cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save C-jay

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Save C-jay

A dog owner is appealing for a reprieve for her pet after he was ordered to be destroyed by a court for attacking a neighbour's cat.
Staffordshire bull terrier C-Jay attacked the cat in Dundee on February this year.
Last week Dundee's Justice of the Peace Court ordered that the family pet be destroyed for leaving neighbour Scott McInearney’s cat Bobby with a broken leg, jaw and sternum.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/tayside/265451-appeal-after-court-orders-dog-to-be-put-down-for-attackin...
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Save C-jay

I'm not a fan of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Staffordshire Bull Terriers can be very good family pets but it is how the owner trains/looks after them that can cause problems.
However, all Terriers have strong prey drive and small moving furry animals are prey unfortunately.
My Cairn Terrier chases cats but fortunately they are all too fast for her plus the fact that I hang onto her lead very tightly if we come across one as I do not know what would happen.  However, many dogs do come off worse when they tangle with a cat as the cat has claws and I know of some dogs who have lost their sight after an encounter with a cat. 
itsme
Grafter

Hopefully it will send out warning to other dog owners that they are responsible to control their dogs. Like my neighbour when their dog got into my garden and I had get it to drop a cat which belong to my other neighbour. In this case the cat did not survive.  
Fixes: 125

Send the Staffordshire Bull Terrier to a caring home and have the owner put down?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Should cats be destroyed for killing birds and other small creatures?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If only owners would control their cats rather than letting them provoke their neighbour's dog. We have dogs who regard our back garden as their own territory to defend. It's a wolf pack thing. Unfortunately our neighbours allow their cats to climb the garden fences and invade the dogs' territory. The result is predictable.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Cats are allowed to roam freely, I feel sorry for the cat but even sorrier for the dog, Poor thing, Hope It works out well, Would hate to see the dog being sent down for this. I bet you the chap who sentenced the dog to death Is a huge cat lover. Flea carriers If you ask me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: AlaricAdair
If only owners would control their cats rather than letting them provoke their neighbour's dog. We have dogs who regard our back garden as their own territory to defend. It's a wolf pack thing. Unfortunately our neighbours allow their cats to climb the garden fences and invade the dogs' territory. The result is predictable.

Never had a cat have you. You can't control a cat like you can a dog. They're not pack animals. They're independent and they do as they want not what you want. Cats do climb fences - thats how they work and its part of their instrinct. You can't control where a cat can or can't go - it means nothing to them and this is why owners can't be held accountable for a cats actions.
Dogs are different. Dogs are pack animals and they need to have a leader - the owner and they do obey commands. Therefore that ultimately means that the owner is mostly responsible for a dogs actions if it does wrong.
It must be said though.. the judge has lost the plot. The dangerous dogs act used to be for dogs that attacked humans not for dogs that are following their god given instincts.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well its an interesting idea...controlling a cat. Dogs do what their owners want out of loyalty and because they want to. Cats do what they want. It is true that some breeds of cat can be trained to do minor "tricks" our Abyssinian will leave her dead mice in a dish outside if she feels like it, but don't count on it.
The only real way to control a cat is to treat it as an indoor only cat, as many owners do. Personally, I think this is a cruel way to treat a pet cat, going completely against a cats natural instincts. Not only that but many in-only cats become bored and destructive and, their bodily functions can be extremely smelly. Left to their own devices, cats like to patrol their territory regularly, and this is where the trouble with neighbors can start. Urban cats territory can be as small as a 100 yards square, but that 100 yards square may not include your garden, artificial barriers mean nothing to cats.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

As Terry Pratchett said - The ancient Egyptians used to worship cats - and the cats won't let you forget it.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Rather than worry about what cats do. We should worry about what humans do to cats...I hope that despicable pond-life who was all over the news yesterday on CCTV swinging a cat around by its tail is caught post-haste and gets a taste of his own medicine.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I echo your sentiments Petlew. What a despicable individual.
nadger
Rising Star

@Petlew - I think most of us would agree as to how that character should be punished   Cry
Neighbour 2 doors away has a rescue Staff and it's as daft as a brush  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

link to the Cat CCTV, not going to show the pics on here,  They think they have identified the idiot from Ramsgate
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059495/Police-identify-suspect-swung-cat-tail-Ramsgate.html

edited pic below