Save Teesside Airport - Petition

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Save Teesside Airport - Petition

Hi All
Please sign this petition:
Save Teesside Airport

Teesside has suffered unprecedented declines in jobs and industry over the past years. Allowing a housing development would ultimately close our airport and destroy any chances of economic investment and development. The people of Teesside have had enough; our transport infrastructure is poor here in the North and on Teesside especially
Every signature towards this petition is your voice to help prevent this decline. We need more job opportunities for now and the future for our children. It is vitally important we stop this development Please Sign The Petition NOW.  We have the backing of local MP’s and councillors. Add some of your steel to our petition.
Passenger numbers peaked in 2006 when the airport was used by nearly 1 million passengers. Those passengers, brought money, business and opportunities to Teesside as well as those going on holiday. The Northern Power House is not just about Manchester, Leeds & Newcastle. It is also about Teesside, Please Sign The Petition, it only takes 30 seconds.
Teesside over the past 100 years has been a centre of excellence for Ship building, Steel making, Heavy Engineering, Chemicals. Technological advancements. All of which will become non-existent if our Airport closes.
Peel Airports Ltd has slowly ran the airport down. To build 400 houses, who has ever seen an airport with 400 houses on it?
Please Sign The Petition

We need 74 to reach 10,000 Please, Please Sign The Petition
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Save Teesside Airport - Petition

I signed. I used to fly Teeside Aberdeen direct flight.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Mal08
Rising Star

Although I live in the deep south, I have signed this as I used Teeside a few times in the past when on north sea oil related business and found it very useful .
Looking at the website - it seems there are very few flights to London for onward connections but as always Amsterdam features heavily so great for onward connections there
Good luck
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quite happy to sign it but almost everything is about money these days, if the owners think they will get more by selling it for houses and the Local Council are unwilling to buy or fund it due to the constant reduction in real terms of government money given to councils then there is little chance it will remain open although I hope I am wrong.
The lack of good transport systems is also essential and little chance of that when we are unable to even repair the vast number of pot holes in todays road.
Sorry to sound so negative.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just 28 more signatures needed you are almost there.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A bit of checking as I used to fly from there via Schiphol or Heathrow and it was a great link point - there is even a picture in the archives of me flying back in after signing a major order in 1978
This came up
https://bdaily.co.uk/industrials/12-11-2015/whats-going-wrong-at-tees-valley-airport/
In 2006, 917,963 passengers used the airport – many of them flying out for their annual holidays in Spain, Majorca and Tenerife.
By 2009, passenger numbers had dipped below 300,000 and have continued to decline every year since then, to their 2014 figures of 142,379.
and from this my supposition is that the holiday market collapsed and I have no idea why that should be the case
Further checking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Tees_Valley_Airport#Passengers_and_movements
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gleneagles
Quite happy to sign it but almost everything is about money these days, if the owners think they will get more by selling it for houses and the Local Council are unwilling to buy or fund it due to the constant reduction in real terms of government money given to councils then there is little chance it will remain open although I hope I am wrong.

Hence why I said instead of funding yet another runway for london, send the money up this way where we have plenty of international runways that need investment, but aren't getting the funding because "It's up north"...
Fixes: 125

I have signed it.
We lost Kent International Airport (Manston) recently which has had a big impact on the area.
Edit: 12 more needed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thank you, thank you one and all we did it 10,001 supporters, it will now go to parliament to be debated.  Smiley  Wink
Mal08
Rising Star

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Glad to help.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Midnight
Thank you, thank you one and all we did it 10,001 supporters, it will now go to parliament to be debated.   Smiley  Wink

not necessarily.
there are still circumstances where it won't, even if it reached the 10,000 figure.
Community Veteran

I wonder if anyone has done a feasibility study on the airport Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

as I suggested earlier
unless they can get one of the big tour companies back it will never be economical
when I used it yonks ago there were two feeder routes - one into Heathrow and one into Amsterdam but now with Amsterdam only it has to be down to tourism as the decline in industry etc in its catchment zone will mean that business use will be minimal also train times to London from Darlington being around 2.5 hours won't help
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's thatcher's dream, kill off the working class and keep the money in the south for the rich kids...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
I have signed it.
We lost Kent International Airport (Manston) recently which has had a big impact on the area.
Edit: 12 more needed

I was just thinking about that while reading this thread.
Sadly I see Manston being repeated in this case. The stupid thing is that Manston is a very good option for freight - it can be in, unloaded and reloaded and taking off in under half an hour. At the other major two airports by the M25 it can take them several hours to do it. The only thing Manston wasn't great for was passenger flights - we could never find any to where we wanted to go.
I also have a pilot in the family and he said Manston was great and far superior to Lydd because the runway was so big. He reckoned all the pilots he knew liked Manston because it was such a nice wide strip to land on with ease. I always found it nice to drive past it and look at the planes at the side which I think were / are being broken up?
Then it turned out one of the councillors at KCC had been working with the owners to get houses built on the site all along. When you have politicians working against the public over a much loved asset you have no chance of saving it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!