Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Say No2 Diesel... ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Say No2 Diesel... ?

Campaigners say raised particulate and NO2 levels to blame for thousands of deaths each year.
Pros & Cons......
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-3062179/The-death-knell-diesel-cars-Drivers-targeted-S...
'Today's diesel engines are the cleanest ever, high tech filters capture 99 per cent of particulates and NO2 emissions are down 84 per cent since 2000.'
Data from the SMMT shows that people are start to warm to the idea of alternative car ownership.
There was a large uplift in the number of Hybrid cars shifted !

215 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Say No2 Diesel... ?

This diesel car thing has all the signs of a witch hunt.  The pollution figures are meaningless unless mileage undertaken by any particular car is taken into account. A parked car with its engine switched off produces no pollution, while the act of replacing it creates a lot of pollution.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I see that the company that makes London Taxis has set up a factory to make hybrid taxis to replace all their normal ones. I seem to remember that most of these run on Calor Gas cylinders in the boot anyway so do not enter into the diesel argument.
nanotm
Pro

diesel emissions have been known for decades to cause far more harm to the human body than petrol emissions the sole reason for them to be hyped as the best type of vehicle was its cheaper to make diesel and its safer than petrol, they didn't care 15 years ago about the pollution oil burners produced because it wasn't the type they climate change mongs were crying about.....

now the health lobby have finally woken up to the fact its costing billions a year in lung related illnesses and cancer treatments they didn't need to be spending on, not as they have been claiming for the last 30+ years down to smoking tobacco (which might well cause some problems but not anywhere near the numbers of problems caused by the proliferation of old smoky engines)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
beeceegee
Rising Star

Millions of motorists have bought diesel motors in recent years, for reasons of fuel economy

Only partly for economy - government had been banging on for years about how much better diesels are for greenhouse gas emissions and we should all drive diesels for the sake of the environment. Car producers have invested millions to develop diesels which are almost as clean as petrols as far as NO2 goes.
I suspect the government now sees diesel drivers as an easy source of tax revenue  Angry
Anyway I don't like diesel, it's back to petrol for me this time round
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never understood the fascination with diesel to be honest. Yes more miles per gallon but noisier tractor sounding rattling engines are awful things.
I've driven derv powered cars but only for work. Our personal cars have always been petrol and will continue to be so until something else comes about in our price range that is greener (and by that i don't mean increased MPG, i mean less pollution being put out).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's always funny how it's "the car's fault", what about DMU trains, HGVs, buses, tractors, cranes, etc. which don't always have the same restrictions put on them as cars? Witch hunt indeed...
Marksfish
Grafter

That's the value of my 6 month old car plummeted to rock bottom now  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: twocvbloke
It's always funny how it's "the car's fault", what about DMU trains, HGVs, buses, tractors, cranes, etc. which don't always have the same restrictions put on them as cars? Witch hunt indeed...

I agree and have never quite understood this either. At a heritage line i used to volunteer at they had DMUs and diesel engines.. frankly the damned things were a disgrace.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Because I didn't know I looked it up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
I agree and have never quite understood this either. At a heritage line i used to volunteer at they had DMUs and diesel engines.. frankly the damned things were a disgrace.

It's not just heritage lines, I've been at stations where network rail inspection trains and big ol' coal trains (or whatever it is they carry these days) pulled by rather ancient looking diesel traction units have gone through the station leaving a big ol' fug behind them, I'm not against diesel engines myself as they have a lot of torque in them compared to petrol engines, but, even so having to leave a station platform because of them things causing breathing problems, it is indeed a disgrace...
Even the old Cummins LTA10-Rs in the Pacers aren't THAT bad, still stinky, but not asthma-causingly bad...
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Because I didn't know I looked it up

Seems odd to have Diesel LGV and HGV spilt and with another category in between. It's been donkey's years since they were Heavy Goods Vehicles! They are all Large Goods Vehicles now!
Geoff,
York.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Then of course there is the smell...
I can smell one several cars in front, plus Vans & older commercial vehicles too.
Stationary Diesels at Traffic lights !!!!!
My Aircon is switched to recirculation mode whenever I smell a Diesel.
(Just a button on the Hybrid)

Anyone walked along a street in Bangkok for example !!
All the noisy Tuk-Tuks emitting clouds of black smelly smoke.
And those Diesel driven long propeller shaft craft on the waterways...
Anyway, back to the UK, I find the smell is the worse thing, especially living and driving in the Countryside with its relatively clean and odour free Air.
Apart from those Country smells of course !!
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
It's always funny how it's "the car's fault

You only have to watch the high speed car ferry at Weymouth pile on the power. It disapears in a cloud of smoke.

Quote from: nanotm
diesel emissions have been known for decades

Engines are not the same now as they were decades ago.

Quote from: PlusComUK
Then of course there is the smell...

Of rotten eggs from a petrol engines catalytic converter.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I remember the stinky black exhausts from petrol cars in the days when they used to burn oil at a fair old rate
Or in the case of my old  Cortina which had zero rear visibility when starting off from cold because of the cloud of white smoke as it burnt off the oil in the cylinder