cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving money by buying HP compatible cartridges?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Saving money by buying HP compatible cartridges?

HP are getting a bit touchy about people not using their proprietary cartridges. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37408173

I personally use genuine Epson cartridges in my Epson printer because it is not worth the problems with clone ink, but this move is a bit naughty by HP.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
18 REPLIES
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Re: Saving money by buying HP compatible cartridges?

Think that's bad?

I've got an air freshener that can detect non-original refills Grin

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Fixes: 47

HP printers start rejecting budget ink cartridges

Potential customers start rejecting HP printers.

My saucepan is rejecting Tesco Gravy Granules in favour of genuine Bisto.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have been refilling and resetting canon printer cartridges for years without any issues for years, sadly the quality of many canon printers are not as good as the older ones and once this gives up the ghost I will use one of the shops that do the printing of photographs for you

For all other printing I use a Brother HL- 3150 CDW Laser printer, which has cartridges that can easily be refilled and reset, details at,

www.urefilltoner.co.uk

Community Veteran

My HP printer has a surplus of cartridges all genuine.

Courtesy of Freecycle.

New cartridges are often so expensive that it's cheaper to buy a new printer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Perhaps the solution to those who use HP printers is here,

www.HP.com/instantink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I have a HP CP2025 colour laser printer I got off ebay for £30-ish (faulty cos it wouldn't pick up paper, bodged it into working by flipping a rubber ring over on the pickup wheel), came with 4x toner cartridges already in it, the Magenta and the Yellow are declared as "Empty" and I "Must replace them immediately", but with the software bypass to ignore the "Empty" state enabled, they've been printing fine, Magenta's got a few lines in it due to a scratched pickup roller in it, but it still prints decent images... Smiley

Only bought it because I print so little in a year that inkjets tend to dry out & clog up between uses, last printer before the HP, and of course, with inkjet printers getting so canal without the c about non-genuine or re-manufactured cartridges, I'd rather not pay £30 or more per 5 sheets of paper a year!!! Crazy2

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well it's where they make there money of course. Have not long dumped my HP after the ink jet 'exploded' throwing ink over the inside of the printers gubbins. Now have a new Canon bought for less than the price of a couple of their own cartridges. Stick to the genuine article is the advice I give myself, and don't bother with colour printing just use the local chemist shop (in my case) or wherever. 

Nothing but a 'cartridge con' of course but I'm sure we've all learnt that lesson. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

In the 70s, there were films made about the office of tomorrow, where the future would be completely paper free, no typewriters, no ink, no stamps, just computers and electronic documents sent electronically, never did happen, and companies like HP are pretty happy that it didn't, cos they can milk the paper age for all its worth (and thensome)... Crazy2

But, it is basically trying to monopolise the printer market, making sure nobody else but the OEMs can sell ink to the end user at an overly-inflated cost, and the sad thing is, the cost of ink per gram is MORE than the cost of gold!! Except gold actually holds a decent resale value when you're done using it... Funny

I really don't see how inkjet cartridges can cost so much, it's a plastic bottle with barely ink-wetted sponges inside and a few minor electronics, total cost to manufacture is probably maybe about 50p a cartridge, the rest is just taking the piddle...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

twocvbloke wrote:

I have a HP CP2025 colour laser printer I got off ebay for £30-ish (faulty cos it wouldn't pick up paper, bodged it into working by flipping a rubber ring over on the pickup wheel), came with 4x toner cartridges already in it,:

I'll top that 2cv!!

Back in 2009 someone on my local freecycle offered a dead colour laser printer - a konica minolta (I've mentioned it several times on this board). I emailed the guy and asked if I could have it and a day or two later I brought it home. It's huge and naturally living in a tiny place the missus hit the roof about the space this dead thing would take up and what was the point etc.

Well me being me I had the mainboard out and found the memory was gone. Replaced that and turned it on... it only started printing out beautiful colour test pages so obviously something was working. Tried hooking it up via the network and nothing.. a bit of fiddling but still nothing so i went for USB which worked.. and shared it via windows. I had no idea how much toner was left but as long as it kept printing i was happy. I later found out that the external paper feeder didn't work but that wasn't a massive issue.

So.. 3-4 years (of free regular printing) go by and i'm a bit bored one night and decided to have a look at this networking thing again. Pulled out the board and had another look and nothing was standing out as burned etc.. so i looked at the actual socket for the network cable. One of the contacts had somehow got pushed up and stuck behind a neighbouring contact. I freed it by putting a thing piece of plastic between them and it pinged loose and back into place. Plugged in a cable and bingo.. network connectivity. With that came access to the admin panel in the printer which showed the toners getting low but still enough for several hundred pages.

Well as luck would have it, last year - a staggering six years of free printing later - two toners ran out. Now being an old machine they obviously turned up quite cheaply on ebay and so they were ordered and put in and the machine put back into service... SIX YEARS after I got it for nothing!

Well last week it finally gave up the ghost in its 7th year. The transfer unit decided it had run out of whatever its run out of and the machine now refuses to print. I can get another but they're not exactly cheap so it may well have come to its natural end now.. which would be a flaming shame considering the two new toners and the fuser unit still having thousands of pages left. In truth I suspect we'll buy the transfer unit at some point in the future and it'll rumble on again as we can't cope long without a printer. I suspect the reason it was discarded in the first place was because the networking stopped failed and the previous owners probably thought the printer was toast and scavenged the memory from it before getting shot.

They say the best things in life are free.. and I've always disagreed with that considering the money people spend on luxury cars etc however for the printer I'll make an exception.

We also have a canon MX525... great little machine and has an ADF scanner which is cool.. but everytime you turn it on/off it drinks ink to clean its heads.. something the older printers rarely needed doing. Thats now sat here with empty black because we became so reliant on the laser...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The transfer unit's probably just reached a page count in the printer's counters, probably a way to reset it to zero and get it going again, did something similar with the Epson C46 that the HP replaced when the Epson decided it was time for a "service", which just meant it had reached a page count that triggered the "I refuse to print now, so go stuff yourself" mode, found a free tool online to reset it and of it went again... Smiley

I'm just hoping that HP of mine will last, apparently they were poor quality models, but so far, aside from issues with using thin paper that gets stuck now and then in the duplexer, it's been a pretty decent printer...

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

The transfer unit's probably just reached a page count in the printer's counters, probably a way to reset it to zero and get it going again

Any ideas on this? - I did google but found nothing... anything you can recommend?

Community Veteran

Not knowing the model of the printer, er, no... Grin

Community Veteran

konica minolta qms magicolor 3100