cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save a Life

Community Veteran

Save a Life

Many school children in America are being taught Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).  It's easy to do and could save a life.
The method being taught is hands only CPR.  This was first introduced by the Mayo Clinic.
CPR
You may remember the TV advert here which featured Vinney Jones
Vinney Jones
Is this something we should teach older school children here?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Save a Life

Ii personally think this should be taught in all schools.
I remember the VJ ad well and was shocked that they say only chest compressions are now needed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

I have a basic First Aid qualification, I did a one day course in Rotherham back in July for it.

Community Veteran

I think there is a reluctance these days to breathing into the mouth.  As VJ says in the video 'You only kiss your wife'.  
I remember reading some of the early reports from Mayo and they found the technique as effective as the old one, and it's so easy to do.
Fixes: 123

I did a course a few years ago when I worked voluntarily at a local hospital. Not only did we learn CPR but also how to use a defibrillator. Mouth to mouth was included in the course.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Defibrillators are a useful addition to helping to save life. We have some at my club and they are simple to use even if you've not used one before.  The machine talks to you and gives instructions how to use it. Clever Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hands only CPR will not work with someone like me who has asma, if you use hands only CPR on someone who has breathing problems thay are going to stay dead, so if you can do the old method of CPR please do, don't do the new method of CPR.