cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Say No2 Diesel... ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Say No2 Diesel... ?

Last week I had a run down to London in my diesel 2012 Audi A6. It averaged 60 mpg, keeping to the speed limit.  My old 2.2 Vauxhall Sintra would have probably used twice the volume of petrol for the same run.
Modern cars produce less pollution!

It would be interesting to know how much NO2 drifts over from the rest of the EU to contribute to our "load"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Personally I think the hoohah is down to some government departments own agenda. Probably with an eye to future tax gathering.
It wasn't so long ago that petrol engines were the anti-Christ and diesels were our saviour.
It's a sure thing that if electric cars get too popular we will get similar horror stories about the pollution from the making and disposal of their batteries.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
I remember the stinky black exhausts from petrol cars in the days when they used to burn oil at a fair old rate
Or in the case of my old  Cortina which had zero rear visibility when starting off from cold because of the cloud of white smoke as it burnt off the oil in the cylinder

Yeah it has to be said the 80s were bad days for petrol cars. Awful cars they were back then. In my local town centre the air was so thick with emissions you could actually taste the fumes in the air when you breathed in through your mouth. It was the best thing they ever did for the town when the entire area became a pedestrin zone.
Quote from: PlusComUK
Then of course there is the smell...

Busses, lorries, vans / trucks.. they smell absolutely awful. Mind you the diesel itself at the fuel pump stinks just as badly. Having said that, unleaded isn't the nicest of smells either and i frequently find myself trying to hold my breath at the pump..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I find the occasional whiff of unleaded in the air to be quite pleasant (but that's probably due to the benzene in there, a highly addictive, sweet-smelling, strong carcinogenic that is also found in tobacco smoke), but if I'm in my shed working on the fuel systems on my small engines (or just spilling the contents of the carbs everywhere!) with the fumes all around me, I do have to sit outside of my shed for a bit to get some fresh air and clear my ever-dizzying head...
Diesel fuel does smell pretty rank though, similar to kerosene but with more unpleasant "aromatics" thrown in there for good measure, it's why they offer plastic gloves at the pumps when refuelling as getting the stuff on your hands will reek all day, it's no surprise that there are people pouring veg oil into their tanks just to get rid of the stink... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: nanotm
diesel emissions have been known for decades to cause far more harm to the human body than petrol emissions the sole reason for them to be hyped as the best type of vehicle was its cheaper to make diesel and its safer than petrol, they didn't care 15 years ago about the pollution oil burners produced because it wasn't the type they climate change mongs were crying about.....

now the health lobby have finally woken up to the fact its costing billions a year in lung related illnesses and cancer treatments they didn't need to be spending on, not as they have been claiming for the last 30+ years down to smoking tobacco (which might well cause some problems but not anywhere near the numbers of problems caused by the proliferation of old smoky engines)

Yet another example of journalistic ignorance. Note the question mark after the headline.
The use of spark ignition or compression-ignition engines produces the following:
• Carbon monoxide or CO – Carbon monoxide, produced by petrol engines when a car is warming up, is lethal and there have been many accidents involving carbon monoxide poisoning
• Suspended particulate matter or SPM – this is what the tiny particles emitted from the exhaust of a diesel engine are called. Soot is a tell-tale sign of SPM. Modern diesel engines are usually fitted with filters to lessen the amount of SPM emitted, but the bigger problem lies with older diesel engines that do not have particulate filters, and there aren't too many of those around now.
• Hydrocarbon or HC – Hydrocarbons contain harmful chemicals such as benzene, which causes cancer. Petrol engines emit higher levels of HC than diesel
• Nitrous oxide or NOx – Nitrous oxide combines with the lowest level of the ozone layer to form smog. New diesel engines produce a higher amount of NOx than new petrol engines, but petrol-powered cars produce more NOx as time goes by  and emit more after a time.
When it comes to carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and hydrocarbons, it’s better to go with diesel engines. However when it comes to particulate matter, diesel engines lose to petrol. Both stand on equal ground when it comes to nitrous oxide.

Motor manufacturers have invested billions (literally) in diesel engine development. It can't be stopped now. If every vehicle with a diesel engine that performed a commercial function was taken off the roads we would be right in the proverbial clarts. It just wouldn't work.
So let's stop this total BS and drop the prejudice. It's all driven by scientifically ignorant politically driven twerps that have no concept of what modern life is all about. You stand more chance of dying just crossing the road. And comparing our streets with the streets of Bangkok is just crazy. Many of their vehicles don't have emission controls at all! Same with India and other developing countries.

Quote from: itsme link=topic=128944.msg1121893#msg1121893
voltage is a product of flux density x speed so nanotm is correct on that speed does affect voltage

And while we're at it, if you are quoting Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction, there is no mention of velocity in that. If your statement was true, please explain to me how a transformer works! (I know the answer by the way).
GRRRRRR
Community Veteran

I'll be sticking with my clean and green Diesel (DPF equipped) for now.
Journalists are rarely (if ever) engineers and their job isn't to convey facts accurately it's to produce sensational headlines.  Most of them are bilingual, fluent in English (though often with poor grammar) and [Censored].
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Good for you! You do right.
I think this hoo-ha has a lot to do with an attempt to change people's buying habits away from diesel cars to hybrids (with all their hidden pollutants).
their job isn't to convey facts accurately it's to produce sensational headlines

More precisely to sell newspapers.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
it's why they offer plastic gloves at the pumps when refuelling as getting the stuff on your hands will reek all day,

and I'm a frequent user of the gloves myself. You have no idea what chemicals are in unleaded or diesel or the effects they may cause if ingested (eg sandwich from petrol station shop, unwashed hands... suddenly you're swallowing fuel with your bacon and egg sarnie).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Quote from: 7up

suddenly you're swallowing fuel with your bacon and egg sarnie).

Should give you some "get up and go" then..... food is, after all,  fuel for the body !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I used to use it for removing grease from my hands on site
Now mostly I used Swarfega or similar but the grease used on winch cables was untouched by that but diesel did an excellent job  Grin
Community Veteran

You have no idea what chemicals are in unleaded or diesel

Er:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_fuel#Chemical_analysis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Chemical_analysis_and_production
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
It's always funny how it's "the car's fault", what about DMU trains, HGVs, buses, tractors, cranes, etc. which don't always have the same restrictions put on them as cars? Witch hunt indeed...

Buses do have the same restrictions ( I can't say about the others - but  I believe they do) it's all to do with the Euro6 Emission standards.  The smokey, smelly ones are the old vehicles. Angry
Community Veteran

Problem with older buses is replacing them with shiny new ones means ticket costs go up, WAY up, so those of us without the disabled or pensioner passes are priced even further out of the transport market... Grin
Same goes for everything else, if we replaced things every time someone found a minor issue with them, we'd have more waste than we would know what to do with, which requires a lot of energy use to crush, chop up, separate into metals, plastics and glass, break those up into their right for components, recycle it all into raw materials, then make things that resemble what they used to be again, only for them to be crushed, chopped, etc., which makes rather poor sense ecologically speaking...
It's better to Reduce waste by Reusing what you can, Repairing what's fixable, and Recycling what isn't... Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
I used to use it for removing grease from my hands on site
Now mostly I used Swarfega or similar but the grease used on winch cables was untouched by that but diesel did an excellent job  Grin

Swarfega orange is wonderful stuff but i struggled to find it for years until eurocarparts started selling it and then some branches of sainsburys selling the smaller bottles. It truly is a miracle at removing oil etc.
Where i volunteer on a steam engine restoration we sometimes use diesel to get through thick decades old grime. Does a good job but the last time i used it i didn't stop smelling of it for a week  Roll eyes The missus wasn't happy lol.
Community Veteran

The missus wasn't happy lol.

Missuses are never happy with their men messing about with engines, whether it's steam, petrol or diesel... Grin