Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save the planet!

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Save the planet!

Just filled in an official UK government form.

Can I save it as a pdf form, Sure but everything I've entered won't be saved.

On the form it says if I want a copy to print it off.......all 11 pages!!!!!  Crazy2 Crazy3

You really couldn't make it up and here I was thinking we'd gone modern. Like save a copy to disk.

I did have a go but up popped a warning...... only blank pages will be saved.

Quite obviously saving the planet only applies to us morons out in the real world.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Save the planet!

@idonno    One way around the problem of not being able to save the form as a "file" in any format.... is to use the PrintScreen option, on every page....  If you cannot use the PrtScr  for some reason..... install "Lightshot" as an add-on with Firefox, or download it as an app.

then you can have a "photocopy" as a series of files.. !

Simples  ! !

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

Just filled in an official UK government form.

Can I save it as a pdf form, Sure but everything I've entered won't be saved.

On the form it says if I want a copy to print it off.......all 11 pages!!!!!  Crazy2 Crazy3

@idonno 

At the printing stage, don't you have an option to select different printers?  If so, do you get an option to print to a PDF file (as opposed to Save as a PDF) rather than a physical printer?

I get that option, but possibly because I have Adobe Acrobat installed (not just the 'reader').

Highlighted
Pro

I filled in one like that a bit back. Driving licence application?

Can't remember, I've filled in a few.

Isn't there something about the browser you use?

Or is that just in my imagination?

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 8

Lots of free PDF printers out there, although I think windows installs "Microsoft print to PDF" as standard.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I use CutePDF Writer for when I need to "print" something to a PDF:

https://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Highlighted
Pro

I've used LibreOffice for years, and that has the option to save as pdf.

In fact I just remembered about what I said earlier. IIRC, if you saved in Word, it'd save the form for you, but it wouldn't in Libre Office.

Not a good enough reason for me getting MS Office.

I think that's the only time I've had a problem.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

If you have MSword you can choose 'insert' and 'screen clipping' and I lets you draw a box around just the bit you want, not the whole screen like 'prt scr' does.  

If you have win10 you have a program called 'snip and sketch' which saves screen snips to clipboard, then you can paste these into Libre writer document and either save as a libre document or in file menu 'export as PDF' and give it a name - or save as libre doc and export as PDF with same name.  I have found with snip and sketch that if you check in settings and you have 'auto copy to clipboard' selected ON, that it does not save clipping to clipboard, another Windows bug......

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@RobPN wrote: At the printing stage, don't you have an option to select different printers? 

No other options displayed - just the printer. Tried several other routes (got enough pdf readers and creators) and all came up with a warning that anything I'd entered would not be saved. I could print the form itself (fill it in and send it off job) but that is about it.

Although I viewed the website in a browser, clicking the link to get the form only opened a box with a form in it which says

Please wait... If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux®  blah blah ...

Out of the four readers I have, only Adobe Reader seemed to work.

Good old HMRC.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@shutter  I use prtscr all the time but it is a faff when it comes to saving 11 pages (more actually as one page of the form is more like 2 screens shots. Still I could always scan the pages and create a pdf file that way but hang on......, isn't that where I came in. Huh Paper.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@idonno   I only suggested it cos you wanted to "save the planet " ! ! ! .. and although you say it probably takes a couple of "saves" a page.... as my mother used to say to me, when she gave me half a slice of bread and dripping for my tea... and I complained, I was still hungry...    "half a slice is better than none"... Of course.. half a page saved is relevant in your case ! ! ! Cheesy 

have a nice day .. Wink

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I was unable to fill in a government pdf form in Firefox, but it wasn't a problem in IE11.  I e-mailed it to work so I could print it off there which means that at least I have a filled in copy attached to the e-mail in my 'sent' folder.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've set my small company up to use pdf copies for all documents. We have a full Adobe Acrobat subscription on all of our PC's and laptops. Incoming paper documents are scanned to pdf on arrival and stored on hard-disk with a regular daily backup to Amazon AWS filestorage (about $3 month). If we send a printed document to someone, that gets scanned too. We then chuck the original paper document into a bin for occasional shredding unless we have to retain a legal physical copy.  Even our accounting system (Xero) is now paperless, with my accountant based 200 miles away. We keep an additional copy of bills/invoices in pdf form on the Xero system.  I don't get stacks of paper accumulating and it can all be be remotely accessed securely when necessary, though a client site, their firewalls can be a problem.

If an official system doesn't handle adobe forms properly, it can be a pain, but most systems are improving. Even PlusNet does pdf invoices.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

For the last 7 or 8 years I have scanned all important documents into PDF and copied onto two external hard drives and two thumb drives,  the original  is then deleted from PC hard drive - every week I bleach free disk space with Norton Utilities seems to me to be prudent not to keep sensitive info like bank statements and tax returns etc on a device connected to internet,  So I only plug in external drives when i need to write some new documents or look at something and then disconnect straight after. What I would like is a PC that never gets connected to internet,  but that is not easy these days when you need internet access to do almost anything.... I also have Norton 360 and MalwareBytes running in real time, and they seem to co-exist just fine.    I try never to go on internet using any account with administrator privileges as well, but sometimes you need to,  but keep it to bare minimum.