as it now seems to be called) is £0.00 based on emissions (OK they base it on CO2 but I do have a DPF to remove virtually all particulates) from my small Diesel.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.