cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving my Soul

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Saving my Soul

Had a couple of callers around the other day offering to save my Soul, asked what it would cost and they said nothing, so asked if I had to give up drinking, (you have to imagine the rest of the things on the list as they would only get censored by one of our vigilant moderators) but was told I would have to give them up as well including Tea & Coffee !
Sadly had to inform them the price was to high !
What do you tell these type of callers ?
And yes I do have a notice on the door with a long list of people who I do not want calling but few seem able to read these days.
9 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Saving my Soul

MoneysSavingExpert.com has a variety of messages for combinations of salespersons/charities and religious groups.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk#coldcallers
They won't help if the caller chooses to ignore them but at least they quote a law which salespersons allegedly will be breaking. This may deter some.
Sadly it seems that there is no law against non-salespersons  knocking at the door. I wonder about buyers - today it was someone  (not from a charity) at my door wanting to buy odds and ends.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Had a couple of callers around the other day offering to save my Soul,
callers ?

If they are from Mormons or Jehovahs Witnesses I can quite truthfully tell them that as a Christian and a Methodist Local Preacher I know I am saved, I know  more about the Bible than they do and go away!!
But all anyone needs to do is just not answer the door to any caller that you are not expecting.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Knock Knock ......
(open door)...  (see who it is... not recognised......)
"Sorry, not today thank you"....
Close door .... resume interrupted lifestyle.............. Cheesy
Fixes: 125

That about how it works for me.
Occasionally they manage to get as far as 'Can I...' before I get my well-rehersed 'No thank you' and start to close the door.
I can't see the point of posting signs as I doubt whether many will actually bother to read them. If even if they do they probably just chance their arm anyway.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

we have just moved into a "very urban area"... streets and streets of houses, easy target for leaflet and other wallies with naff all better to do.....
I was amazed at the number of food outlet, charity bags, and other junk stuff that came through the door (including via the post man).... in the first week.... so...
Got me a bit of old cardboard from one of our boxes and wrote in biro,....
"No Junk mail....including food outlet leaflets etc in this letter box,
Please use the black bin , next to the green one, Provided for this stuff"
( The black bin is parked out the front where the car goes)  ( used to be the front garden, now offstreet parking on every house.... narrow road....).
And hey presto... I only get genuine mail in my letter box.... even the post man respects my notice....
We do get the odd charity bag,  which I guess is from those that can`t read... or just go in blind to every letter box they come across........ but they end up in the bin anyway.... !
BryanP
Grafter

I tell them I am working from home and I am in the middle of an imortant task
They always apologise and GO AWAY
kmilburn
Grafter

If find those charity bags very helpful; my local council collects plastic for recycling and wants it in white (or clear) bags.
I haven't had to buy any so far due to the frequent supply of free ones  Wink
Fixes: 47

A couple of weeks ago I received a call from a friend. At the same time there was a knock at the door.
I went to the front window with phone in hand, saw it was a salesman at the door,  showed him the phone and he mouthed "sorry" and went away.
I then thought to myself excellent idea, keep a phone handy near the door Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Reminds me of someone who called last year and started with the words, " I am pleased to tell you, you have won a prize" to which I replied, "It's your lucky day because you can have it" and shut the door !